Credit Card standards in Costa Rica?

Old Apr 23, 15, 10:54 am
Original Poster

What's more common in Costa Rica?

1) No Chip on card (typical in the US)
2) Chip + Pin (common in Europe)
3) Chip + Signature (no idea where this is the standard)

How about the rest of Central America?
Old Apr 24, 15, 9:16 am

cc = $$$

Originally Posted by skiflyer View Post
What's more common in Costa Rica?

1) No Chip on card (typical in the US)
2) Chip + Pin (common in Europe)

How about the rest of Central America?
The physical cards issued by local banks are same as usa = no chip as of yet
I cannot say anything about other local countries, sorry.
Talk is of doing the chip here and perhaps later this year they will.
Security is high importance with state banks.

Generally consumer cc debit has climbed 20% in a year following the past several trending an extreme rise.
Old Apr 25, 15, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I've had no problems using non-chipped cards in Costa Rica, Panama, and Nicaragua. I used both AmEx and Mastercard.

I did have to show ID when I charged a < $10 meal at McDonalds in the mall in Managua but otherwise I found credit card use in Central America to be the same as when I'm at home.
Old Apr 26, 15, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by skiflyer View Post
My cards are all chip + pin (AU banks), but I've never been asked for my pin when paying, always signature. It's no different to when I'm in the US.
Old Apr 28, 15, 12:31 pm

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
I was just in CR two weeks ago for 18 days. I used my credit card all over the place. While I do have a chip (it's a US issued card, so no PIN), I used it as a 100% swipe card everywhere I went
Old Apr 29, 15, 10:44 am

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Everywhere in Costa Rica I had no problems using my CSP credit card. All the restaurants and places we went accepted card.

Also went to El Salvador and had no problems using my credit card or debit card there when they had a terminal. Just note a lot of places only accept cash in El Salvador but it is the US dollar so no worries exchanging money.
Old May 21, 15, 11:17 pm

The standard is no chip I believe, as during my visit when using cards, they seemed to reflexively go for the swipe, as opposed to chip countries like Europe and Canada where they do a double take when they don't see a chip where there usually is one.
Old Nov 3, 15, 5:32 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
What's AMEX acceptance like down there? Heading to CR for the first time next week, I've got VISA/MC/Amex I'd just prefer to use the Amex that's all.
Old Nov 5, 15, 1:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
"Higher end" businesses accept AMEX, but Visa and MC are a lot more common.
Old Nov 5, 15, 3:59 pm

Thanks Guy, guess I'll take a few cards with me
Old Nov 19, 15, 4:22 pm

Amex was good to go at Mcdonalds and the like, but that's about it. Everyone else took visa, I only went to 1-2 places that were cash only.

In fact I was a bit surprised to see some (maybe all?) taxis take CCs there. Since in Colombia that's not even a concept!
Old Nov 20, 15, 6:43 am

I was recently in CR and it was a mixture of swipe/sign and insert chip/sign. Generally if a CC wasn't working it was due to the chip. All merchants had me sign regardless of amount. You also sign a lot of blank CC slips at hotels and car rentals. I primarily used D and MC. AMEX is advertised as accepted everywhere on city distance signs. D was the card most likely to not be accepted.
Old Nov 20, 15, 4:06 pm

In a few places I was asked to sign even after putting in a pin, only when I pointed out that the receipt read "firma electronica" did they figure it out.

Is D diner's club? To this day I've never seen one and when I went on their site was pretty sure I'd never have a high enough income to get one lol.
Old Nov 20, 15, 6:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I took his "D" to mean Discover. That one has been in Costa Rica only about five years. If Credomatic is the business's credit-card processor (and it is for most upscale businesses), then it can take Discover.
Old Nov 21, 15, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
I took his "D" to mean Discover. That one has been in Costa Rica only about five years. If Credomatic is the business's credit-card processor (and it is for most upscale businesses), then it can take Discover.
Yes D for discover of course discover/diner's run on the same network but I don't know if that would matter. I don't speak Spanish (muy poco) so it's hard to know specific reasons (like discover not accepted,or merchant sshould've inserted instead of swipe, etc...). I always take at least one of each type when traveling abroad: V, MC, Disc, Amex as well as two diff ATM cards. Also, I try to take from different issuers.

Search this Thread