Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong press - CX 'banana' seats in Y

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2009, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX DM, SQ, BA, TG, Sheba, VN, MPO since 1980

Cathay seat 'a disaster' as quoted by the SCMP Updated on Jul 24, 2009
South China Morning Post 24 July 2009 http://www.scmp.com/portal/site/SCMP/
I have just had two excruciating overnight flights to and from Australia with Cathay Pacific on their Airbus A33B, experiencing for the first time their new seat design in economy.
In solving a minor problem of occasional disturbance for passengers from reclining seats in the row in front, they have created a far greater discomfort from their own seats for long-haul passengers.
The new seats do not recline in the traditional way. Instead, they slide down within their rigid shell.
This results in tall people, such as myself, being jammed into the seat frame in front and in only the shortest passenger being able to recline their heads at all.
For most passengers, reclining the seat results in bending their neck most uncomfortably.
For long-haul passengers, for whom catching some decent sleep is the greatest priority, the result is a large-scale disaster.
I find it hard to believe that Cathay actually tested these seats with long-haul passengers, as no one could possibly have endorsed this design.
I sincerely hope that there are no plans by Cathay, or any other airline, to extend this seat design to other long-haul routes............
Mid-Levels

Seats fine for the banana-shaped as quoted in the SCMP Updated on Jul 31, 2009
As a diamond card member of Cathay Pacific, I am a frequent flyer with the airline and I only fly economy.
And as a loyal customer I have to strongly disagree with the comments of Alex McGowan, of Cathay Pacific ("Passengers like Cathay seat", July 29), replying to Nigel B ("Cathay seat a disaster", July 24). Mr McGowan claims the new economy class seating meets customer expectations. It certainly does not. Unlike Mr B, who complained about the new seating because of his height, I am of average height.
The problems with the new seating were reconfirmed on a recent flight when I took an older plane to Kuala Lumpur. What a pleasure to sit in thicker foamed and more ergonomically comfortable reclining seats, rather than the sliding version now offered by Cathay. I cannot believe I would ever say this, but it is a pleasure flying Cathay's One World partner American Airlines now, just to get some decent, basic seating.
The new Cathay economy class seats are banana-shaped. They slide, pushing legs against the seat in front as one struggles for a modicum of back comfort. The seat angle makes it nearly impossible to achieve any long-lasting rest, unless one has a spine shaped like a banana.
Mr McGowan quotes in-flight surveys as proof that the new seats are satisfying customers.
If one looks at what is not said it would appear that one third of passengers actually rate the seats as neither "excellent" nor "very good". I would love to see the results from long-haul flights and frequent travellers. I am sure the results would show much higher levels of dissatisfaction than those from the infrequent or short-haul traveller. I am sorry, Cathay, you used to be, without question, one of the best airlines in the world, but not now.
As one of the original flying "road warriors", let me make it clear: you have a major design problem with those new seats..........
Pok Fu Lam
Airlines ignore tall passengers: SCMP
Alex McGowan, of Cathay Pacific ("Passengers like Cathay seats", July 29) replying to Nigel B ("Cathay seat a disaster", July 24), missed the point entirely.
Mr McGowan said in-flight surveys showed two-thirds rating the seat "either excellent or very good".
Mr B complained the seat was unsuitable for tall people.
Citing passenger feedback is meaningless given that most Cathay passengers are well under 1.8 metres. Airlines are notorious for ignoring the needs of people like Mr B and me at 1.9 metres. Were that not the case, you would never see tiny grandmothers in the exit row....
Tai Po
Passengers like Cathay's seat as quoted in the SCMP Updated on Jul 29, 2009
In response to Nigel B, I would like to point out that overall passenger reaction to our new long-haul economy class seat has been somewhat different to the one he described ("Cathay seat a disaster", July 24).
Our in-flight survey results are very encouraging, with a fifth of the passengers rating the seat excellent and nearly two-thirds rating it either excellent or very good.
The surveys show that our customers value the fact that the seat reclines within a fixed back shell, meaning that the passenger in front will never intrude into their space.
The addition of video-on- demand entertainment, with up to 100 movies and 350 TV programmes, as part of the product has also been warmly welcomed.
Cathay Pacific is the only airline to offer this type of seat in economy, although at least one carrier uses it in a premium economy cabin.
We are constantly looking for ways we can further improve our products and services, and so we will certainly assess what more can be done to enhance the comfort and quality of our seating.....
Alex McGowan, manager product, Cathay Pacific Airways

Last edited by Marco Polo; Aug 6, 2009 at 6:08 am Reason: Clearer definition from source
Old Jul 30, 2009, 11:07 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
nearly two-thirds rating it either excellent or very good.
on the other hand, this means at least one-third of the passengers rate the seats average or do not like them at all
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:36 am

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by kirintea
on the other hand, this means at least one-third of the passengers rate the seats average or do not like them at all
So? Is average that bad? What is the rating for the seats in First Class and Business Class? No one is ever going to be able to please 100% of the people 100% of the time. There are complaints for all airlines and all seating classes.

But, remember, it is economy - everything is going to be a compromise: seat, food, entertainment, service, etc.

You can put me in the "I like the new Y" box. I am a CX Gold, 6ft and fly long haul and short haul (all booked in economy) and I prefer the new seats to the old.

The latest interation (I think) with the magazine holder in front of you under the tray is great, leaving the legspace (on the 747) very open infront and behind your seat. I can sleep in them just as easily as the old style. I like the headrest. I much prefer eating my meals and reading with the new seat also.

But, it is personal opinion of course. I can, perhaps, see why people may not like the new seat, but I just don't think it warrants a letter to the local tabloid.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:43 am
yiu

Programs: MPC Silver
I am sick of all the CX bashing lately as well. People complain about everything. They complain about the old seats due to lack of space and now complain about the new seats about comfort, but at the same the the new seat achieves the space problem previously encountered.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:51 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
I belong to the "I love the new Economy" group as well. Actually I belong to this group so much that I specifically chose CX over the more direct flights and specifically made sure that I will be flying via routes where the new Economy is in place.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 3:25 am

Programs: CX Silver, QFF Bronze, Mabuhay Miles
Originally Posted by Marco Polo
Cathay seat 'a disaster' SCMP Updated on Jul 24, 2009
I have just had two excruciating overnight flights to and from Australia with Cathay Pacific on their Airbus A33B, experiencing for the first time their new seat design in economy.
In solving a minor problem of occasional disturbance for passengers from reclining seats in the row in front, they have created a far greater discomfort from their own seats for long-haul passengers.
The new seats do not recline in the traditional way. Instead, they slide down within their rigid shell.
This results in tall people, such as myself, being jammed into the seat frame in front and in only the shortest passenger being able to recline their heads at all.
For most passengers, reclining the seat results in bending their neck most uncomfortably.
For long-haul passengers, for whom catching some decent sleep is the greatest priority, the result is a large-scale disaster.
I find it hard to believe that Cathay actually tested these seats with long-haul passengers, as no one could possibly have endorsed this design.
I sincerely hope that there are no plans by Cathay, or any other airline, to extend this seat design to other long-haul routes.
Mid-Levels
I have no problem with people complaining, but they should keep their complaints to the point and only complain on behalf of themselves.

I object to the way "Mid-Levels" has worded this letter. He/She seems to want to speak for everyone. Of the eight sentences, five are subjective opinions that they want to claim as fact. A breakdown of the sentences shows the following:
1st - the complaint, which is fair enough
2nd - "minor" and "occassional" for who?
3rd - fact, (or close enough to it) ok
4th - "shortest passengers" - not only does this person want to speak for all tall people, now this person speaks for short people?
Fifth - "most"? by whose account?
Sixth - "greatest priority"? by whose account?
Seventh - "no one could..." Because they would agree with you?
8th - Ok, now a personal opinion.

So, the complaint really could have been just three simple sentences. Instead, it seems they just want to stand on the soap box and have a whinge. If you have a complaint, own the complaint, make it relevant and talk about your experience. Please don't claim to speak for the rest of the population or talk about anecdotal evidence.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by miikka
I belong to the "I love the new Economy" group as well. Actually I belong to this group so much that I specifically chose CX over the more direct flights and specifically made sure that I will be flying via routes where the new Economy is in place.
I have only tried the new Economy seat in bulkhead row but at least there it feels quite ok.

For me, I booked a CX/KA combo quite accidentally some years ago and was converted into the fan club more or less instantly. Then they status matched me and there is no looking back now.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:30 am

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
I have no problem with him complaining, it's his experience and thus his perception.

That said I think the new seats are an improvement. If I'm traveling in Y, I normally grab the emergency exit. Over the past two weeks I have had four long haul in J and 2 in the new Y seats. I'm 6 foot 3 and managed to get between 6 and 8 hours sleep each time on the Sydney route, which is not bad. The seats are far more comfortable on the 'lower regions'. I used to wake up a lot more often with the old seats. That and being able to lower the seat without annoying anyone and the adjustable head rests make them pretty good.

Oh, and getting rid of the entertainment units on the floor is even better.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
As with mosburger, I've only had the new seat in an exit row, and I was perfectly happy with it. At 6'3" and big I'm never going to be very comfortable in an economy seat but the new one is certainly no worse than the last for me. As a seat for short flights (i.e. sitting upright reading, eating or working) then I prefer an exit seat in new Y to the new long haul J.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 5:01 am

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
At anytime I would prefer the new Y seats over the older version. I especially like that the passengers in the front won't recline into me. I have been on the new Y seats for several times and I find that the sliding back works well. I never encountered the back problem as some boardmates had experienced. The legroom has also increased over the older version.

For the J I have mixed opinion though. The lie flat and AVOD are better than the old version, but I do think the layout is a bit cramped. Other airlines with the herringbone design have a better balance between privacy and space.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 5:21 am
Suspended

I only ever fly business class and either get the old style that does not recline very weel and have switcehd to BA all my European flights even thought this incurrs much higher fees for flying through London. The New style biz class is too small and feels like a coffin, plus they spent way to long trying to fix the in seat power, they have lost a lot of business from me and I know I am not alone so the overall revenue loss must be huge
Old Jul 31, 2009, 9:35 am

Programs: Marco Polo, MileagePlus
Nothing much to add here really, other then I really don't see how "some people" can complain so much about these seats and CX in general. Enough is enough, and I think that "these people" will never ever be happy about anything that an airline tries to improve itself with.

I'm 187cm (6.1), and I don't have any problems what so ever with these newish economy seats. In fact I find them quite comfy (that being when I'm in Y). Last longhal I did, I slept more then usual, both on the way to FRA and back to HKG. Hopefully it will be the same in Sept. when I'm of to LHR.

Anyhow, I take these new CX seats before what other airlines have to offer, any day of the week.

Cheers,
Joe
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:58 am

Programs: AY Platinum,Marriott Gold,HH Diamond,Sixt Platinum,Hertz PC,AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by dm101
Anyhow, I take these new CX seats before what other airlines have to offer, any day of the week.
I can admit that I have publicly stated that I will take CX New Economy instead of AY Business class after my first CX New Economy flight. The experience was THAT good. Call me crazy, I know I am. I am going to fly with CX again in one week (and in New Economy) and looking forward for it again (after flying so much, is it illegal to be so excited about the flight?).
Old Jul 31, 2009, 1:44 pm

One more ^ for the new CX economy seats. Recently did SFO-HKG and found these seats to be much better than the old one. I guess the biggest positive was someone not reclining into my space.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 2:24 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 100K, IHG Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sfducati
One more ^ for the new CX economy seats. Recently did SFO-HKG and found these seats to be much better than the old one. I guess the biggest positive was someone not reclining into my space.
Another +1. Just did my first long-haul with CX, LAX-HKG-SFO in Y on the 744s, and it was totally fine. Somehow I felt the underseat area was even more spacious than others, giving me more space to stretch my legs. I also don't have to worry about the passenger in the front reclining, squeezing my legs, slapping the TV screen on my face, or shutting close my laptop. I simply enjoyed it! Speaking of my own experience, that was my first time feeling the 13-14 hours gone by too quickly.

Considering both the excellent hard and soft products CX provides, I don't feel the need to compare CX with AA. I just look forward to my next SFO-HKG-SFO with CX in November. Am I already addicted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.