Reload this Page >

Taxi/shuttle services in Costa Rica

Old Oct 14, 14, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*S100K, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Plat

Hi all -

I'm looking for some advice on land transportation options in Costa Rica. I arrive at SJO around 10 PM in late December and need to get to a hotel in Quepos. I'll also need to make the return journey during the day a few days later.

Does anyone have a taxi or car service they recommend? Any advice?

Thanks!
bawm
Old Oct 14, 14, 4:11 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Is it necessary that you be in Quepos that night? With immigration, customs, and the road trip itself, it could well be 2 a.m. by the time you get there. Could you stay at a hotel near the airport and set out the next morning?
Old Oct 15, 14, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Wow, that's a really good point. I'll look into changing my hotel reservation. Perhaps renting a car is the wisest move.
Old Oct 15, 14, 8:13 am

Programs: AA Plat
I have stayed at the Adventure Inn in SJO. Good rates and free transportation.
Old Oct 15, 14, 8:43 am

I'm going over Thanksgiving for a week and have been researching transportation. I'm going from San Jose to Manuel Antonio which isn't that far from Quepos. I'm leaning toward the shared shuttle option as the price is reasonable and most reviews I've found look positive. They typically pick up drop off at hotels and there are a couple of scheduled runs each day, morning and afternoon. I think the price is roughly $50 per person. I looked into renting a car, but once I get to Manuel Antonio, I won't have any use for it. I also considered a flight, but the price is roughly 3x the cost of the shuttle (bigger deal since I'm going w/ wife and child).

I'm spending a night at the beginning and end in San Jose because I didn't want to cut the schedules too close. Plus I didn't want to walk off a plane and then promptly get on a 4 hour van ride. Any of the more experienced have a better option than shuttles?
Old Oct 15, 14, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

My hotel just quoted me $170 per direction! Yikes.

Shuttle does seem like the most economical, but if I'm going to try and get there at the crazy hour I arrive I guess I'm out of luck.
Old Oct 15, 14, 12:52 pm

That sounds about right for a taxi or private shuttle, at least from what I was seeing. Ie, up to 5 people for like $180 each way. Maybe stay in San Jose first night and fly out the next morning, they have flights to Quepos and the price was reasonable. ~$200 or so round trip and it's a short flight. I don't know the schedule though.
Old Oct 15, 14, 1:53 pm

The two major nationwide shared shuttle services are:

Grayline
www.graylinecostarica.com

and Interbus
www.interbusonline.com
(I see that Interbus is revamping its site at the moment.)

Neither would operate that time of night, but if you're willing to go the next day, I think it's a great option. You need to reserve at least a day in advance. Given that that's a major tourist week, I'd reserve farther in advance than that.
Old Oct 16, 14, 8:50 pm

Is one better than the other? I was going to book in interbusonline, but then their website went down for update. I've sent them an email but they haven't responded.
Old Dec 2, 14, 1:12 pm

We stayed at the Courtyard by the airport at SJO. There were several restaurants across the parking lot (but I don't think you'll be there in time to eat?).

I would strongly encourage you to look at the shuttle. We took a shuttle from Hyatt to La Fortuna (shared, but was turned out private) and were glad we did.

Driving isn't great there, especially in dark etc...Signs aren't great either.
Old Dec 2, 14, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks farbster. I appreciate the advice and warning.

Looks like I screwed up on my hotel booking and will just need to pay the high rate for a taxi. A good lesson!
Old Dec 2, 14, 2:31 pm

Just got back and ended up using Gray Line as the website was easier to navigate than Interbus. But I think either would be the exact same since the shuttles literally stop in all the same places. On the way from San Jose to Manuel Antonio, we were the only passengers all the way to Jaco Beach where we picked up 1 person. On the way back, it was a full bus, but still comfortable. They do pick up right on time and it's very convenient.

Now having been there, I'd say driving isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Outside of the city, there are minimal cars and the roads are in decent shape for the most part. The drivers are much more courteous than I had imagined outside the city and the speeds are relatively low. Most of the highway has a limit of 80kph. Next time I'd definitely consider renting a car.
Old Nov 3, 15, 5:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Don't wanna revive a dead topic but I wanted to see if anyone could shed some light here.

I'll be arriving from SAL at 2210 roughly next Tuesday night, I've checked the Grey line site and my hotel wasn't on there, it was on the interbus site. Said it was gonna be $15 which seems pretty reasonable to me, but at that time of night do I have any other better options? I won't have luggage, but I'll need to clear customs of course.

I speak nearly good Spanish, but I've never been to Costa Rica and don't EXACTLY know where the hotel is, I've got the address but as someone who's never been that doesn't help that much.

I found rental cars as low as $5 CAD, which is WITH taxes and fees, stupid cheap and I can drop it off downtown the next morning (10 mins from my hotel) with that price included. Is this a better idea? I've got a standard Canadian drivers license, I used to have the international driving permit, but I have no idea where it is, since I never used it. Not sure if my Canadian one is good enough or how bad/good the roads might be from SJO to downtown. Anyone have any insight there? Could be a fun adventure, but I also don't wanna get carjacked or anything

Last edited by drvannostren; Nov 3, 15 at 5:59 pm
Old Nov 3, 15, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
What's the cost of a taxi from SJO to city centre San Josť?
Old Nov 5, 15, 2:04 pm

I doubt any place rents cars for $5 CAD. Where did you see this? If they're advertising that price, something is not included, like an absurdly high mandatory insurance rate.

Which hotel is it?

A taxi from airport to downtown will run $30-35.

Search this Thread