Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Belize Intl (BZE) - left luggage or lockers?

Old Jan 2, 15, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Northwest, United

I'm looking for info on options to store a couple bags for a couple days at Belize International Airport (BZE) in January.

Me and the Mrs will be spending a week on one of the islands off the coast of Belize in mid-January. We're scuba divers, and we will be schlepping a fair bit of gear - one large duffel bag each (filled with scuba gear), plus one carry-on size bag each for non-dive gear.

After our week on the island, we will be dropped off back at the airport in Belize City. From there, we're going to take a very quick side trip to Tikal for a couple days of ruin-hopping, in nearby Guatemala. We will be flying from Belize City to Flores, Guatemala (the closest airstrip to Tikal that has commercial flights), and back a few days latter. The short hop to/from Flores is on Tropic Air, a small local airline which uses Cessnas. Space and baggage allowance will be fairly tight. Since things will be tight - and since we have no need for scuba gear in the tropical forest - we are going to need to leave our big dive duffel bags at the airport in Belize. Two days later we will return to Belize City, where we will reclaim our bags and catch our return flight home to the USA.

Does anyone know if there is a left-luggage service, or luggage lockers (which would be usable for 2 days), reliably available somewhere at the Belize City airport? If not - any other ideas on how/where to safely store two bags? The stuff in the bags is moderately expensive (basic but good quality dive gear, no high-end cameras or other tech goodies), so it needs to be reliable and secure. We will have a few hours to kill at the airport between connections (both coming and going) so in a pinch we could probably taxi to some off-airport location to drop/reclaim the bags if we had to - but I'd prefer to stay on the airport if possible and just relax with a cold drink rather than negotiating the streets of Belize City.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Jan 2, 15, 11:37 am

Programs: AA Plat; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
I've never noticed such service or lockers at BZE in many trips through it, but then I was never actually looking for it.

Since you're going to one of the islands -- I'm guessing Ambergris Caye -- you could make the trip to Flores while just leaving stuff at that hotel. That's the way I did it. Although in my case it was just a day trip; you'd probably want to negotiate not paying for the night in Belize when you're staying in Flores.

Enjoy Tikal -- it's impressive.
Old Jan 2, 15, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Actually, we're skipping the closer islands (been there, done that, 20 years ago before all the recent development), this time we're off to one of the more remote atolls (Turneffe Island). That's quite a ways offshore, and the resort's staff only comes to the mainland 2x a week. So having them store our things on the island for 2 days is not an option (4 days might work, since that would sync up with their mainland visits, but 2 days wouldn't).

I'm currently trying to find out if the resort has an office on the mainland where they might be able to look after our stuff for 2 days, but all of their off-island staff appears to be in Houston; so a facility at the airport would be more convenient if such a thing exists.
Old Jan 2, 15, 2:01 pm

Gotcha. San Pedro's been getting noticeably bigger and noisier just in the 12 years I've been going.

I did a little Googling, and the somewhat-dated suggestions I found were 1) the Embassy Hotel (embassyhotelbelize.com) "across the road", which says it's closed at the moment, and 2) Margie's Travel Service office in the airport. Couldn't find a website or email address for the latter, but the Belizean phone number is apparently 501-225-2016. Good luck.
Old Jan 2, 15, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I've been pinging the resort staff for their ideas. Will ask them about "Margie's" and any other ideas they have. This shouldn't be that much of a stretch, so I'm assuming there's a way, just gotta find it.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 4, 15, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA
Alternatively, you could get to BZE, rent a car, and drive to San Ignacio and see some awesome ruins near there. Tikal is big and impressive, to be sure, but it's also quite overrun with tourists. Xunantunich, Caracol, and a few others in Belize are great. Then once you're in San Ignacio, you can easily book a day trip to Tikal, it's very very doable.
Old Jan 4, 15, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I have, in fact, been there (to both Tikal and most of the big sites in Belize) before (although I was not hauling dive gear with me last time). My wife has not, so this time we're going to Tikal so she can experience it. IMHO it's one of the most amazing archeological sites in the Americas, and worth the effort in spite of some of the challenges that one encounters there/getting there. I can deal with the crowds. We also specifically want to be there - in the ruins - before sunrise and after sunset (both are possible, but only if you stay the night in the park), both to avoid the crowds and to have a better overall experience (IMHO, only a fool explores Mayan ruin sites in the heat & humidity of the mid-day...the crowds just make it worse; early & late and the times to be there, mid-day is time to relax in the shade or by the pool ). So a "day trip" is not going to work for us. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Back to my original question, I believe I've found a solution - for those who stumble across this thread in the future...

"All In One Travel Service" (http://www.allinonetravelbelize.com/) appears to be located across the street from the airport (easy walking distance), and they do luggage storage (among other things). Five bucks per bag per day. I can live with that. They appear reliable and easy to work with - I've been exchanging email with them. Will report back after we return in late January whether our bags made it unscathed.
Old Jan 5, 15, 9:24 pm

Interesting; that's a site I'll need to note for future trips, 'though its design seems to be rather broken. I'll be very interested to hear your results.
Old Jan 10, 15, 10:54 am
Original Poster

They seem legit, and appear to be helpful. Our needs are pretty simple. I will post back here on how it went after I get back in a couple weeks.

Off to Belikin-land in a few days...
Old Jan 28, 15, 12:23 am
Original Poster

Just a follow-up to report on my experience using "All In One Travel Service" at Belize International Airport. I used them to store luggage for a couple days while I did a side-trip to Guatemala, and didn't want to lug along extra bags.

In short, they were great.

I exchanged email with them several times before arrival, explaining my plans. Each time I received a prompt reply.

To my surprise, upon arrival as I exited the airport terminal, I was greeted by name by someone from the resort I was headed for (not entirely a surprise), and also by someone standing next to him from all-in-one travel (that was a surprise) - I guess all the locals are connected.

Their shop is a small storefront about 30 yards from the airport terminal, just across the parking lot, in a row of storefronts which were mostly car rental places. All-in-one is the second storefront from the left end (as you approach). Easy to find - exit the terminal, cross the road, cross the parking lot, look left. One minute from the airport terminal door.

I dropped two large duffel bags (filled with scuba diving gear) with them, and picked them up 2 days later. Cost was $5 per bag per day - priced in Belize dollars, so cut that in half for US dollars. I paid US$10 for 2 bags for 2 days.

If the shop is locked and unattended when you walk up (it was once when I showed up), don't worry - the nearby shopkeepers will see you and find the all-in-one folks for you (it's a small-town/close-knit group).

All in all, a very positive experience, it solved a problem for me, and I'd use them again in a heartbeat. I only used them for left luggage, so can't vouch for the other things they do, but they seemed honest, reliable and helpful. (FWIW, I have no connection to them other than being a satisfied customer.)

I hope this info is useful for someone else in the future.
Old Jan 28, 15, 10:23 am

Thank you so much for report! Filed for future reference.

Search this Thread