FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   New fast-track security line for F and J at SJO (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1617316-new-fast-track-security-line-f-j-sjo.html)

SJOGuy Oct 2, 2014 6:14 am

New fast-track security line for F and J at SJO

Brand new! SJO now has a designated security line for first and biz passengers. You totally bypass the first snaking line for passport inspection and the next snaking line to get to security itself. Your airline has to stamp your boarding pass at check-in with a red FAST TRACK stamp for you to use this line.

I asked at the AA counter when I checked in the morning. Access is based on cabin flown, not elite status with your airline.

One catch is that if you are traveling with anyone under 18, you must use the passport line designated for accompanied minors, after which you are dumped into the regular security line with everybody else.

TacaCopaFlyer Oct 2, 2014 12:24 pm

This is great news if it sticks. They tried a few years ago, and with so many self-identified VIP's, and other always late passengers, that is was abandoned after a short while.

I'll be heading out Monday in UA first and will follow-up with a data point.

SJOGuy Oct 2, 2014 2:34 pm

Oh, I didn't know they had attempted this in the past. There's the space to do it properly now. I hope it sticks too. I zipped right through this morning and thought, I've got to post this to FT! Let me know what you think after you try it. :)

SJOFlyer Oct 3, 2014 8:28 am

This is great news! I will fly out on Sunday and can follow up as well...

SJOGuy Oct 3, 2014 5:08 pm

Be sure to have your airline stamp your boarding pass when you check in. As I understand, that's the only way you get to use the line.

The entrance is the farthest right one as you're entering the security area.

SJOFlyer Oct 6, 2014 7:51 pm

Just like SJOGuy says it is the entrance is located farthest right.

I forgot to ask at the Delta counter if it is only for Business passengers or for elites as well.. I think this is a very good thing to have because for the flights departing from 6-7 am...

TacaCopaFlyer Oct 7, 2014 7:24 am

Went through at 6 am yesterday, and the UA counter agent stamped all three of our boarding passes to use the line (Only 2/3 with upgrades). As we were traveling with our minor daughter, we had to use the immigration line dedicated for that purpose. After we were allowed to use the fast track line, although there were not many people in the regular lines anyhow.

It looks like it will be a big time saver for business travel at peak periods when the snake sometimes takes up to 30 minutes.

SJOGuy Oct 7, 2014 10:01 am

I'm glad to hear it went well. There's that early-morning wave of flights out and if you're on one of them, the lines can be agonizing.

TacaCopaFlyer Oct 11, 2014 7:00 am

This week should be a good test if past trends hold true. With US daylight savings time change, the US bound flights will change departure time and overlap with many inter central american flights. This historically has caught the airport staffing by surprise (twice a year) with lines snaking out to the parking area. I should be heading out on Wednesday and see how it goes.

SJOFlyer Oct 13, 2014 7:03 am

US Daylight time changes does not come in effect until November 2nd, Europe changes one week before. And yes, when the time changes lines just get ridiculously long.

Today I flew out with Copa and they are giving the red stamp to Premier Gold and higher even if they fly on Y. This was what they told me after I asked about it.

potcake Feb 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Flying out of SJO next month-- does anyone know whether the fast track security lane for F/J is still up and running?

TacaCopaFlyer Feb 18, 2016 7:55 pm

It was working fine when I flew out on the 13th of this month. But almost half of the times I fly, there are no lines in the general line and the elite line is not needed.

SJOGuy Feb 18, 2016 11:08 pm

Still there, still working. :)

potcake Feb 19, 2016 8:02 am

Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks for the replies.

SJOGuy Feb 19, 2016 8:58 am

As TacaCopaFlyer says, sometimes the fast-track line doesn’t save any time. There are four screening stations. The elite line gets sent to the one on the far right; the general line gets sent to any open station of the four. Crew members also use the elite line. Gauge things when you get there. If the elite line has a line, and if there’s not much of a general line, the general one might actually go faster.

But I've also flown on days when the general security line goes out the door onto the sidewalk. :(