Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Central America
Reload this Page >

53 minute stopover in San Jose CR

53 minute stopover in San Jose CR

Old Jul 8, 12, 11:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 384
53 minute stopover in San Jose CR

Is 53 minutes enough to transfer in SJO? I arrive at 10:50 am on a United flight and depart at 11:43am on a Copa flight to Panama.
awardticket is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 12:16 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FRA
Programs: UA 1K, AA Exec Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Posts: 252
53 minute stopover in San Jose CR

Close. Depends on arrival.
coplatflyer is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 1:44 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 384
is it all in the same terminal or will I have to do a terminal change?
awardticket is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 2:23 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJO
Programs: CO Gold
Posts: 1,217
no terminal change, it seems doable to me if you have your copa boarding pass and if your united plane is on time.
wolfie_cr is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 3:52 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr View Post
no terminal change, it seems doable to me if you have your copa boarding pass and if your united plane is on time.
Good idea. Would United be able to print it our for me in EWR or should I do it online from home?
awardticket is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 4:18 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJO
Programs: CO Gold
Posts: 1,217
I am almost positive you will have no problem doing it online, if not, by all means insist at the airport, if you have to clear immigration/customs go out and then back in..............I can almost assure you , that you are toast. '

The lines are not long but you could easily wait 20 mins for your luggage, by the time you are out and back at the check in counter the copa flight will be , almost for sure, closed.

But again, I am 99.99% sure you wont have a problem.
wolfie_cr is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 5:06 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 384
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr View Post
I am almost positive you will have no problem doing it online, if not, by all means insist at the airport, if you have to clear immigration/customs go out and then back in..............I can almost assure you , that you are toast. '

The lines are not long but you could easily wait 20 mins for your luggage, by the time you are out and back at the check in counter the copa flight will be , almost for sure, closed.

But again, I am 99.99% sure you wont have a problem.
Ok so I will make sure to get it. If need be I can carry my luggage with me instead of checking it. Is that a good idea?
awardticket is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 7:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 1,609
United and Copa are partners, so you should be able to get your Copa boarding pass when you check in at EWR. As long as you have it, you will not have to go through immigration and customs at SJO. Just walk to your connecting gate. It's a small enough airport that it won't take long.
SJOGuy is offline  
Old Jul 8, 12, 10:59 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 384
Ok thank you guys I will do this connnection in that case, Aside from just being partners I actually booked the Copa flight together with the United one as 1 ticket on United.com. My other option was going through ORD, but I would add 2 hours to travel time, not to mention getting up at 3 am for the flight to ORD so this is a much better option.
awardticket is offline  
Old Jul 9, 12, 7:07 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJO
Programs: CO Gold
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by SJOGuy View Post
United and Copa are partners, so you should be able to get your Copa boarding pass when you check in at EWR. As long as you have it, you will not have to go through immigration and customs at SJO. Just walk to your connecting gate. It's a small enough airport that it won't take long.
side note and not affecting the OP

SJOGuy, did you hear about the marvelous plan they have to isolate incoming/departing pax at SJO? I swear these guys of our government........
wolfie_cr is offline  
Old Jul 10, 12, 6:34 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SJO
Programs: TA Platinum (Now LifeMiles Diamond), CO/CM Platinum. (Now UA Premier 1K) AMEX Platinum
Posts: 379
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr View Post
side note and not affecting the OP

SJOGuy, did you hear about the marvelous plan they have to isolate incoming/departing pax at SJO? I swear these guys of our government........
Wolfie & SJOGuy, this is way past the plan stage, they are building it, starting at gate #10 and moving inward. The better plan I heard is that soon, the exit tax will be included in the ticket price and they will eliminate the extra step of buying it on the way out.

OP, Copa, and most others at SJO generally start boarding 30 minutes prior to departure, seeing how it is possible to crawl from one end of the terminal to the other in under 10 minutes, your connection is really no sweat. Being that it sounds like the whole thing is ticketed on UA, your luggage has a very good chance at making the connection also. As posted above it will depend on arriving on time from the US. I would be looking for lounge access with that type of connection.
TacaCopaFlyer is offline  
Old Jul 10, 12, 9:38 pm
  #12  
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: YYJ/YVR/SEA
Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Posts: 13,366
What others said, should be no problem, either for you or your luggage.

COPA and UA use the same FF program, and the tails of the birds look very similiar @:-)

EmailKid
EmailKid is offline  
Old Jul 10, 12, 11:31 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: SJO
Programs: CO Gold
Posts: 1,217
Originally Posted by TacaCopaFlyer View Post
Wolfie & SJOGuy, this is way past the plan stage, they are building it, starting at gate #10 and moving inward.
this **cks.....I will take a look next month, I was in SJO last month and didnt see a thing about it but when I landed I was in gate 5.

Honestly I wonder, what logic is there to this? the one I heard is avoid handing drugs between incoming and departing passengers? wth.....its not like PTY is going to follow the same plan (I hope)

I swear that my goverment sits every afternoon to think about new wonderful master plans.......to implement, while the obvious fixes go ignored for years.
wolfie_cr is offline  
Old Jul 24, 12, 11:32 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DEN
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 634
Yes. Plenty of time. I have done this exact connection twice. You'll get your Copa BP when you check-in for United if its the same PNR. If its not, you can still get it, but you'll need to ask an agent.
CObigtimefan is offline  
Old Jul 25, 12, 2:35 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose, Costa Rica
Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Posts: 1,609
The plan to separate arriving and departing passengers was announced late last year, but I didn't know it was that far along. I'm still having trouble visualizing how they'll do that.

Terminal construction has been going on for years, so it's hard to tell any more what construction is for what purpose. I attended a press event in August 2000 for the inauguration of the new terminal. All that was done at the time was the baggage-claim area. Things are still not quite finished 12 years later.

I am happy to hear about including the exit tax in the price of the ticket, though. Back when there was a three-tiered system (tourists, foreign residents, citizens) it would have been difficult, but now that everybody pays the same $28, just do it already.
SJOGuy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: