Reload this Page >

Best Lounge at SJO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Lounge at SJO?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Latest lounge review overseeds this one. Content deleted.
fedechat likes this.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Jul 15, 2019 at 2:28 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:28 am

I accessed the brand new BAC Credomatic VIP lounge with my US-issued personal AmEx Platinum card (actually I didn't have the physical card with me, but they let me in with the last 4 digits of the card and my name). That's one of my favorite lounges anywhere. It's gigantic, with lots of comfortable seating and sweeping views of the tarmac. Several different hot food options that were really good (I was there in the early afternoon and there were tamales, several types of pizza, and a curry rice dish), and plenty of drink options (draft beer and wine were free).
Old Apr 20, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: Some, not all.
Oh dear

Was just refused entry to the premium lounge with my Amex Platinum (UK issued), as only BAC cardholders are allowed entry to the premium lounge.

Main lounge is pretty dire, and was overcrowded with BA pax when we first arrived. Travelling IB biz and was given two drinks vouchers each, if we had used priority pass or amex, then no drinks vouchers would have been provided. Beers are $7, spirits are $6 to $12, and wines are $9. Snacks are $10 to $25.

Definitely not worth getting to the airport early.

Last edited by 21H21J; Apr 20, 2019 at 2:50 pm
Old May 9, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Was just refused entry to the premium lounge with my Amex Platinum (UK issued), as only BAC cardholders are allowed entry to the premium lounge.

Main lounge is pretty dire, and was overcrowded with BA pax when we first arrived. Travelling IB biz and was given two drinks vouchers each, if we had used priority pass or amex, then no drinks vouchers would have been provided. Beers are $7, spirits are $6 to $12, and wines are $9. Snacks are $10 to $25.

Definitely not worth getting to the airport early.
I agree, SJO has some of the most miserly lounges anywhere.
ACC2008 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:21 pm

Latest lounge post overseeds this entry. Content deleted.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Oct 4, 2019 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:27 pm

7/2019
I’m in the “VIP Santamaria” lounge.

Its upstairs with nice sunlight.

They said a U.S. Amex plat is fine, but must be personal and not business. I showed business and they said no. So then I gave them electronic priority pass.

Modern and airy but virtually no plugs
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:19 am

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Jan 19, 2021 at 3:04 pm
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Many thanks for the great, detailed review Ariel!
Old Dec 25, 2020, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Wow, the lounges have changed since early 2019 when I last visited. The Copa lounge used to have free wine; is it only Santamaria lounge with free wine now? I have a Priority Pass that I will use to enter since I am flying American. Hoping that PP members get free wine in the Santamaria lounge since the others seem so dire and meager in their offerings. Any notable changes in the food/drinks due to Covid?
Old Jan 19, 2021, 3:01 pm

SkyTeam777 and Hammerklavier like this.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Oct 23, 2022 at 8:09 pm Reason: Oudated info
Old Oct 23, 2022, 8:08 pm

Costa Rica VIP Lounge (MasterCard Lounge & Black Lounge / Copa Club)

Between gates 16 and 19, take elevator or stairs to second level

Official lounge information
- MasterCard (spanish): https://cam.mastercard.com/es-region...ck-lounge.html
- Copa Club (english) https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/copa-club

Amenities
* Food: free self service with simple snacks, bakery, cookies, two breakfast options, and four lunch options (see menu pictures below). Sushi and other dishes à la carte (see menu pictures below).
* Drinks: free self service with natural juices, iced tea, cold water, coffee. Complimentary and unlimited non-alcoholic (including sodas) beverages at the bar. Alcoholic drinks with charge. Business Class passengers receive one complimentary alcoholic drink coupon (includes wine):

* Regular WiFi
* Runways/tarmac/gates view
* Plenty of seating
* Local and international magazines
* Flight information and news screens

Access
Lounge Programs:
- PriorityPass / Lounge Club members, +1 companion. https://www.prioritypass.com/es/lounges/costa-rica/san-jose-international/sjo-vip-lounge-costa-rica
- LoungeKey
- United Club: a single pass includes all close family members

Airlines:
- Star Alliance [Air Canada, Avianca, Copa, Lufthansa, United] business class passengers (departing from SJO)
- Star Alliance Gold members, +1 companion

Credit/Debit Cards:
- MasterCard Platinum (central american banks-issued credit/debit cards only), +1 companion
- MasterCard Black (central american banks-issued credit/debit cards only), +2 companions

Banks and other credit/debit cards:
- Scotiabank Central America (fr.Citibank Central America/Scotiabank Transformándose/Aval/Banco Uno/Cuscatlán/Interfin):
--- Visa/MasterCard Classic debit or credit: 1 companion
--- Visa/MasterCard Gold credit: 2 companions
--- Visa/MasterCard Platinum credit: 4 companions
--- Visa Infinite/Signature credit: 5 companions
--- MasterCard Black credit: 5 companions
- Banco Promerica: Visa Platinum, MANGO MasterCard Gold (central american banks-issued credit cards only)
- Banco Davivienda (fr. HSBC Central America): MasterCard Black, + 3 companions; MasterCard/Visa Platinum, + 2 companions; MasterCard/Visa Gold, + 1 companion (central american banks-issued credit cards only).
- Banco Lafise: MastercardCard/Visa Classic, Gold, Platinum, Visa Signature credit cards, + 1 companion
- Banco Improsa: Visa Platinum credit cards, + 2 companions
- Banco BCT: MasterCard/Visa Classic, Gold, Platinum, + 2 companions.
- MasterCard Platinum/Black/World Elite cardholders with cards issued by banks outside Central America are welcome, but their cards will be registered on MasterCard's charging system, then the bank will have the discretion to actually charge the visitors or not. If charged, it will appear later on the credit card statement as a purchase.
- CAFSA: Visa Infinite/Platinum credit cards.

Others:
- Passengers with INS Medical (Instituto Nacional de Seguros Costa Rica) or INS Plus travel insurance get a complimentary pass to the lounge.
- Additional companions or walk-ins: USD 30
- Nailbar: Banco Davivienda Visa/MasterCard Gold, Platinum MasterCard Black, Visa Infinite credit or debit. Complimentary manicure.

There is an adjacent, more exclusive, adults-only lounge, called "The Black Lounge". That one is exclusively for MasterCard Black cardholders (central american banks-issued credit/debit cards), cardholder can bring 2 companions free of charge.
It offers the same food as the main lounge, the premium consists of self-serviced unlimited red/white wine and local beers, bottled sodas, plus two tickets valid for an alcoholic drink/cocktail or specialty coffee each:

Lounge Access Reference

Main Lounge

Free Menu (Costa Rica VIP Lounge and Santamaria VIP Lounge share the same free menu)

À la carte (post-pandemic)

Davivienda Nailbar

Black Lounge

RENOVATED! Santamaría VIP Lounge (American Express Elite)
[This used to be a shared American Express+Avianca (Star Alliance) lounge, but the contract finished on April 2019. It went through a major renovation, and it re-opened as the American Express Elite lounge on July 13th, 2019].

Gate 5, take elevator or stairs to second level

Amenities
* Food: free self service with simple snacks, yogurt, bakery, cookies, two breakfast options, and four lunch options (see menu pictures below). Sushi and other dishes à la carte (see menu pics below)
* Drinks: free self service with natural juices, iced tea, cold water, coffee. Complimentary and unlimited non-alcoholic beverages (including sodas), Heineken beer, red (Merlot)/white (Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc) wines at the bar. Other alcoholic drinks or cocktails with charge.
* Fast WiFi
* Third level, views to the ramp and runway
* International magazines
* Visitors are entitled to a 10-minute massage (see massage room pic below)

Access
Lounge Programs:
- Priority Pass / LoungeClub: https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...vip-santamaria

Airlines:
- Aeroméxico, Air France, KLM, British Airways, Iberia, Edelweiss, business class passengers.

Credit Cards:
- American Express Gold Business by BAC Credomatic (see picture below)
- American Express Platinum by BAC Credomatic (see picture below)
- American Express The Platinum Card® (any bank)
- American Expresss Centurion (any bank)

Others;
TAM Travel Corporation VIPs

Lounge Access Reference

(Photo by Douglas N, "Disney Tico Club")

Main Lounge

Free Menu (Costa Rica VIP Lounge and Santamaria VIP Lounge share the same free menu)

À la carte

Massage Room

NEW! BAC Credomatic VIP Lounge

Between gates 16 and 19, take elevators or stairs to second level

Official lounge information (spanish): https://www2.baccredomatic.com/es-cr...bac-credomatic
(This lounge opened on February 15th, 2019. It is not affiliated to any airline/alliance nor lounge program at this time, but they are working on it)

Access:
- It is currently available to premium BAC Credomatic Central America issued credit cards only (see access board below).
- American Express The Platinum Card® (any bank)
NOTE: American Express Platinum by BAC Credomatic, and American Express Centurion ARE NOT ALLOWED into this lounge, please proceed to the American Express Elite Lounge (gate A5)

Amenities:
* Food: free self service with simple snacks, yogurt, bakery and cookies
* Drinks: free self service from soda machine, natural juices, iced tea, cold water, coffee. Free beer and red or white wine at the bar. Other alcoholic drinks with charge (see picture below)
* Fast WiFi
* Third level, views to the ramp and runway
* International magazines
* Kids zone
* Media room with electric massage chairs, and a large screen with movies

Lounge Access Reference

Lounge

SJO Fast Track (Passport Control and Security VIP Lines)

Access
- Diplomatic Passports
- Any airline business class boarding pass WITH Fast Track stamp from check-in counter. The boarding pass should look like this:

- Any airline and any class boarding pass with MasterCard Black credit/debit card. Go to the 'MasterCard information kiosk' (located below Lavazza Coffee) and request a MasterCard FastTrack ticket. Valid only for cardholders, no companion allowed.
YadiMolina likes this.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Mar 22, 2024 at 8:29 am
Old Dec 19, 2022, 10:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
A quick update. Sadly, as of earlier in December 2022, the AMEX Lounge at Gate 5 no longer accepts international Platinum cards. Entry with Platinum is now restricted to Costa Rican cards. Access is still possible using Priority Pass.
Old Mar 22, 2023, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by golfmad
A quick update. Sadly, as of earlier in December 2022, the AMEX Lounge at Gate 5 no longer accepts international Platinum cards. Entry with Platinum is now restricted to Costa Rican cards. Access is still possible using Priority Pass.
They're really hurting the AMEX Platinum/Centurion brand with such stupid discriminations. If they don't like to assume the responsibility of carrying a world mark, then don't get into the business!
Old Apr 13, 2023, 11:06 am
CJN

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, United MileagePlus Platinum
What's the current situation with the Copa Club at SJO? Google says "Permanently Closed" but posts on here and info on lounge buddy seem to indicate it's still open? United Club member and *Gold trying to gauge options for upcoming trip (UA tix on UA metal). Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2023, 9:13 pm

Programs: MH Gold, AC Super Elite, UA Platinum, Accor All Gold, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CJN
What's the current situation with the Copa Club at SJO? Google says "Permanently Closed" but posts on here and info on lounge buddy seem to indicate it's still open? United Club member and *Gold trying to gauge options for upcoming trip (UA tix on UA metal). Thanks.
I was there today. It's open and business as usual. The lounge is very, very basic. but otherwise comfortable. As UA *Gold I got a stamp on my boarding pass which entitles you to drinks like coffee (yes, I'm not shitting you), beer, wine. After I showed this special stamp, I could order a coffee... When I was brought my coveted coffee, the lounge attendant said something like I would be entitled to one more drink only, if I understood her correctly. The English profiency is of course not at the same level as back home. Anyway, I had just that coffee and a soda (that was freely accessible), so not sure what were the limits here.. OK lounge for an hour or so, but longer than that probably becomes annoying. Views of the airport were great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.