Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Where to stay in Arenal, Costa Rica?

Old Aug 15, 14, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Any suggestions for a hotel in Arenal? We don't want to spend $300/night for a hotel, but would also like to stay in a somewhat nice place in a location that has easy access to the area's adventure activities and hot springs.

Thanks for the help!
Old Aug 15, 14, 3:45 pm

Hi,

We stayed at the Arenal Paraiso last month. It was perfectly fine. The rooms are all private cabins and our AC worked well. I believe we payed around $100 per night (July is low season so I assume it's more in the high season). It has its own hot springs and it even has its own zip line tour.

Drinks at the swim up bar were $7 for cocktails and $4 for beer. The restaurant was quite good as well, however, it was a bit expensive. Unless you have a car plan on having at least a few meals there.

There were several other hot springs resorts nearby. A friend of mine is at the Springs right now and she loves it. Los Lagos was also close by. I had been to Tabacon several years ago and thought it was a bit touristy and overpriced.

One other thing, unless you're going in the dry season there's a very good chance you won't actually see the volcano. We only saw the base in the 3 days we were there, but we knew it was a possibility so we weren't that disappointed.

Hope this helps. We really enjoyed Costa Rica.

Tim
Old Aug 16, 14, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by ftbllnumber34 View Post
Hi,
Any suggestions for a hotel in Arenal? We don't want to spend $300/night for a hotel, but would also like to stay in a somewhat nice place in a location that has easy access to the area's adventure activities and hot springs.

Thanks for the help!
We really enjoyed The Volcano Lodge, just outside La Fortuna on the road to the volcano. (There are many similarly named places as you might guess.)
They treated us very well and the grounds, restaurant & pool were very nice.
It's in your price range, I believe.
It's nicer if you have a car there since it is outside of La Fortuna a little bit.
We went to the nearby Baldi hot springs and had a really great time. They were a lot cheaper than Tabascon (and you could find discounts for Baldi, also.) Tabascon seemed way overpriced so we didn't go there.
Old Aug 21, 14, 8:33 am

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
We stayed at the Lost Iguana Resort and really liked it. We had a good view of the volcano from our room the first night (no glowing red lava or anything, but an excellent view of the cone); after that it clouded over and we never saw it again. I believe at that time, the wifi worked only from the common areas, but this may have changed. The grounds were nicely landscaped and good for spotting birds and other animals when walking on the paths between the buildings.
Old Aug 21, 14, 3:43 pm

We enjoyed Hotel Los Lagos many years ago and it had reasonable prices. Rooms were basic, but clean. Best part they had a mini zoo on site with frogs, butterflies, crocodiles, etc.
Old Feb 4, 16, 12:39 pm

We are flying into Liberia. How long will it take us to drive there and do you recommend driving there in a rental car?
Old Feb 7, 16, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
CR travel map and driving distances

Originally Posted by ducescoop View Post
We are flying into Liberia. How long will it take us to drive there and do you recommend driving there in a rental car?
I used this website as a handy tool when I went to CR a few years ago:

http://www.yourtravelmap.com/costarica/travelmap/
Old Feb 9, 16, 7:24 am

Thank you for the link. It is excellent information about many aspects of Costa Rica!
Old Feb 16, 16, 8:52 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
Driving made things a lot easier to get around.

When we went we stayed at "Lavas De Arenal". It was ok hotel, but only like $40 a night so I can't be too upset. Not located near anything, but room had fridge and good AC. There were also lots and lots of frogs!
Old Nov 22, 16, 6:03 am

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, PL_Marriott, GHertz
I didn't do my normal search due to the pressure of time for a stay Nov 29-Dec 1.

I repaid $70 (a night) for Hotel la Fortuna with a view of the volcano. This was through the agency known as Anywhere. I saw the hotel first on this page: http://www.arenal.net/arenal_volcano_national_park.htm

I don't know if Anywhere allows one to move to another hotel so if not I hope this hotel will suffice. The reviews on TripAdvisor are mostly positive. I just regret not doing more research but the price point and location are a good fit.

Does anyone know if you need to prebook activities like the Toro SkyTrek and Arenal white-water rafting?
Old Nov 22, 16, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by ducescoop View Post
Good sealed roads and the signage is adequate though we relied on the GPS more than the signage. Takes about 4 hours and there are a few places to stop for a snack. Our rental car was excellent and the service from the company was good.
Old Nov 28, 16, 7:13 am
Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I did some extensive research and decided we are staying here for an upcoming trip:

http://www.lomasdelvolcan.com/
Old Apr 6, 18, 12:56 pm
Suspended

You can have a look at Los Lagos,
Old Apr 9, 18, 6:43 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton Gold, Meliá Gold, Radisson Gold. National Exec Elite, Hertz PC.
I have stayed at Los Lagos and San Bosco Inn...

Los Lagos (not recommended):
Pros: has an spectacular view of the volcano, and nice hot springs.
Cons: is a bit dated, the breakfast is subpar, expensive.

San Bosco Inn (recommended) Hotel San Bosco Inn Home:
Pros: price (bargain for what you get, from $40/night, double room), location (in downtown La Fortuna, close to all services), includes very good breakfast.
Cons: there are no hot springs in the hotel, BUT the room INCLUDES entrance to their lodge (Volcano Lodge Arenal Costa Rica La Fortuna Arenal Hot Springs, Costa Rica Hotels) which is about 2 miles away, you must drive or take a cab to get there (not sure if they offer shuttle), and there are hot springs, restaurant, etc.

Search this Thread