A week in Guatemala early August

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A week in Guatemala early August

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Question A week in Guatemala early August

First time in Guatemala, we are going to visit Chichicastenango (4 days), Lake Atitlan (2 days) and Antigua (2 days). Any tips, advice, precautions... etc. which are not found in guide books?

No, we are not renting a car.

Thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 6:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
I think four days in Chichi is overkill. The market is held on Thursday and Sunday. The rest of the week, it's pretty quiet. Not that that's not nice, but I don't think four days is necessary. At least it wouldn't be for me. I'd take some of that time and devote it to Antigua and/or the lake.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Island DOs, very sticky toffee pud w vanilla ice cream n multi-coloured velvet pillows enthusiast
Thanks, SJOGuy. Will take your advice into consideration.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:43 pm

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
I'll comment on Antigua.

I spent three nights there last summer. Two good things that I did were:

Hired a guide for a 1/2 day tour. She is an expat. who has lived in Antigua for over 20 years. Unfortunately, I cannot immediately think of her name, but she is mentioned in either Frommers or Fodors. Her knowledge of Antigua's history and culture was outstanding. She starts her walking tour from the central square and can be booked on short notice.

She has an interest in a small hotel which I looked at and would have booked had I known earlier.

Hokey as it sounds, the tour of the coffee plantation was excellent. They pick up at the central square.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 2:09 pm

What about a trip to Tikal instead of spending 4 days in Chichi? I'm off to guatemala in Dec and from what I have read a day/night is enough in Chichi. Tikal is apparently one of the most important set of ruins in the Western hemisphere. You can fly into the aiport at Flores from Guatemala or take the overnight bus.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by opushomes
Hired a guide for a 1/2 day tour. She is an expat. who has lived in Antigua for over 20 years. Unfortunately, I cannot immediately think of her name, but she is mentioned in either Frommers or Fodors. Her knowledge of Antigua's history and culture was outstanding. She starts her walking tour from the central square and can be booked on short notice.
Thanks, opushomes. Any chance at all you can recall her name? I would also like to find out more from her about Spanish schools in Antigua.

Originally Posted by mel.b
What about a trip to Tikal instead of spending 4 days in Chichi? I'm off to guatemala in Dec and from what I have read a day/night is enough in Chichi. Tikal is apparently one of the most important set of ruins in the Western hemisphere.
The trip is planned by friends who have been there. I will ask them if this is doable. I have a feeling this won't be our only visit to Guatemala. Thanks for chiming in, mel.b.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
Originally Posted by opushomes
Hired a guide for a 1/2 day tour. She is an expat. who has lived in Antigua for over 20 years. Unfortunately, I cannot immediately think of her name, but she is mentioned in either Frommers or Fodors.
Might be thinking of Elizabeth Bell? She helped me arrange my hotels, tours, etc during my visit to Guatemala a couple years ago. Also took her 1/2 day tour in Antigua.

A few other suggestions:
- I enjoyed climbing up Pacaya Volcano - day trip from Antigua. Though we were there in December - not sure what the temperature is like in summer?
- When you are at the lake, make sure to take a boat over to the Mayan villages and go find Maximon.
- Did a day trip to the market in Chichi. Was a long day of driving (shared van), but not sure I would really want to spend the night there vs. returning to Atitlan - so much more to do there.
- I also wanted to see the ocean, so did a day trip to Monterrico beach. Also a little bit of a drive, and not the nicest beach, but the whole town was very low key and enjoyable.

Last edited by dbuckho; Jul 26, 2010 at 10:11 pm
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:10 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Yes, Elizabeth Bell

Here is the link to reach her.

http://www.aroundantigua.com/travel/

http://www.aroundantigua.com/travel/antiguatours.htm

A less expensive alternative to Tikal is Copan Ruinas in Honduras. It is a long bus ride, approximately 5 hours, from Guate. The bus line is Hedman Alas and if you wish I have a good 4 room hotel to recommend. It is about a 1/2 day visit to a very nice site.
Old Jul 29, 2010, 8:42 pm

Programs: Lots
Another vote for Tikal here. I've spent the last few years going to ancient sites and Tikal is by far my favorite. It's probably heresy but I preferred it to Machu Picchu. The jungle setting is amazing and a sunset seeing a flock of toucans come to roost is something I'll never forget. Whether you go this trip or a future trip recommend staying in Flores and taking a van to the site for a day. The site hotels are mighty pricey.

Copan is also a great site in a great little town. It lacks the grandeur of Tikal but makes up for it in the details of the carving of the stelae.

I was underwhelmed with both Atitlan and Antigua. Antigua is pretty for a day but other than look at colonial buildings and churches there's not much to do. Although the volcano hike would have been fun, didn't get a chance for that. Similar to Atitlan, the lake is pretty, the shrine to Maximon is actually pretty cool, but other than that... I was pretty bored after a day or two.

No matter what you choose I'm sure you'll love it - Guatemala is one of my favorite places, even find some charm in Guatemala City has some charm. It's inexpensive, delicious food, beautiful... Enjoy!
Old Aug 7, 2010, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Greetings from Antigua... Casa Santo Domingo. Beautiful through and through.

Thanks to dbuckho and opushomes, we took the walking tour with Elizabeth Bell this morning. We have enjoyed it tremendously and wouldn't have known about it without your help ^

We love Guatemala, and will definitely be back to explore more. Next year, hopefully.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.