Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Same Day MR to/from Liberia - Do I have to clear customs?

Old May 22, 14, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT

Hi all,

I am doing a same day MR on AA to Liberia. I am arriving from MIA and connecting to DFW. Do I have to clear customs and pay the departure tax, or can I just stay airside?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 22, 14, 9:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
You definitely don't have to pay the departure tax if you're in Costa Rica less than 12 hours. That much I can answer for sure.

I doubt you can stay airside. I think you will be sent directly to immigration. I think ...

What's the turnaround time?
Old May 23, 14, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hertz 5*, National Executive, Hyatt DSC, HHonors/SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG PLT
Thanks for the help so far. I have about 2 hours turnaround time, so will hopefully be okay.
Old May 24, 14, 2:36 pm

Remember: I'm not saying you can't stay airside. I don't know. It seems that LIR is not set up for int'l-to-int'l transfers, but I could be wrong. Do report back how it works.

So, assuming you have to go through passport control ...

If MIA-LIR is on time:

That bodes well for you, especially if you're in the front of the plane. That is the first incoming international flight of the day, so you won't be caught in an immigration bottleneck. You will be going through security, though, with your fellow LIR-DFW passengers as well as any dawdlers on the LIR-MIA flight going out on the plane you came in on.

If MIA-LIR runs late:

You will get bunched in with other international arrivals, in particular, DL's ATL-LIR flight getting in soon after your scheduled arrival time. A late arrival will cut into your time for formalities, of course. A too-late arrival will be a problem in that you're not going out on the same plane you came in on.
Old May 24, 14, 2:40 pm

Where are you going to get your LIR-DFW boarding pass? Will you need to check in at LIR? I'm not sure OLCI is offered -- again, I'm not sure -- and there are no self-service check-in kiosks.
Old May 25, 14, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Well, safely back in the USA. Figured I'd report on my experience. You DO have to go through passport control and customs. Thankfully, my upgrade came through, so I was one of the first off of the plane. There was no line at passport control, and about a 2 minute line at customs. I was told I did have to pay the departure tax, and obtain a paper boarding pass from check-in -- both of which took longer than customs.

Of course, the Liberia airport is very small, so things were close-by. I had plenty of time to kill with 2 hours in between flights. Of course, YMMV.
Old May 25, 14, 9:05 pm

Thanks for reporting back. I'm glad it worked out. But you should not have had to pay the departure tax.
Old May 31, 14, 2:36 pm

It's too bad your layover wasn't a bit longer. You were only 45 minutes easy drive away from some very nice beaches.

Search this Thread