Costa Rica will include airport tax in ticket prices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica will include airport tax in ticket prices

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Beware that if you pay the departure tax with a credit card it may be considered a cash advance! I just left CR on the 8th and paid the exit tax with my Chase IHG card. The exit tax was charged as a cash advance and I was charged both a cash advance fee and interest by Chase. I called and got the fee waived and, luckily, had not used the card since so have now paid it off in full and won't use it for a whole cycle to ensure that no more interest is charged. I ended up having to pay ~$0.25 in interest.

Pissed me off
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Not just "may be considered." It will be considered a cash advance. It's been that way for years. There are signs at the counter that warn you of this.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SJOGuy
Not just "may be considered." It will be considered a cash advance. It's been that way for years. There are signs at the counter that warn you of this.
I was pulled out of line* by the people manning/guarding the line and brought right to the front (effectively cutting in front of about 100 people). There were no signs in front of the handicapped desk where I paid.

*As for the cutting, I did not ask for it, nor am I handicapped. I was travelling alone with my toddler and I think the guard took pity on me with the car seat on my back, the backpack on my chest, the two suitcases and stroller that I had. Not saying it was right that I got to cut, but I had no clue why he was pulling me out of line.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Ahh...that explains why one of my cards never works at SJO. It won't allow cash advances. Mystery solved! I should pay more attention but I'm always on an early morning flight out and half asleep.
Old May 26, 2015, 7:05 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott Plat LT, HH Gold, IHG Plat, WoH Discvst, Hertz PC
When did/will UA start including the departure tax in the ticket price?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

This notice now appears on the airport website:

COLLECTION OF EXIT TAXES

Modernization and automation of the process of collection of the exit tax by airlines.

Beginning in June 2015, the process of collection of exit taxes by the airlines begins. At this moment, several airlines are registering their affiliation with the new system. The next ones who can begin operations in July, August, September, and October are: ....

So, supposedly AA and US have already begun collecting the taxes with the fares. If that's true, it must be for tickets purchased on or after June 15.

The thing that troubles me here is that Taca and Taca Peru no longer exist. AeroPeru went belly-up in 1999. Costa Ricans won't admit that Lacsa, their onetime national airline, hasn't existed since 1999 either. And then one of the future carriers to go online with the new system is "Air Alaska." AS does begin flying to SJO in October.

Aaaayyyy, Dios mío.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Nov 13, 2015 at 9:28 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
Found a new twist today. If your ticket now includes the tax, you will need to fill out the standard Central American immigration form to get in the airlines check-in line. If your ticket does not include the tax, you will need to fill out the tax form plus the Central American standard immigration form before check-in. If you are traveling with minors, you will need to get the Central American standard immigration form stamped by the same people that stamp your tax form before making the line at the airline.

Here is hoping that the transition is done soon.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

During this transition, how do the people at the tax counter know if your ticket includes the tax? In the past, they've always just scanned your passport, taken your $29, and printed out your exit form.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:21 am

Ok, so I just purchased AA tickets out of LIR in October. It was about double what I paid to fly there. This is the breakdown:

COMMON AREA USER CHARGE $3.52 USD
COSTA RICA
INTL SECURITY FEE $2.65 USD
COSTA RICA
IMMIGRATION FEE $2.00 USD
SIERRA LEONE
US APHIS USER FEE $5.00 USD
UNITED STATES
US FEDERAL INSPECTION FEE $7.00 USD
UNITED STATES
US SECURITY FEE $5.60 USD
UNITED STATES
US CUSTOMS USER FEE $5.50 USD
UNITED STATES
OTHER TAXES $27.00 USD

I'm guessing the "other" taxes and immigration fee are what make up the $29 you're all talking about and we're good to go?

I'm also guessing the airport will know if you've paid based on what airline you're flying?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm also guessing the airport will know if you've paid based on what airline you're flying?
By October, I sure hope this is straightened out. But, no, during the transition, how will they know? If you purchased your ticket before your airline began including the tax in the fare, where does that fact come to light in the check-in process? The folks at the tax counter have always just collected your $29 and printed your tax form.

And what is this?

IMMIGRATION FEE $2.00 USD
SIERRA LEONE
Sierra Leone?
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:36 am

By October, I sure hope this is straightened out. But, no, during the transition, how will they know? If you purchased your ticket before your airline began including the tax in the fare, where does that fact come to light in the check-in process? The folks at the tax counter have always just collected your $29 and printed your tax form.

And what is this?

Sierra Leone?
Good point on the above. NO clue about why money is going to Africa when I'm traveling purely in the Americas!

I also found it a bit troubling that on my confirmation email, it says my taxes and carrier-imposed fees were $31.27 as well as my ticket total (I used miles). However, my CC was charged the full $58.27, so that included the $27, yet it's nowhere to be found on my e-ticket confirmation from American.

I guess I'll see what transpires in the next few months.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:30 am

Does anyone have any experience with this yet? We paid via AA and we're flying out of LIR on Sunday. Curious what to expect.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
If you purchased your ticket after about May 1, 2015 you should be good to go.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

If you purchased your ticket after about May 1, 2015 you should be good to go.
AA began including the tax in tickets purchased on or after June 15. See the illustration in my post #36 above. It was from the SJO website. LIR has no official website of its own. I'm guessing the same applies. It works well at SJO. At the AA line, they give you the immigration form to fill out in order to leave the country. The check-in agent will verify whether or not you've paid the tax.

United, Delta, JetBlue, Avianca, and Copa are now including the tax in ticket prices. Air Canada will begin doing so in December. Dates for Southwest and Spirit have not been determined.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 4:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Gold, MR Gold
I'm flying United from SJO-IAH tomorrow, and just looked at my email receipt to see what was already paid for. Here's the breakdown for me. Ticket was purchased Aug 08. Will update to let everyone know what happened. Hoping that the $27 + $2 means it's already paid.

U.S. Customs User Fee: 5.50
U.S. Immigration User Fee: 7.00
U.S. APHIS User Fee: 5.00
U.S. Transportation Tax: 35.40
September 11th Security Fee: 11.20
Costa Rica Baggage Inspection Fee: 2.00
International Boarding Tax: 27.00
Costa Rica Common Area User Charge: 6.29
Costa Rica Security Fee: 3.04
Costa Rica Tourism Arrival Tax: 15.00
U.S. Passenger Facility Charge: 13.50

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.