FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Central America (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america-479/)
-   -   Costa Rica with daughter trip help! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/central-america/1603218-costa-rica-daughter-trip-help.html)

Darian Sep 22, 2014 9:49 pm

The insurance on rental cars is mandatory, and is generally not quoted in prices you get here in the US. It's a mandatory 12 to 30 US per day. No credit card coverage applies. This was instituted years ago as many credit card companies were not paying claims to rental companies in CR, so they decided to make you buy it there. The rates are fixed based on type and size of car, and are the same from company to company for the same vehicle. I've been to Andaz, it's quite nice but there is nowhere to go without a car or hiring expensive cabs or transfers. Cars ain't cheap in CR, but they are the best way of getting around for sure.

Jaimito Cartero Sep 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by farbster (Post 23565387)
I have booked my airfare. We're flying BWI-LIR and returning SJO-BWI.

I reserved 2 nights in beginning at Andaz and last night at Courtyard by SJO. Gotta figure out how many nights for Arenal, in case my daughter wants to do more than 2 nights at Andaz.

Arenal is a 1-2 night destination.

Are you renting a car? I haven't heard of anyone dropping a car at a different airport, but I'm sure if you pay enough it might be possible.

lhgreengrd1 Sep 23, 2014 1:01 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 23567297)
Arenal is a 1-2 night destination.

Are you renting a car? I haven't heard of anyone dropping a car at a different airport, but I'm sure if you pay enough it might be possible.

The last time I was in Costa Rica, the various major car hire agencies tended to want something on the order of a $120 to $180 USD adder to pick up in Liberia and drop off at SJO. I decided not to do it, and purchased a bus ticket for about $50 per person from Tamarindo to SJO, and about $15 from Liberia to Tamarindo. As it was a mileage award ticket on Continental at the time, I was able to get an open jaw from the U.S. via Houston into Liberia, and returning through Houston out of San Jose. I rented a car for a couple of days from Hertz in Tamarindo, and paid about $88 for 2 days for a manual subcompact all in - and they accepted my Diners' Club for the insurance waiver (but they put a $5000 hold on the card). I was told by other folks that this was semi-unheard-of at the time. It was maybe 3 years ago.

farbster Sep 23, 2014 7:05 am

I think they will take a letter from your credit card that says you're covered in lieu of getting the insurance there. The Chase Sapphire Preferred just improved their insurance on rental cars, but I need to get more details before I proceed.

I was able to price out cars on both Expedia and Travelocity that allowed me to pick up in LIR and drop off in SJO. One shuttle company was going to charge $50 for the transfer from LIR to Andaz and I think I could rent a SUV for about $150. I'm sure the $150 does not include the insurance.

I think we'll probably rent the car and enjoy the freedom. It might even pay for itself in being able to eat off property :)

Thanks!

Jaimito Cartero Sep 23, 2014 10:06 am

Originally Posted by farbster (Post 23568296)
I think they will take a letter from your credit card that says you're covered in lieu of getting the insurance there. The Chase Sapphire Preferred just improved their insurance on rental cars, but I need to get more details before I proceed.

I was able to price out cars on both Expedia and Travelocity that allowed me to pick up in LIR and drop off in SJO. One shuttle company was going to charge $50 for the transfer from LIR to Andaz and I think I could rent a SUV for about $150. I'm sure the $150 does not include the insurance.

I think we'll probably rent the car and enjoy the freedom. It might even pay for itself in being able to eat off property :)

Thanks!

If a place promises to take your credit card insurance, get it in writing before you go. And make sure it covers all the different types of insurance.

Go over the car with a fine tooth comb, and take pictures. Outside of San Jose, it's fairly easy driving. There are speed traps, huge potholes on rural roads, and unmarked speed bumps.

farbster Sep 23, 2014 11:15 am

I think I would also try to make the longer drives during the daylight. I'm not that keen on driving from Andaz to Arenal area during the dark...

Darian Sep 23, 2014 9:33 pm

They will not accept it. Costa Rican law states that if you rent a car in Costa Rica, you must buy insurance in Costa Rica, full stop. No, zero, none, nada on credit card coverage. I've been renting cars there for 26 years, and it's been this way for a long time. Don't mean to sound harsh, but thems the rules. :)

Originally Posted by farbster (Post 23568296)

Thanks!

lhgreengrd1 Sep 23, 2014 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Darian (Post 23572307)
They will not accept it. Costa Rican law states that if you rent a car in Costa Rica, you must buy insurance in Costa Rica, full stop. No, zero, none, nada on credit card coverage. I've been renting cars there for 26 years, and it's been this way for a long time. Don't mean to sound harsh, but thems the rules. :)

There's multiple types of insurance: There is liability insurance, which you MUST buy in CR, and there is insurance on the value of the car and property damage, which you might be able to get covered via your Credit Card (and which I did, with my Diners Club on my Hertz rental in Tamarindo a few years back).

farbster Sep 24, 2014 9:47 am

Thanks Darian and lhgreengrd1,

I'm going to double check rates and make sure they are including the mandatory coverage and confirm what the credit card will cover.

Hope getting a car is worth it...

Originally Posted by Darian (Post 23572307)

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 (Post 23572403)
There's multiple types of insurance: There is liability insurance, which you MUST buy in CR, and there is insurance on the value of the car and property damage, which you might be able to get covered via your Credit Card (and which I did, with my Diners Club on my Hertz rental in Tamarindo a few years back).

Darian Sep 24, 2014 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by lhgreengrd1 (Post 23572403)

Yes, thanks for clarifying, it's the liability portion that is mandatory to purchase there.

Steph58 Sep 29, 2014 8:48 am

Typing this from Costa Rica

We are in Arenal right now (The Springs) on day 6 of an 8 day vacation. Started at the Marriott Los Suenos (actually stayed at the SJO Courtyard the first night). I, too, researched and debated on the car rental vs. driver option beyond what would probably be considered normal. In the end we've gone with a driver, except one day we rented a Yaris from National at the Marriott. $80/day which I know is an insane amount, full coverage even though I had a letter from my cc company, no hold on the credit card. This was to get ourselves to Manuel Antonio. That drive wasn't bad but you have to be on your guard all the time.

We live in California and have certainly driven mountain roads, Hwy 1 Big Sur etc. It isn't the same here. The one time when the weather was bad earlier in the day happened to be the day the driver took us from Los Suenos to Arenal. I know you'll be coming from a different direction, so maybe that route isn't as bad. But 3.5 hours of winding mountain roads, lack of signs, pouring rain, fog/cloud cover, lightening--boy were we glad someone else was driving.

My original thought was rent a car in La Fortuna to get ourselves back to SJO. Nope, we're going with the driver. The car rental one way fee, high rates, driving challenges . . . don't want to be that stressed on vacation.

One thing everyone tells you (including professional drivers), do not drive at night. Also, they guy who took us on the mangrove boat tour cautioned to be very careful driving back in the rain in the Yaris--if you hit a pot hole the car can hydroplane. I would never get a subcompact. Each time we venture out we see accidents. The Costa Ricans have no qualms about letting their kids sit on the side of the roads/hwys while cars speed by. There are speed bumps, pot holes, passing on solid lines ("major" roads are 2 lanes), policia, motorcycles, bicyclists, and towns every so many miles.

Sorry maybe I have done too much research and have too much fear; but what I read before coming here was not an exaggeration. The weather has been much less rainy than I anticipated. It starts about 3 p.m.--yesterday none, one day after dark--so weather is just fine. Very uncrowded. The Springs is gorgeous, I think the most beautiful place I've ever been (only staying here because the rate was 55% off). You are captive, however, because the 2 mile road in is unpaved rocks (way bigger than gravel).

Ah, I hear the toucan in the tree outside our room--off to try & get a picture of him.

farbster Sep 29, 2014 9:13 am

I think I'll just get the transfers and skip the rental car. Its seems the more prudent thing to do, especially with the possibility of rain and flooded roads.

I'll be able to sit back and relax and that's worth something. Of course, relax is a relative term when it comes to drivers...

Finally, if we have to pay a bit for a cab to go into town or to another hotel to eat, so be it...

Steph58 Sep 30, 2014 6:21 pm

Farbster, I think once you head back with the driver you will be very glad that's the choice you made! They are safe drivers. I forgot to mention another plus is that they also tell you as much as you'd like to hear about the country and various places you pass. So we are really enjoying learning and hearing stories.

It was absolutely pouring like a shower on full blast yesterday, thunder and lightning, on our drive through the mountains from Arenal to get us back down closer to the airport. The downpour started about 2:00-3:00 today as well. I've decided it's been worth every penny to let someone else do the driving.

There are 3-4 restaurants across the parking lot from the Courtyard with okay food. The portions are huge everywhere, so easy for two to share if you can agree on the same thing.

I hope you have a wonderful trip with your daughter--I travel with mine frequently as well--special memories that last forever.

Cheetah_SA Oct 7, 2014 3:07 am

Steph58, how did you source you driver(s)? Have you any recommendations for specific drivers or operators?

farbster Oct 7, 2014 12:04 pm

I found a list on TA for companies that were registered with the Costa Rica travel/tourism board and picked one. To be honest, I didn't check around much. I picked one that was based in Costa Rica and had a decent website. One I looked at wasn't interested in me, as I wasn't planning a luxury trip (their specialty was luxury).

I did rely on that TA list and didn't check on a government website or anything.

As to private drivers, I just googled I think. Ending up using all transfers from tour agency.

Originally Posted by Cheetah_SA (Post 23638092)
Steph58, how did you source you driver(s)? Have you any recommendations for specific drivers or operators?