Reload this Page >

PTY - 9 hour overnight layover/return

Old Nov 7, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hello all,

Will be doing a Mileage Run LAX-MIA-PTY on 11/21/15. Arrival 9:30pm and then a turnaround flight the next day PTY-MIA-LAX with a 7am scheduled departure.

Have another one planned for 12/12/15

Any idea how long it takes to go through immigration upon arrival? Is it worth it to get a nearby hotel, or is it bearable to stay overnight at Panama City - Panama (PTY) airport?

How much time should I allow if I have a flight at 7am? Is the airport even open at 5am?

Thanks in advance to all!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA, Hilton, PC, MR, Hertz
Immigration is not bad at all. Off the plane and outside in 30' w/o checked bags.

There is a Crowne Plaza that has a shuttle and is 1/2 mile outside the airport.

Get to the airport 2 hours ahead. You will go thru security twice. The 2nd will be at your gate.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Immigration is potentially a lot slower for non-Panamanian citizens. I've found it decent but I have heard it can take an hour or more if there are multiple planes arriving. Crown plaza is really the only choice near the airport, and as stated above, be there early.

Originally Posted by Baidu
Immigration is not bad at all. Off the plane and outside in 30' w/o checked bags.

There is a Crowne Plaza that has a shuttle and is 1/2 mile outside the airport.

Get to the airport 2 hours ahead. You will go thru security twice. The 2nd will be at your gate.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Thanks for the advice guys. You were both spot on. Have another mileage run scheduled for PTY 12/13. Same itinerary. Will hopefully get on earlier flights via standby to see more of PTY. Is it safe to to go into the city travelling solo with only one day?
Old Jan 25, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Can I bump this and ask again? OP, did you stay at Crowne Plaza?

I'm having a hard time figuring out what is the correct information from a lot of sites. Hotels.com for example has hotels with shuttle, but they charge high prices. The crowne plaza says its only 0.3 miles away, so if worst case that would be walking distance.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:48 am

Programs: UA
There is definitely a new Crowne Plaza just outside the airport, the only hotel "at" the airport. One could walk there in maybe 10 minutes from the terminal.

There is a Riande Hotel a couple of miles away along the main drag to the airport.

Other hotels "downtown" probably charge a shuttle fee somewhat equal to the standard taxi fare, which is about $25.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA, Hilton, PC, MR, Hertz
CP has a free shuttle that runs every 30'. I stay there often.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.