Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

One day in SJO [San Jose, Costa Rica], what should we do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond

Arriving at 9:31am and leave at 6:30am the next day. After we drop off our bags at Courtyard San Jose Airport, where should we take our boys age 9 and 13? Any good zip line tour, Hot Spring resorts nearby that we visit for the day? Should we drive ourselves or hire a tour guide?

There are so much to do and perhaps we need to limit our visit to just SJO city tour and plan for a longer visit next time…..

Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: BA GGL (CCR), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA, Club Carlson Gold
Personally speaking, there isn't that much to do in SJO itself. You could do a nearby volcano tour or go to a coffee plantation, but personally I would hire a guide and take the 2 hour drive to Manual Antonio to walk through the National Park (technically its not rainforest but close enough - lots of animals to see if you are lucky) and check out the beach. Or just go and head to the beach if you want to chill out.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Rent a car and drive down to Puntarenas or one of the biological parks. Drive some of the mountain roads on your way down to enjoy the spectacular scenery. Return via the fast (toll) highway.

Or wander around Alajuela, walking/taxi distance from the airport. A nice suburban town with plazas, shops, restaurants, etc. Or Denny's for dinner if the kids are in culture shock. It's across the street from the Holiday Inn Alajuela.

Avoid downtown San José IMHO....gritty, not very safe, and not much for kids to enjoy. Pretty standard Central American city with office and govt buildings.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Avoid downtown San José IMHO....gritty, not very safe, and not much for kids to enjoy. Pretty standard Central American city with office and govt buildings.
Well, there are the museums, but otherwise pretty much agree.

There are several tours you can take, but by the time you arrive in town it may be late, unless they pick up at the airport hotel.

I've done a few, and the only one that disappointed me was the coffee plantation.

Manuel Antonio is still my favorite part of Costa Rica, and the national park there is very nice. Also a good place to do some body surfing

EmailKid
Old Aug 9, 2013, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
There are several tours you can take, but by the time you arrive in town it may be late, unless they pick up at the airport hotel.
Sounds like our best option is to rent a car. Do we have to join a tour or is there any good zip lines park that we can drive there ourselves? Also saw some insane mountain water slides, hot springs resorts on Travel Channel....any good recommendations? After a week in SXM, I think we will skip CR coast this time.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by 168
Do we have to join a tour or is there any good zip lines park that we can drive there ourselves? Also saw some insane mountain water slides, hot springs resorts on Travel Channel....
Zip lines aren't my thing, so hopefully someone else will offer advice there.

I went to a hot springs resort at Arenal, and that was kind of fun to chill out for half a day. That was a few years back, so they may well have more attractions now, like the water slides.

I know they have zip lines close to Quepos, which is close to Manuel Antonio.

EmailKid
Old Aug 11, 2013, 10:42 pm

If you get there early enough in the day, there are quite a few tours that will pick you up from your San Jose hotel, and drop you back off in the evening. I'm going to CR this week for the first time, and have been doing a ton of research. Good day trips near San Jose include the Poas Volcano and the La Paz Waterfall Gardens...check them out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.