Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Honduras Safety - advice needed

Old Jan 16, 2014, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold

Hi everyone. So I was recently able to grab a Biz class fare on DL's super low BOS-ATL-TGU flights. I was not aware at the time of booking of Honduras being a "dangerous" destination. I know everyone's experiences are different but can someone please give me the "real" scoop? A bit of background about me - I'm a single male in my mid thirties. I speak Spanish almost fluently and certainly MUCH more than just "conversationally." I've traveled pretty extensively in my life and tend to navigate cities pretty well meaning I'm aware of my surroundings, I don't flash large amounts of cash, I gen. take cabs after dark, no ostentatious jewelry and I don't get smashed in bars and then try to walk home. SO, having said all that - with reasonable precautions - is it STILL a dangerous place and should I cancel my ticket or is it just one of those places where extra caution should be all that's needed and I don't need an armed guard with me? Please help on any advice/insight and thanks in advance for your productive reply. Thank you.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 5:03 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
The questions are: Why are you going to Honduras? Where do you plan to go there? What do you plan to do there? Or is this primarily a mileage run?

Honduras's "problem" places are its cities, in other words, Tegucigalpa, San Pedro Sula, and La Ceiba. Those are the real subjects of the travel advisories. Neither Tegus nor San Pedro is terribly interesting either. There are plenty of places to go in the country that are interesting and a lot safer. The thing is, you have much better access to them from San Pedo Sula than from Tegucigalpa. The capital just kind of sits off on its own. San Pedro gives you better access to Copan and the Bay Islands, although you could catch a domestic flight to the islands from TGU.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 7:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM, Delta SM, United Silver, Amx Plat, Delta Amx Plat, Six-T Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks SJO. Good question and sorry I left that out. It's solely a MR. So only going to Tegul.. In on Saturday at noonish and back home on Sunday at 1PM. As an aside though, I hear what you said in your post, but I tend to vacation in cities so even when I go somewhere here in the States, I"m in a city somewhere. but really it's all about the miles, and I'm perfectly OK to go somewhere, have a good meal, chill at the pool and return home. Def like finding good local bar but it's not required by any means.. I know, I know, I can hear the groans but hey, it's what I like to do. Hope that answers your question - MR all the way!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by soxfanndc
I'm perfectly OK to go somewhere, have a good meal, chill at the pool and return home.
That sounds about like what you'll have time for. Okay. The center of the city is not safe at night. Neighborhoods east of downtown are better, and the more "Americanized" southern part of the city is safer yet. You still need to be very careful at night. That means taxis only. When you're ready to call it a night and return to your hotel, have the place where you're at call you a cab or have the guard get you one. (Most places do have a guard.) Do this rather than you hailing a taxi on the street.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.