Search

50 hours in Panama

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles
50 hours in Panama

We will be disembarking a cruise in Colon on a Sunday morning and flying out of PTY the following Tuesday afternoon. I am trying to best plan our time on the ground. One thought is to stay at the Four Points Colon on the first night (only 4k SPG) and take the one hour 'transcontinental' train at 5 pm on Monday to Panama City. We have several redemption options that night in Panama City, the Holiday Inn Knowledge City being the most attractive points-wise. Does anyone have suggestions on how to best spend 1+ days near Colon and an evening/morning in Panama City? Or would you allocate time differently? Thanks for any and all thoughts.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: OnePass
I wish I would have seen this thread sooner since you have probably already left Panama. In case I'm not too late or it might help someone else in the future...here's my advice:

Get out of Colon as soon as you can. There is nothing there and it's dangerous at night. You can do some shopping in the free zone but you don't save enough money to make the trip worth it.

I definitely recommend taking the train to Panama City. All the cars are done up like the old saloon cars. Big leather seats with tables (almost like booths at a restaurant) and wood paneled walls. They also have snack and beverage service. Try to get there early as there is one car with a glass dome roof which is pretty neat. Only problem is that it only runs from Colon to Panama City once a day at 5pm.

The Holiday Inn at the City of Knowledge is OK. It's pretty new but it's in the middle of nowhere and the taxis that serve it are pretty expensive by Panama standards. Maybe 7-8 dollars to go to the city. The problem is getting a taxi back at night. A lot of taxis won't take you as they won't be able to pick anyone up on the way back. The hotel is right across the street from the canal and the Miraflores Locks. There is a museum at the locks which I recommend you visit.

There are a lot of other options in Panama City for hotels but there is currently a hotel shortage here and prices are pretty expensive. It think it would be worth paying a little more to be in the city though. There is a lot to do in Panama City and it's safe.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 5:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by jjcastro
I wish I would have seen this thread sooner since you have probably already left Panama. In case I'm not too late or it might help someone else in the future...here's my advice:

Get out of Colon as soon as you can. There is nothing there and it's dangerous at night. You can do some shopping in the free zone but you don't save enough money to make the trip worth it.

I definitely recommend taking the train to Panama City. All the cars are done up like the old saloon cars. Big leather seats with tables (almost like booths at a restaurant) and wood paneled walls. They also have snack and beverage service. Try to get there early as there is one car with a glass dome roof which is pretty neat. Only problem is that it only runs from Colon to Panama City once a day at 5pm.

The Holiday Inn at the City of Knowledge is OK. It's pretty new but it's in the middle of nowhere and the taxis that serve it are pretty expensive by Panama standards. Maybe 7-8 dollars to go to the city. The problem is getting a taxi back at night. A lot of taxis won't take you as they won't be able to pick anyone up on the way back. The hotel is right across the street from the canal and the Miraflores Locks. There is a museum at the locks which I recommend you visit.

There are a lot of other options in Panama City for hotels but there is currently a hotel shortage here and prices are pretty expensive. It think it would be worth paying a little more to be in the city though. There is a lot to do in Panama City and it's safe.

Thanks for the tips! Our cruise leaves tomorrow and we'll arrive in Colon on 12/6. We used SPG points for the Four Seasons Colon on Sunday night just so we can take the train at 5 on Monday. Have a res at Hotel Milano in Panama City on Monday; simple, inexpensive and has good reviews on tripadvisor. We fly out of PTY Tuesday afternoon. Hoping that we'll be okay in the Four Seasons. I figure after an 8-day cruise we might just feel like resting. We can undo the res and go elsewhere too.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: OnePass
Have fun!

Would like to hear about the positives and negatives of your time in Panama.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.