Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

New fast-track security line for F and J at SJO

New fast-track security line for F and J at SJO

Old Sep 2, 19, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Your luggage still won't be out even if you are 59th in line anyway.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. Immigration does a much better job than it used to of keeping the line moving, but, still, if you're caught in the arrival of two or three big flights at the same time, you might be standing there a bit. If your bags are circling on the carousel by the time you get to baggage claim, you won't have to wait there. Then you'll go through customs, where they x-ray all bags coming in.

Do take a minute right after you get through customs and before you go outside to collect yourself and make sure that your passport and money are securely put away, and that your jacket is on if you're wearing one. Once you get outside into the mass of people who are waiting, that is not the time to be doing that. Not everybody who stands outside is legitimately waiting for an arriving passenger they know, and there have been cases of unaware passengers having a bag snatched. You don't need to be afraid, but you want to be ready to purposefully walk to get your transportation: taxi, Uber, or hotel shuttle.
Old Jan 13, 20, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Ari View Post
Does this still work?
this was answered affirmatively in Aug 2019. Still true?

im flying alaska air first class and staying nearby. Flight is at 11:05.

i have the choice of arriving at 9:15 or 8:15. Is 1 hour 50 minutes cutting it close? We will have checked luggage
Old Jan 14, 20, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Does Alaska have a priority line at check-in? I take it it does, but I don’t fly them, so I don’t know for sure.

The priority security line still exists. Here’s what happens sometimes, though: That line is funneled to one checkpoint. You get to the front of the priority line and you don’t get to any open x-ray machine. (All cabin crew use that line too.) I’ve found sometimes it’s quicker to go through the regular line. Just do a quick scan and make sure it’s to your advantage to use the priority line.

Here’s the other thing: I’ve flown in and out of SJO for 30 years now. Even with priority check-in and security, it can be a slow airport to navigate. You never know. SJO is really too small to handle all the traffic it gets. Supposedly, the first phase of a larger airport will open in 2027, with plenty of space to grow. The site will be 25 miles farther west from the present airport, or 36 miles outside the city. We'll see.
Old Jan 16, 20, 9:13 am

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Meliá Gold, Radisson Gold. National Exec Elite, Hertz PC.
I agree, the FastTrack line only works for passport control, then you have to go thru the regular security check. It's useless during non-rush/peak hours.

The new airport project was recently discarded by the government: https://observador.cr/noticia/gobier...hasta-el-2040/
Old Jan 17, 20, 6:36 am
Original Poster

Thank you, ariel. So 2040, huh?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: