Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Help with Planning Nicaragua/Guatamala trip using points

Old Dec 29, 15, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

This forum has been so helpful so I thank the experts in advance for their opinion as I plan my upcoming Central America trip. I've been to several countries there already (Costa Rica, Belize, Honduras, Mexico) and am now dying to get to Nicaragua and Guatamala. I'd love to figure out some way to use United or AA miles to cover both in one trip with a stopover/open jaw without having to use double the miles--is this possible?

Also, I'd like to take a whole month in February so I really have time to get a feel for both countries (at least a couple places in each and not feel rushed) but I will have to work weekdays at least 3 of the weeks so need to find places with reliable internet/wifi. Are there any cities you would recommend I base myself in each country with that in mind then take side trips over weekends to beaches, volcanoes, etc?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Cathy
Old Dec 30, 15, 8:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Your questions are pretty general, too general to be able to get an adequate answer here. Some guidebook research would serve you well.

Both American and United fly to Nicaragua and Guatemala. You could use either to book one-way flights to/from the US. Avianca and Copa connect MGA with GUA. Since those are Star Alliance airlines, you'd need to use United miles to book that flight. But February isn't far off. Would there still be availability? You'll have to do some digging.
Old Jan 1, 16, 2:14 pm

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I can only give some advise on Guatemala. I have family there and go visit regularly.
I would make base camp in Antigua Guatemala. From there you have many options for tours to other places like:
-Tikal
-Panajachel
-Xela
-Volacan Pacaya

As far as places to go eat there is a ton there. Some of my favorites are:
-Panza Verde
-La Cuevita de Los Urquizu
-Pollo Campero
-Cafe Condesa
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Plat, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I would try and do a r/t award with AA into MGA and out of GUA or the opposite and then use miles for Copa between the two on United (usually pretty cheap and there's often availability).

For Nicaragua I suggest staying in Managua as your base (the Hilton is really good) and then renting a car to drive to the nearby sights in Granada, Masaya and Leon. I did this two years ago and had a great time, it's a beautiful country.
Old Jan 2, 16, 9:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
For Nicaragua I suggest staying in Managua as your base (the Hilton is really good) and then renting a car to drive to the nearby sights in Granada, Masaya and Leon. I did this two years ago and had a great time, it's a beautiful country.
I disagree with the above advice. Managua is a big, sprawling, mostly ugly city with, admittedly, some great hotels and restaurants. It will also be your best bet for reliable Wi-Fi too. But Granada and Leon excel in their selection of colonial architecture that has been converted into charming inns -- good Wi-Fi is pretty standard in those places too -- and trendy restaurants and in sights in general too. I think it would be a shame to have to rush back to Managua each night.
Old Jan 5, 16, 12:48 pm

Programs: MileagePlus, Star Alliance, Starwood, Priority Club, Delta Skymiles
Guatemala advice

A group of women that fish around the world recently (November 2015) went there and fished and did sightseeing in addition. I heard about the trip over a dinner and got contact info, in case I ever wanted to go.

Guatemala has some of the best fishing in the world, so start there and plan around that. Also, the Wifi at this lodge is excellent because I was texted and emailed photos everyday.

Contact Kristen Thomas at this fishing lodge with offices in USA. She can help you plan the fishing and all the side trips you want to do.

[email protected]

Depart MIA American Flight 2241 Arrive GUA 11:37AM
OR
Depart IAH 9:11AM United flight 1751 Arrive GUA 12:10PM

Depart GUA 12:35PM American flight 2359 Arrive MIA
OR
Depart GUA 1:08PM United Flight 1903 Arrive IAH 4:09PM

CASAVIEJALODGE.COM
Old Jan 5, 16, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great tips. I think I've narrowed down based on suggestions here and on other websites blogs to basing myself in Granada for Nicaragua and Antigua for Guatamala. I'm still having trouble with the flight routing. I thought I saw where United had a stop in Nicaragua to guatamala and I could use that as a Stopover using miles but now I can't find it. I could do the AA then Copa betw the 2 as above but seems like I'd have to use more miles that way. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon!

Search this Thread