Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Belize itinerary? (and how to plan?!)

Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

We're planning on going to Belize, from about 12/21/2012 - 01/01/2013.

I think we want to spend some time on the Cayes, and some time on the mainland. We'd really like to see some mayan ruins, see some caves, do some snorkeling, and hang out on the beach. It'll be just me and my better half. We're hoping to keep it under $500/day (not including airfare), but that may be impossible.

How would you suggest choosing an itinerary, and choosing hotels? Maybe this is a good time to talk to a travel agent?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:50 pm

The classic surf&turf:
Have a rental car from the airport, drive up to the Cayo district, stay wherever you like (lots of options from cheap to pricey near San Ignacio). Explore the caves, Mayan ruins, maybe take a day trip to Guatemala for Tikal (yes, a day trip is not a waste of time at all) or the ruins of Caracol, etc. Cahal Pech, in the town of San Ignacio, is a great place for a few hours also.
Drive your car back to the airport and fly to Ambergris. Or drive your car to the port (some car rental places will let you drop off at the terminal) and take the much cheaper boat shuttle ride to your destination (if it's on the route).
Note that you're going to be spending the money every day to take a boat tour to whatever snorkeling place you want (no from-the-beach snorkeling here), and that water entry for just swimming is complicated by sea grass and boats.
Placentia (to the south) might be a better area for your beach/snorkeling time.
Or Long Caye, which I believe has beach snorkeling.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
The classic surf&turf:
Have a rental car from the airport, drive up to the Cayo district, stay wherever you like (lots of options from cheap to pricey near San Ignacio). Explore the caves, Mayan ruins, maybe take a day trip to Guatemala for Tikal (yes, a day trip is not a waste of time at all) or the ruins of Caracol, etc. Cahal Pech, in the town of San Ignacio, is a great place for a few hours also.
Drive your car back to the airport and fly to Ambergris. Or drive your car to the port (some car rental places will let you drop off at the terminal) and take the much cheaper boat shuttle ride to your destination (if it's on the route).
Note that you're going to be spending the money every day to take a boat tour to whatever snorkeling place you want (no from-the-beach snorkeling here), and that water entry for just swimming is complicated by sea grass and boats.
Placentia (to the south) might be a better area for your beach/snorkeling time.
Or Long Caye, which I believe has beach snorkeling.
Do you think it's safe to rent a car? I had also heard that Guatemala was a bit on the dangerous side, but I've also heard that they have the best Mayan ruins. What do you think?

Any experience with travel agents? Worth it?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:32 pm

We (older couple) rented a small 4x4 at the airport, and had no problems. Driving is fine, but NOT into Guatemala. You should just arrange a day tour for that. I've heard that Caracol (we took tour) can be iffy for individual cars.
The ruins of Belize are many and great; but Tikal in Guatemala is certainly an amazing site.
I haven't used a travel agent since the 80s (the google is your friend); check out tripadvisor and http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...merica/belize/ for more detailed information.
By the way, it's only 70 miles from the airport to the Cayo area; the roads are fine, but watch out for speed bumps.
Old Oct 7, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I found great advice when I went to Belize in this thread: Belize Value Tips.

I did a couple days in San Ignacio to see Mayan Ruins at Xunantunich. Wanted to do Caracol, but couldn't arrange a tour as a single traveller during the low season. There are tons of agencies in San Ignacio to arrange tours with, and with two people you should be able to arrange both a day tour to a Mayan site, and some cave exploring for a second day if you are interested.

Chilled on Caye Caulker for the beach part. Didn't do much but hang out, enjoy the sun (except for a bad burn - don't buy knock-off sun cream) and the water.

Here's my trip report, which includes where I stayed and costs and all.

My trip was well under $500/day, though I was doing it quite budget. But even splashing out, I think that is doable. The hotel on Caulker I stayed at (Tropical Paradise Hotel, Caye Caulker) was only 40 USD a night, and was pretty nice.

Greg
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:00 am

If you want to see Mayan ruins, you should definitely arrange a tour to Tikal. It's impressive!
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
We're planning on going to Belize, from about 12/21/2012 - 01/01/2013.

I think we want to spend some time on the Cayes, and some time on the mainland. We'd really like to see some mayan ruins, see some caves, do some snorkeling, and hang out on the beach. It'll be just me and my better half. We're hoping to keep it under $500/day (not including airfare), but that may be impossible.

How would you suggest choosing an itinerary, and choosing hotels? Maybe this is a good time to talk to a travel agent?
If you can find some time, take a bit and peruse this couple’s blog. They moved to Belize (Ambergris Caye) about 1.5 yrs ago. The blogs about their trips to the mainland to see ruins and birdwatching would be very helpful to you. Check the months of August and Sept. I think there were several about such trips.

http://bebelize.weebly.com/
Old Dec 2, 2012, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I think $500 / day is adequate if you budget wisely.

My partner and I were there earlier this year. Arrived at BZE, picked up a car (car rental is a whole story and going with a brand-name outfit such as Budget doesn't mean you're going o get a good car), and drove to San Ignacio (you can avoid going through Belize City totally by heading north on the highway from BZE and cutting around the back). Don't need a 4WD but a small one (small Suzukis not sold in the U.S. for decades) is affordable and usually the cheapest. With 2 nts in San Ignacio, it was enough time to see Cahal Pech (right around the corner from our hotel) and ample time to see Xenatunich (sp). There's a big ruin south of San Ignacio but the road is rough and you have to be convoyed in and out for security (Guatemalan bandits). Apparently about 2hrs of rough roads once you leave the pavement to get to the ruin. Tikal would be a whole day and you can arrange a tour in San Ignacio.

As others stated, driving into Guatemala is not permitted or at least strongly discouraged.

Roads are fine but watch for potholes and speed bumps through every town.

We then drove to Placencia which is where Belizeans apparently go to let loose. It's developing but has a charm as it's not overrun by foreigners (yet). Hopkins (stopped for lunch here) would have more charm as it is almost totally undeveloped. We spent 3 nts here mainly to go see whale sharks (paid a lot for a 15 second glimpse of one). You'll be there at the wrong time so no need to pay for this rather-expensive activity.

Drove back to BZE where we flew to Caye Caulker. From what I understand, it's a lot nicer here than San Pedro on Ambergis Caye (or at least more to or taste) and stayed here for 3 nts to snorkel. Flew back to BZE to fly home.

If you eat local, the food is cheap. The tourist joints in Placencia will set you back nearly as much as in Florida.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:18 am
Original Poster

OK - I am booked for Belize. One thing I haven't booked is a car - though I'm hoping I don't need one.

I need to get roundtrip transportation from Belize city to San Ignacio. My hotel is asking for $340 for this. This seems freakishly steep. Should I just pay up, or should I do something else?

Thanks!!
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, WN A-List, Marriot Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
OK - I am booked for Belize. One thing I haven't booked is a car - though I'm hoping I don't need one.

I need to get roundtrip transportation from Belize city to San Ignacio. My hotel is asking for $340 for this. This seems freakishly steep. Should I just pay up, or should I do something else?

Thanks!!
Tropic Air www.tropicair.com, offers direct flights from BZE to San Ignacio for about $200 RT.

Check the flight times.

And a fairly cheap cab to your hotel.

About $60 U.S a day for a car rented at BZE...so guess it depends how many people and how long you are staying.
Where are you staying in S.I. ?

And here is a transfer service from Mayan Flats Airstrip( San Ignacio) to resorts.http://www.yaxcheadventuretours.com/...n-ignacio.html

Cheers,

HP

Last edited by HighPotter; Dec 17, 2012 at 9:38 pm Reason: More info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.