Costa Rica trip

Old May 29, 14, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Costa Rica trip

I'm trying to plan a trip in August 2014 from Kansas City MO (MCI) to Costa Rica and then to Honolulu. I am very new to points and rewards, but have accumulated quite a few Alaska Airlines, SW, Delta, Ultimate Rewards, Membership Rewards, SPG, Thank You & Barclays Arrival points. Does anyone know how I can depart from MCI, get to Costa Rica w/an open jaw (?) to Honolulu? I can go from MCI to LAX, SFO, Seattle, Miami, Phoenix, etc for free if necessary using SW points. Then plan the rest of the trip from those major cities.
Old May 30, 14, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Where is your starting point?

That I know of, most of those won't get you any flights to and from Costa Rica, unless they can be somehow converted to airline miles. Can they? I don't know enough about those programs to tell you that.

Delta flies to Costa Rica via Atlanta, Los Angeles, and New York (JFK).
Old May 30, 14, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your input! Membership Rewards (through Am Ex), Ultimate Rewards (through Chase) and SPG can all be converted to various different airline partners. Alaska also has airline partners. I don't know which airline is the best for both Costa Rica and Honolulu.
Old May 30, 14, 9:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
American, US Airways, Delta, United, JetBlue, Spirit, and Frontier all fly to Costa Rica from their various hubs. The last two are probably not options for converting points from these programs you mention. Aeromexico (connect in Mexico City), Copa (connect in Panama City [Panama]), and Avianca (connect in San Salvador) also fly here to CR, they have alliances with various U.S. airlines.

People have their favorites. I always fly American because that's the frequent-flyer program I'm invested with. I think a lot will depend on availability. August is only a couple of months away.
Old May 31, 14, 2:33 pm

After you've been to CR, Honolulu will seem like just another city. The beaches and just about everything else related to traveling are better in CR. Perhaps the Big Island instead of Oahu?

Search this Thread