FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   [Costa Rica] Barcelo San Jose Palacio Review (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1750474-costa-rica-barcelo-san-jose-palacio-review.html)

Redwood839 Mar 2, 2016 3:12 pm

[Costa Rica] Barcelo San Jose Palacio Review

Hi All,

Couldn't find a place to post this but here is a copy and paste from my TripAdvisor and Expedia reviews.

I've stayed at this hotel a good 7 times, and they always treat me with respect and excellent service regardless of my +Gold status. Lately it's just been a complete mess.

I actually got a room that was occupied and had a couple doing it's business on the bed :confused::confused::confused:

Stayed at this hotel on 2/27. I am a Expedia VIP +Gold status, and it reflects for them, as I've stayed at least 5 times at this hotel and they usually send me to the Premium level floor to check myself in and treat me like a god. This time I arrived to a receptionist which did not greet me at all, and probably because I look young didn't provide anything close to good service.

I tell them I am Gold and that I usually receive an upgrade and check in on the 6th floor to which there is NO acknowledgement and says later there is no upgrades. So you know, whatever, I head to my room which was 328 and I open the door and LOW AND BEHOLD, there was a couple on the bed having sex. It's one of those things you always joke about but you never think it's going to happen. WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL.

I furiously head downstairs and tell the same person that checked me in to get me a manager and he responds with a grumpy "What's the problem?" to which I tell him, and ABSOLUTELY NO APOLOGY WHATS SO EVER. He leaves, and gets me the supervisor on duty "Sebastian" to which comes with a confronting attitude and tells me "What's the problem?"

Of course I go ballistic on the guy, and again NO apology (SERIOUSLY PEOPLE, NOT MAKING THIS UP). Takes my room key, goes on the computer and he prints out another card and says, here you go. ANOTHER ROOM JUST LIKE THAT! NO APOLOGY, NO HOLY CRAP WHAT THE HELL, NOTHING.

I stop him immediately and call Expedia which in turns calls him, and he says to compensate for the issue, they will UPGRADE ME and provide me the benefits of a premium member WHICH I AM ALREADY ENTITLED TO but was denied when I checked in. Are you kidding me?!?!!?!?

Absolutely pissed at this point, I ask him to get the general manager which is no where to be found, and his solution is to offer me a buffet dinner because of course, that's going to fix everything. I'm absolutely flaming at this point so my girlfriend takes over and gets assurance that the manager will look for us tomorrow morning first thing when he gets in.

Of course it didn't happen! Upon check out, I ask for the manager, 1 HOUR LATER AND THEY DON'T FIND HIM ANYWHERE!! Not at the hotel, no where to be found, no one cares. They end up bringing me the restaurant manager because apparently he was the only person to be found, and this is the only person that apologized to me and looks shocked about what happens.

He offers a 1 night free day to compensate and a free lunch to which I decline and tells me that he will process it within 1 day and takes my info down and gives me his cell phone. 5 days later still no call from him, so I call expedia Gold support to complaint and they contact the hotel and they assure that they WILL NOT compensate me for the inconvenience.

Needless to say, as others have mentioned in the last reviews, this hotel was a mess like never seen. At the counter every time I went there were people complaining and screaming at the clerks for one reason or another. Even the restaurant manager accepted it was a complete mess.

I will escalate this matter as high as I can to the Barcelo chain, and I will report this to every single ministry I can in Costa Rica, they handled this incorrectly, and they should be thankful I didn't have my kids with me, cause if I did and they saw that scene, I would sue them in every single way I could.