Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Nicaragua - April 2-11 - how hot and dry?

Old Feb 2, 15, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

I've put an AA itinerary on hold, thanks to the Flight Deals threads, and I would land in MGA on April 2. I like the idea of being there for Easter (probably in Granada), but the main drawback I read is about it being really hot and dry at this time.

Is it still worthwhile to go then?
Old Feb 2, 15, 3:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Ah, this looks familiar. I'm the same guy who replied to you at the other non-FT board.
Old Feb 2, 15, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
Ah, this looks familiar. I'm the same guy who replied to you at the other non-FT board.
Thanks for your replies .
Old Feb 2, 15, 4:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Someone else may have a completely different take on this. For the benefit of anyone else reading, I said:

1) April is BEASTLY hot and dry.

2) Everyone is traveling over Holy Week (Semana Santa). Accommodation and transportation are at a premium, both in terms of space and price.

3) Very little will be open April 2-5.
It's doable, though.
Old Feb 4, 15, 1:09 pm

Programs: bits of shiny plastic w/ varied utility
Exclamation the horror ... the horror ...

With apologies to Joseph Conrad for the title of my reply, but SJOGuy nailed it. Beastly hot, particularly in Granada (my home for a couple of years) -- and inundated with people swimming at "the beach" in contaminated water. Ugh!

Also, no matter where you go in NicaLandia during Semana Santa, know that the "bombas" (fireworks) start at dawn (515a more or less).

There ARE places you can go to beat the heat -- Matagalpa and Jinotega in the north are good bets but again, as SJOGuy points out, lots of folks traveling and not really much tourism infrastructure in the north. Altho if you are looking for somewhere to disconnect for a few days and have some tranquility, google "Selva Negra" -- they *may* have limited availability.

Hate to dissuade anyone from visiting NicaLandia -- it has its own unique charms and challenges and is worthy of a visit -- but I wouldn't go during Semana Santa and I have family/friends/business there!
Old Feb 9, 15, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004 View Post
Hate to dissuade anyone from visiting NicaLandia -- it has its own unique charms and challenges and is worthy of a visit -- but I wouldn't go during Semana Santa and I have family/friends/business there!
Correct me if I am wrong here, but during this time there increased amount of police stops outside of Managua. More specifically driving south from Managua towards Granada. They are typically looking for bribe money. You can guess who they like to target.
Old Feb 10, 15, 2:22 pm

yes

Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Correct me if I am wrong here, but during this time there increased amount of police stops outside of Managua. More specifically driving south from Managua towards Granada. They are typically looking for bribe money. You can guess who they like to target.
True, usually one entering Masaya and one leaving Masaya. "Double-dipping" Nica-style!!
Old Feb 11, 15, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by 24.05.2004 View Post
True, usually one entering Masaya and one leaving Masaya. "Double-dipping" Nica-style!!
Even got pulled over once in the middle of Managua.. apparently the police needed money for gas after he ran out!
Old Feb 16, 15, 7:28 am

Programs: Still working on being loyal
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
Even got pulled over once in the middle of Managua.. apparently the police needed money for gas after he ran out!
I've been here two weeks for work, with three different rental trucks. First week and a half both trucks had the rental company stickers plastered on the front windshield, and back window. Pulled over 4 times between Managua and Rivas.

Last truck no stickers, not a problem. I'm starting to peel them off when I get rentals with stickers. They see you coming a mile away and then shake you down.

I've had instances where I ran out of cords, and the cop asked for my actual wallet.
Old Feb 17, 15, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by l3arefoot View Post
I've been here two weeks for work, with three different rental trucks. First week and a half both trucks had the rental company stickers plastered on the front windshield, and back window. Pulled over 4 times between Managua and Rivas.

Last truck no stickers, not a problem. I'm starting to peel them off when I get rentals with stickers. They see you coming a mile away and then shake you down.

I've had instances where I ran out of cords, and the cop asked for my actual wallet.
Yes, I've been pulled over as a passenger in an SUV on my way to Rivas. I can't remember why they pulled us over. I think it was for passing "improperly".

Speaking of the original topic... there are some towns that aren't nearly as hot as Managua like San Marcos.
Old Feb 26, 15, 5:45 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, SPG/Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
I've put an AA itinerary on hold, thanks to the Flight Deals threads, and I would land in MGA on April 2. I like the idea of being there for Easter (probably in Granada), but the main drawback I read is about it being really hot and dry at this time.

Is it still worthwhile to go then?
I an in Nicaragua 4-7 times a year. Easter two years ago my driver and I went to León for the Good Friday procession between the church in Subtiaba and the León cathedral, which if you are going for Easter is the one not to miss. Granada or other towns are amateur hour on Good Friday.

The sawdust carpets on the streets are something to see while light and the procession through the streets is once in a lifetime if you are not a Nicaragua regular.

It was still 45 C at 8 p.m. , no wind at all, and about 60% humidity so take lots of water. More than you could imagine taking. Though there is a lot available to buy. You won't need to go to the bathroom much despite drinking all that water, if you can imagine that. Leon is hotter than other areas but it is pretty darn hot most non hilly places in April. Selva Negra would e cooler, for example, just north of Matagalpa.

One note, frankly Granada is amateur hour as a destination all the time other than for the very old or very fearful. I know it is popular as it has that prettied up like an all inclusive / Disneyland sort of vibe but it is not really much of a representative place to see vs. real towns in the country..
Old Apr 8, 15, 10:37 am
Original Poster

I am here and it is great!

Referring back to my original question, I have seen cities, towns, volcanos, lakes, river, ocean, and lots of countryside. So far, I have never felt overheated at all, with no air-conditioning other than in a couple of transports (one from the airport and one day tour). A few more days left, and if I go to Leon I might feel too hot, but great so far.
I enjoyed joining a procession for a couple of stations.
Old Apr 8, 15, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
Referring back to my original question, I have seen cities, towns, volcanos, lakes, river, ocean, and lots of countryside. So far, I have never felt overheated at all, with no air-conditioning other than in a couple of transports (one from the airport and one day tour). A few more days left, and if I go to Leon I might feel too hot, but great so far.
I enjoyed joining a procession for a couple of stations.
Excellent -- glad you are enjoying NicaLandia.

If you make it to Leon, check out La Perla. Great boutique colonial hotel lovingly (maddeningly) restored by friends of mine.

buen viaje!
Old Apr 10, 15, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

I did go to Leon, and although it was 99F (37C) today and it is 82F(28C) at midnight, I still enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I did not get to La Perla! I did spend several hours in the beautiful art museum.

The only thing that surprised me is my visceral and intense dislike of Managua and the Mayoreo bus station. On, and the legroom in the converted school buses . About as bad as Air Canada Rouge.

Search this Thread