FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   First time Guatemala - suggestions? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1721518-first-time-guatemala-suggestions.html)

gcashin Nov 2, 2015 8:34 pm

First time Guatemala - suggestions?

Visiting Guatemala for the first time. Planning to spend 4 days there in December - 2 days in Antigua, and 2 days in Guatemala City. Any suggestions or tips for things to do? I've seen some tours of coffee plantations, so that seems to be popular. Wouldn't mind something outdoorsy (hike or mountain bike tour). We were also thinking of hiring a driver/guide for a day. Any suggestions or ideas?

SJOGuy Nov 5, 2015 2:12 pm

Guatemala City is, quite frankly, not that interesting. What time do your flights arrive and depart? I might spend the whole time in Antigua and take one of those days to sign on with a tour to go to the market in Chichicastenango, about two hours from Antigua. Market days are Thursday and Sunday. The "tours" are really just your transportation to and from. You arrive in Chichi mid-morning and depart mid-afternoon. You're on your own to shop and sight-see in between.

gcashin Nov 6, 2015 9:13 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy (Post 25669002)
Guatemala City is, quite frankly, not that interesting. What time do your flights arrive and depart? I might spend the whole time in Antigua and take one of those days to sign on with a tour to go to the market in Chichicastenango, about two hours from Antigua. Market days are Thursday and Sunday. The "tours" are really just your transportation to and from. You arrive in Chichi mid-morning and depart mid-afternoon. You're on your own to shop and sight-see in between.

Thanks for the info. I'll check out that tour option. Flight arrives 12 Noon on Saturday and departs 1 PM on Wednesday. Tentative plan is to head straight to Antigua for Sat PM through Monday late afternoon, and then stay in Guatemala City for Monday evening through departure on Wednesday.

ssafro1 Nov 6, 2015 9:20 am

YES! I spent 5 days in Antigua last December and can't wait to go back. While I was there, I did several hiking excursions through the company OX, who I couldn't' recommend more highly. Had a blast and got some great pics while I was there.

I agree, nothing to do/see in Guatemala City. I did, however, stay there just 1 night before an early morning departure but was told even by the front desk I should not leave the hotel property at night.

SJOGuy Nov 6, 2015 10:24 am

Flight arrives 12 Noon on Saturday and departs 1 PM on Wednesday.
If it were me, then, I wouldn't head to Guatemala City until late Tuesday afternoon, or even catch a shuttle from Antigua to the airport very early Wednesday morning. You need to check in at the airport by about 10 a.m.

If you go to Chichicastenango, it would be the Sunday market day then. Your hotel in Antigua could arrange the tour, and they'd need to do it by late afternoon the day before. Ask when you arrive.

gcashin Nov 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1 (Post 25673069)
YES! I spent 5 days in Antigua last December and can't wait to go back. While I was there, I did several hiking excursions through the company OX, who I couldn't' recommend more highly. Had a blast and got some great pics while I was there.

Thanks for the info! I checked out their web site, and will probably book a bike tour with them.

Eddie98 Dec 25, 2015 2:49 pm

So what did you end up doing? I'm from GUA and was there during thanksgiving holidays.