Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Nicaragua accommodation

Nicaragua accommodation

Old Aug 11, 13, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Nicaragua accommodation

Hi - I'm heading to Nicaragua for a couple of weeks at the end of the month. I plan to spend a few days in Granada at the beginning, and after that I'll sort of wander around to wherever I have an interest - will definitely go to León, probably Ometepe, and also some other cities up north.

I plan to stay at cheap hostales (not youth hostels) - ideally paying somewhere in the $20/night range, or perhaps less. Since the trip isn't really planned out (that's kind of the point), I'm reluctant to book everything out before I arrive. Is it imperative to reserve in advance?

I've got a Lonely Planet that has some recommendations, but from my past experiences with Latin American travel, there are usually lots of budget places to choose from. All the booking sites are geared towards fancy hotels with rates of around $75/night minimum.

Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Aug 11, 13, 3:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
"$20 or less" doesn't buy you much these days, even in Nicaragua. What you could find, I'd question how clean and safe the places are. I used to stay at places like that in Nicaragua all the time; I'm getting older now and I have less tolerance. I fully admit that's at work here. Are you absolutely limited to spending that amount? You don't need to spend $75 a night, but if you loosen the pursestrings to, say, $35-40, you can buy more comfort, most important, air conditioning. Nicaragua gets VERY hot.

The cheap places just don't deal with booking sites. You'll have to make the arrangements directly, possibly by phone. (They may or may not have E-mail.)

You probably don't need to reserve in advance. You say, "for a couple of weeks at the end of the month" ... I can't tell how far that takes you into September. Sept. 14 and 15 are holidays in Nicaragua. Places will likely be very busy that weekend.
Old Aug 13, 13, 7:33 pm

Programs: Still working on being loyal
trip advisor is a decent place to find low key quality places to stay. ORO travel out of granada is pretty helpful also. granada you can just walk around and get pricing from everything and negotiate. ometepe you'll want to make some plans in advance - i've stayed here, a bit far from the ferry and we always take a truck off the beaten path very relaxing. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...epartment.html

if you make it to pacific coast I'd suggest, Guasacate, this place is great right on the beach http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...epartment.html
Old Aug 21, 13, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
For $20 you are not going to get AC. In Granada, you want AC. If you go up to $30-35, you will be much happier.

Oh, I see that SJO guy had already covered this! I spent almost 3 years in Nicaragua and never made it to Ometepe which I regret, hope you enjoy it and post back how you felt about it!!
Old Aug 24, 13, 10:30 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I found Ometepe quite charming and enjoyed the visit about 10 years ago.

The odd thing I found about hostals in Nica, at least the ones where I stayed, was that you will have a/c but no hot water. This may have changed in the past 10 years, perhaps they added the small electric hot water heaters into the shower head like in other places.

And in Granada it's easy to find a place just walking around. I actually did that on the island as well.

EmailKid
Old Aug 24, 13, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the responses, and apologies for my delayed checking in. I've just come back from a business trip to Mexico, where I acquired a life-affirming case of La Venganza de Moctezuma, so I've been... otherwise occupied for a while.

I don't particularly need a/c - actually, I don't even have it in my apartment in NYC. As long as there's a fan, I should be fine.

I may just show up in Granada and see what I find my first day. I figure that, for other destinations, I can get recommendations from local tourist offices and book in advance by phone if needed. Since I don't have my exact itinerary laid out, I'd probably do that a couple of days in advance - but from what I'm gathering I won't need to worry too much about it.

If anyone does have a recommendation for a nice, inexpensive (say <$30-ish/nt) place in Granada, though, please do let me know!

I'll report back after the trip.
Old Aug 24, 13, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Parts of Nicaragua can be quite hot. I travelled a bit there 10-12 years ago. I'd pay the extra $5 in most cases.
Old Aug 24, 13, 7:39 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I had a friend who stayed at a place called Hotel America or something like that on the main drag. It was most of the way down on the left. It was clean and had AC for about $25 a couple years ago. I know you say you don't need AC but in Granada it can be flat out miserable without it. This time of the year you really don't need reservations you will find rooms, don't worry about that, and in your price range the best thing to do is to show up and see what you like best. Have them drop you off in the plaza, walk down behind the big yellow church (honestly you simply can't miss it) and stop in several hotels until you find one you like. There will be almost a dozen renting rooms on that street alone, many in the $20-40 range. Go a block or 2 off that street and there are even more.
Old Aug 31, 13, 12:14 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
I had trouble finding a cheap good place in Grenada and I think I paid $27 the first couple nights (no A/C), $45 the second time with A/C and a pool.

Outside Grenada though, prices drop a lot. I got an $8 single with A/C in the ferry port town of Ometepe by just showing up and looking around. That's the best bet for the cheapie places.

For Guidebooks, the Moon one is a lot better than the others, in my experience.
Old Sep 2, 13, 11:17 pm

Appreciate the feedback from people with experience here!

We are looking for a 'Ecotourism' type experience in Nicaragua the latter half of April 2014 (trip total 8 days). I did not think this worthy of a separate thread, so adding on here.

We have no strict requirements (beach, jungle, etc.) other than a reputable 'resort' / tour operator, and of course that it meets the definition of ecotourism.

Lots of web sites listing places that look attractive, just would like to see if anyone here has some feedback.

Thanks!

Lark

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecotourism
"Ecotourism is a form of tourism involving visiting fragile, pristine, and relatively undisturbed natural areas, intended as a low-impact and often small scale alternative to standard commercial (mass) tourism. Its purpose may be to educate the traveler, to provide funds for ecological conservation, to directly benefit the economic development and political empowerment of local communities, or to foster respect for different cultures and for human rights. Since the 1980s ecotourism has been considered a critical endeavour by environmentalists, so that future generations may experience destinations relatively untouched by human intervention.[1] Several university programs use this description as the working definition of ecotourism.[2]
Generally, ecotourism deals with living parts of the natural environments.[3] Ecotourism focuses on socially responsible travel, personal growth, and environmental sustainability. Ecotourism typically involves travel to destinations where flora, fauna, and cultural heritage are the primary attractions. Ecotourism is intended to offer tourists insight into the impact of human beings on the environment, and to foster a greater appreciation of our natural habitats.
Responsible ecotourism programs include those that minimize the negative aspects of conventional tourism on the environment and enhance the cultural integrity of local people. Therefore, in addition to evaluating environmental and cultural factors, an integral part of ecotourism is the promotion of recycling, energy efficiency, water conservation, and creation of economic opportunities for local communities.[4] For these reasons, ecotourism often appeals to advocates of environmental and social responsibility."
Old Sep 7, 13, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Follow-up

Well, I'm in Nicaragua (León at the moment). Booked myself into a $40 place the first couple of nights in Granada (Casa del Capricho), which was quite nice but way more than I needed. I ended up moving over to Hostal el Momento, where I got a very comfortable private room for $14 a couple of blocks from the parque central. No ac, but I found it quite comfortable at night with just the fan.

In León I'm paying all of $20 for a huge, extremely comfortable room in some place called Santiago de los Caballeros. Again no ac, but with the ceiling fan it's totally fine - and the temparature has been quite pleasant at night, due in large part to the fact that it's been thunderstorming almost all the time from mid-afternoon to late evening, every single day.

It seems Nicaragua is very much on low season at the moment - as in aftermath-of-zombie-plague low season. Except for the hostel, I've been pretty much the only person staying in these places.
Old Sep 17, 13, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Nicaragua accommodation

check wikitravel.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: