Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Budget/Alamo at GUA: two worlds/car rental

Old Sep 29, 13, 1:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"

Reserved a car via UA.COM at GUA. Arrived and could not find the Alamo counter... nor any signage for the shuttle. Quite perplexing. There were four or five other vendors outside luggage claim. Budget's rep was there, on the ball, asked me what I was looking for... he was efficient. He obviously couldn't/wouldn't help find Alamo but... for 38 USD he offered me a new Kia compact, all-in. I had limited time in GUA so I agreed to his salesmanship in order to get out to Antigua for my short layover. Everything was in order on the return and the deal was really a good one, no ripoffs or any other problems.

GUA was fun, and driving was surprisingly less challenging than other Cent Am cities including MGA which I had just visited. The drivers were shockingly genteel for a Cent Am country. My only issue was getting lost attempting to follow the C1 highway back to the GUA airport. I ended up downtown, asked the Policia Nacional dude, he was explaining to me when an older lady rolled her window down and said, aeropuerto, gringo, follow me... I did so, and two rights/three lefts/some doglegs later, right outside the terminal

It was a bad and uncharacteristic error to not have a detailed street map of GUA on me, but I still made it on time.

I'm definitely returning here with Shark family for vac.

Search this Thread