Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Layover in Panama City for 20 hours of Lima Peru for 15 hours?

Layover in Panama City for 20 hours of Lima Peru for 15 hours?

Old Mar 8, 16, 12:24 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Posts: 1,630
Layover in Panama City for 20 hours of Lima Peru for 15 hours?

I have a 730 AM from Cuzco to Lima in early May, and after that I have two options.

1. Stay in Lima all day and catch a midnight flight to Houston
2. Take a 4 PM flight to Panama City, spend the night there, and take 325 PM flight the next to Houston

Any recommendations?
slickvik is offline  
Old Mar 8, 16, 3:27 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by slickvik View Post
I have a 730 AM from Cuzco to Lima in early May, and after that I have two options.

1. Stay in Lima all day and catch a midnight flight to Houston
2. Take a 4 PM flight to Panama City, spend the night there, and take 325 PM flight the next to Houston

Any recommendations?
I'd do #2. Go visit the Canal or something. Panama is pretty cheap
Redwood839 is offline  
Old Mar 8, 16, 8:53 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Heraklion, Greece
Posts: 6,606
Originally Posted by Redwood839 View Post
I'd do #2. Go visit the Canal or something. Panama is pretty cheap
I didn't find Panama pretty cheap, nevertheless, knowing both cities, I agree that a visit to the Canal is more "interesting" than a day in Lima; it's something really unique. For or something, Lima would have my preference.

PS For all it's worth, I preferred the ceviche in Lima to the Panamanian version (I had several in both places), but this is a matter of taste.
KLouis is offline  
Old Mar 9, 16, 9:36 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: PTY
Programs: UA Gold, CM nada
Posts: 385
Being very familiar with both places, I'd recommend #2 as well. And you still have time to get good ceviche for an early lunch in Lima and make it back in time for your flight.
YadiMolina is offline  
Old Mar 10, 16, 12:45 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: SJO - MAN - LAX
Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Posts: 528
Originally Posted by KLouis View Post
I didn't find Panama pretty cheap, nevertheless, knowing both cities, I agree that a visit to the Canal is more "interesting" than a day in Lima; it's something really unique. For or something, Lima would have my preference.

PS For all it's worth, I preferred the ceviche in Lima to the Panamanian version (I had several in both places), but this is a matter of taste.
Probably the cheapest in the region (apart from El Salvador).

The only good things to see in Lima are in Miraflores and maybe a couple of places in downtown. But rush hour traffic and a long trip from Miraflores are a terrible mix.
Redwood839 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread