Spanish Immersion

Old Jun 25, 14, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Spanish Immersion

I am looking for recommendations for a good Spanish Immersion school in central America. I'm leaning toward Costa Rica.

In these places, are there any nice cheap hotels???
Old Jun 25, 14, 4:34 pm

Programs: CO Gold
how old are you?

and how long are you intending to stay in wherever you decide?
Old Jun 26, 14, 3:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond
Early 30s. I want to stay 2 weeks at the least.
Old Jun 26, 14, 8:55 am

Programs: CO Gold
ok so for that age/lenght, probably a bed and breakfast would work, we have plenty

a hostel is probably lots of noise, little privacy for you (or me, same age bracket)

a full 'hotel' probably goes for 100 a night, I am guessing a bb would go for 40-50 , you of course want to live near your school etc

I suggest Heredia, its not as busy as san jose but its still a decent city with bars/restaurants etc
Old Jun 27, 14, 8:15 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
A friend of mine did it in Nicaragua, Granada IIRC.

MUCH cheaper than Costa Rica.

And Granada is much nicer than San Jose or Heredia IMHO.

But two weeks seems a little short, though I must admit that I personally don't even have that much time to spend right now
Old Jul 21, 14, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I know you said Central America but there used to be a great one in Bolivia called Instituto Maryknoll- that's where I learned my Spanish.

For what it's worth, two weeks is short, especially without a homestay. If you're serious about trying to learn the language, consider a longer trip AND most certainly consider doing a homestay with a family.

I did a homestay, 1-1 courses 4 hours a day, and after about 3 months felt incredibly confident to carry on any sort of conversation in Spanish.
Old Jul 21, 14, 8:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by PatoLoco View Post
I know you said Central America but there used to be a great one in Bolivia called Instituto Maryknoll.
That is going to be a much longer flight, probably with more conecitons, and perhaps more importantly, almost twice the price.
Old Jul 22, 14, 11:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The more time you can do this, the better, but if two weeks is what you have, it is what it is. Two weeks can give you a very basic grounding in the language IF (and this is the key) you devote yourself 100% to learning. That means you don't speak English with your classmates outside of class and you don't hang around with other English speakers. You study Spanish in a Spanish-speaking country so that you can immerse yourself in the language. You have to do that if you expect to make progress.

Nicaragua has some good Spanish schools. The problem there is that when you step outside the classroom, you'll hear a fast-clipped accent that can be difficult for a beginner to understand. That's not so much an issue in Costa Rica. Obviously, Costa Ricans speak Spanish with an accent too, but it's slower and not as pronounced. For a "flatter" accent that is held up in Central America as having "easier" Spanish for beginners to understand, consider Guatemala.
Old Nov 12, 14, 4:20 am

Did you consider Copan Ruinas in Honduras? There is Ixbalanque http://ixbalanque.com/ or Guacamaya http://guacamaya.com/ - both are good quality, with excellent teachers and a friendly atmosphere. You also can take part in activities with other students. For both, you can stay with a local family which keeps the price down. Or, there are several good options for hotels in the little town. The price of a room is cheap. Copan is a tranquil place and there are some ancient ruins on the edge of the town which are amazing.

Search this Thread