Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Costa Rica SIM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2011, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Costa Rica SIM

I read that visitors can't buy pre-paid SIMs, is this still true?

I'll be there next week and need to stay connected
Old Oct 20, 2011, 5:44 am

Programs: CO Gold
this is no longer the case but the process is not 'that' easy

supposedly there was an ICE booth (telecom) at the arrivals hall but some genious recently decided that incoming passengers should not roam free and mingle with departing pax.....and they want to sort of separate people, I havent been back to SJO yet but I have the feeling they will have some rentacops making sure you go from your gate to immigration directly and therefore I dont know for sure if you can buy one on arrival

good news is that ICE branches are everywhere and shouldnt be much of a problem to get one the day after (if you arrive at night)

they will probably want to get a photocopy of the info page of your passport,.....you know, "know your customer" @$%@$%#%
Old Oct 20, 2011, 7:50 am

Smile

You can get a prepaid sim card at any ICE agency in Costa Rica. The only thing that you need to be able to purchase it is your passport.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

great, does anyone know about pricing?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 3:42 am

10-20 bucks may be? cellphone rates are low
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
10-20 bucks may be? cellphone rates are low
including data?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by ClimbGuy
including data?
ok the @#$@$#$#@$of the phone company have an ongoing mess with prepaid and internet ....apparently 30 days of prepaid internet cost about 20 bucks extra

but in this case you will have to rely on what they tell you at the branch.

supposedly as per this link, http://www.grupoice.com/wps/portal/k...Prepago_planes you send a message to 6060 with the word of your choice (day/week/month , dia , semana etc)And the amount will be deducted from your prepaid balance

if this is critical to you I suggest you make absolutely sure that it works before leaving the branch
Old Nov 16, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

thank you all for your help.

Does anyone know what time the airport location closes? My flight doesn't get in until around 9:30 pm
Old Nov 18, 2011, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec
In addition to ClimbGuys question, is there a difference whether its Liberia or San Jose airports?

TS
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:51 am
Original Poster

So when i was at SJO, they couldn't sell me a SIM because the system was down.

I bought one at a corner store, but the guy there didn't know what the customer service number was nor did he have any information for configuring the APN

The APN settings are as follows:
Name: ice
APN: kolbi3g
MCC: 712
MNC: 01

For tech support call 1193 option 5, you can ask for someone who speaks English.

They will give you instructions for setting the APN for your phone.

general customer support is 1024
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Any recent experience with SIMs in CR? Looking for one for an iPhone (unlocked) for voice and data. Staying about 9 days.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 3:56 pm

currently there are 3 major operators

claro
movistar
and ice (also known as kolbi, their cellphone 'brand')

the best coverage is ICE but if internet speed is important to you movistar may be better (but their coverage is spotty specially away from major cities in the central valley)
I dont hear good things about claro

what you want is called 'prepago'

internet packages are listed here http://www.grupoice.com/wps/portal/k...o#.UNDyVneAcpw , 9 dollars, speed 1 mbps (in reality much less) you dont pay extra for gigabyte or anything

whether you land on LIR or SJO , I think there is a kolbi booth on both, it could be closed, but a taxi driver can take you to an ICE branch rather easily or suggest a better option....you can simply cut a sim into the propietary size of an iphone right? regardless ICE can get you up to speed
Old Jan 18, 2013, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Any recent experience with SIMs in CR? Looking for one for an iPhone (unlocked) for voice and data. Staying about 9 days.
Picked up a Movistar pre-paid SIM from their store in the Multiplaza mall in Escazu. Total cost was CRC10,000 (about $20) for (essentially) unlimited internet access and phone calls for the two weeks I was there. Easy and quick to set up. Coverage was excellent everywhere we went (Arenal, Guanacaste, Jaco, Manuel Antonio.) The only place with no coverage was the Poas Volcano National Park at the very top.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Place to buy SIM inside LIR?

Has anyone been to LIR recently that can verify whether or not there is a place to buy a SIM within the airport?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 8:21 am

yes inside the gate - I missed it the first time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.