Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

PTY O/N ~24 Hour Layover: Sightseeing & Transportation Q's

Old Nov 13, 15, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM

Arrive at 7:30pm in PTY, and leave at 6:40pm the next day. I managed to book at the Hotel Casco Antiguo in Casco Viejo.

1) What time should leave for the airport?

2) I'd want to visit Miraflores Locks in the morning, and then maybe walk around Casco Viejo for a little while. Anything else you'd recommend seeing? This will be my first (and maybe only) time in Panama City, so I don't mind if it's a bit rushed.

3) I'm a budget traveler and traveling solo, so I'm looking to not spend tons of money on private taxis if I don't have to. But I will have luggage, and don't want to take public buses and I want to be safe. Are there SAFE shared shuttles to get between the airport and hotel?

4) How much should I try to negotiate for a taxi between the airport and Casco Viejo, and between Casco Viejo and the Miraflores Locks?

5) Any good/cheap local eats in Casco Viejo for dinner (that will be open late) or lunch?

Thanks very much for your help!
Old Nov 16, 15, 7:06 pm

1. You didn't say if this was a week day or a weekend. We landed around 10:00 on a weekday and it took us about 35 minutes to get to Casco Viejo. We left Casco Viejo on Saturday at 5:00 a.m. and it took about 20 minutes to get to the airport.

2. You may also consider Ancon Hill. It has a beautiful 360 view from the top. While we were there we also took a side trip to Panama Viejo, which to me was just okay.

3. Can't help you there.

4. We used private transportation for the airport and it was $35 each way. I'm sure you can negotiate a better rate with a taxi. We did a city tour, which included transportation to Miraflores Locks and it was $50pp.

5. Well, it's not entirely a "local" eat but Casa Sucre coffee house is super good. Their lunchtime specials include a beer with any sandwich. It's about $10. We ate lunch there twice during our three day stay. We were also staying at their adjacent property.

I did see some other places where it looked like a number of locals were eating. I'm sure you could try one of those out. People seemed really friendly, especially if you are able to communicate in Spanish.
Old Nov 20, 15, 8:33 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I don't see how the public bus from PTY to city cannot be considered safe.
It's an excellent bus, cheap or totally free depending who will you ask for swiping the plastic card on board (it is essentially for residents, nbut they don't mind to help tourists).

The stop is only 5 min. walk from arrivals.
Don't bother with the expensive taxis outside the terminal.

Search this Thread