Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Guatemala with a 10-month old - Accommodations, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, LY Silver

Hello FT Friends,

My wife and I are traveling to Guatemala for 2 weeks around Christmas and New Year's. We're seasoned budget travels, but this will be our first travel to the developing world with our son, who will be 10-months old at the time. Whereas in the past, we would just show up in a town with no reservations and just wander around until we found a guesthouse / hostel that met our needs, we know that this trip will be different. We plan to make reservations in advance. The guidebooks I'm reading don't give a great indication if a place is particularly good for traveling with a young child - mostly, we need a places that are relatively quiet after 7pm so the little one can get some rest.

For any of you who know the country well, we'd love tips and recommendations for places that we'd enjoy going and staying with the little one.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
As a general rule, traveling in Guatemala around Christmas is tough. Guest houses/hotels fill up fast, tend to require a minimum stay, and charge >2x the normal price. Transportation can be harder to come by as well. Book everything you can in advance.

Another general rule about Guatemala is that it is a quiet place in the evening. It isn't a party destination. Last call is around 1230am and bars close at 1am.

Antigua is the main tourist city and certainly worth a visit. It's a quick drive from the GUA airport. From there you can travel to Panajachel (Lake Atitlan) and Xela (the country's second city). If you prefer a beach, Monterrico is a reasonable drive. I would avoid Tikal and the eastern portion of the country due to the long travel distance, unless you plan to fly. Tikal also requires a healthy amount of walking, something that may be difficult with a baby.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.