Best Lounge at SJO?

Old Jan 12, 15, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, 0.9MM
Best Lounge at SJO?

I'm going to be in SJO for a while because my friends flight leaves hours before mine.

I'm flying Business Class and also have Priority Pass.

From what I see there are three options-

1) Avianca Club
2) Copa Club
3) VIP Lounge

Does anyone know which one of these are best?

Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 15, 4:15 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
I would suggest visiting all. The Copa Club is downstairs with no views, but a little more comfy and maybe a little better service. Avianca is upstairs and has nice mountain and runway views. The VIP, I believe is the side club to the Avianca that requires and platinum Amex or similar, but allows for self pour on drinks and wine. This one is my favorite.

I believe they are all run by the same group, and the food available is very limited (cheese, veggies, minnie pastry) but they offer a pay menu to order from that I often see people doing.
Old Jan 13, 15, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA PP, CM Platinum
VIP or Avianca

The food choices are all the same pretty much so I would go with the VIP lounge upstairs since you'll have a nice view, options of sitting in a club chair or a table, as well as a self-service bar and expanded pay menu if you're extra hungry. The WiFi works well too.
Old Jun 16, 15, 7:25 am
BGT

Is anyone familiar with the guest policy for the VIP club with an AMEX Platinum?
Old Nov 3, 15, 5:31 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Anyone know which ones will be open when?

I've got Star Gold so I should be able to use the AV/CM lounges, but my flight leaves at the ungodly hour of 0618 so I may end up getting there a bit early out of fear of missing it. Since I'm flying AV I'd have to assume their lounge is open, but what happenes when we make assumptions?
Old Nov 3, 15, 6:26 pm

My flight with Copa out of SJO last June was at around the same time. The lounge was open. Don't expect anything amazing, though.
Old Nov 5, 15, 4:08 pm

I expect nothing amazing...just a place to go, use some credible wifi and not have to sit at the gate . I like having a table to use my laptop and goof around before flights.

Thanks for the tip though, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
Old Nov 19, 15, 4:21 pm

Soooooo...there's 1 lounge, as best as I can tell.

It's a "copa club" but really nothing suggests that other than the sign. It's for Copa, AV, AC and about 15 other airlines lol. There's a section for "mastercard black" but I got the feeling maybe that was a Latin America only card, it didn't look like anything I'd seen before.

It's a decent sized room that opened around 5 maybe earlier. They have breakfast for purchase, or some free snack type items. They gave me 1 drink ticket, which I guess is for booze, but it was 5am and that's early even for me. Not sure what the scoop is at night. That's pretty lame if they only give you one drink, since both other Copa Clubs I've been to have no limit. Wifi was fine, and there's a 2 computer business center. It's at the far end of the terminal though, which could be great or bad for you. As it turns out my flight was at the complete opposite end of the airport.
Old Jan 23, 16, 8:14 am

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
San Jose Lounge selection

Sounds like a pretty lame lineup for lounges. We head back to MIA in a few days. So what`ts the best place for a cool white wine or two without charge?
Old Jan 26, 16, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by iamfrugal View Post
Sounds like a pretty lame lineup for lounges. We head back to MIA in a few days. So what`ts the best place for a cool white wine or two without charge?
Buy some duty free and sit in the terminal? Honestly, the lounges at SJO are pretty poor. Last week the wifi was only working intermittently. I ended up going to Smashburger and sitting in the terminal and using the free airport wifi. Usually I'm on the early am AA flight to DFW so have no lounge access, but this time I was on the IB flight to MAD and had access. Keep your expectations low.
Old Jan 28, 16, 8:17 am

Programs: SPG,Marriott,Hilton,Delta,US airways,Hyatt,Fairmont,American A,Priority Cub,Discovery,etc
Yes, but are there 3 lounges as posted earlier this year or 1?
Old Jan 29, 16, 11:46 am

Thumbs down OMG.....Worst lounges EVER

We are sitting in SJO Santa maria Airport Lounge. Wow,once you get accustomed to USA/European even CDN airport lounges , these ones totally SUCK. Pardon the caps but , what a joke. We went to 2 out 3 ( the 3rd lounge you need a Black Mastercard to enter).The first one (VIP downstairs) had a totally unimpresssive spread of stale coffee ,juice and a strudel thing. We ordered 2 Fronterra wines at $5 each .They has to be the absolute smallest wine glasses that I have ever seen. The bar has a very large TIP bowl and that is about the only thing that stood out . Next we headed to the other one that requires a Plat Amex. Just as bad foodwise, wine was even more$$.The only thing that is good is the view.MIA Centurian : you are the bomb. Can't wait to get back there.
Old Jan 29, 16, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Are any of the lounges accessible when flying domestically within Costa Rica from SJO? I have a SJO-LIR flight next month.
Old Feb 2, 16, 10:02 am

Programs: UA GS
I'm currently in the Copa Club downstairs and have to say the Avianca club upstairs is a much nicer place to sit. I tried to get into the AMEX lounge upstairs using my Business Platinum card and they denied me :? I'm a bit bummed because it looks to have the best of both the Copa and Avianca clubs (nice chairs, excellent views, less crowded). Not sure why didn't allow access...
Old Feb 2, 16, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyinjer View Post
I'm currently in the Copa Club downstairs and have to say the Avianca club upstairs is a much nicer place to sit. I tried to get into the AMEX lounge upstairs using my Business Platinum card and they denied me :? I'm a bit bummed because it looks to have the best of both the Copa and Avianca clubs (nice chairs, excellent views, less crowded). Not sure why didn't allow access...
You could have asked!

Search this Thread