Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

What are my real luggage or baggage limits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are my real luggage or baggage limits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2009, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Question What are my real luggage or baggage limits

I'm traveling TPE-HKG as part of a One World ticket, all in business class. Been loaded up with a bunch of stuff here in Taipei and all of a sudden I've got to pay attention to the luggage limits.

After consulting Cathay's website, calling them up, and calling AA, so far I've got 3 different stories on what my luggage limits are going to be:

For checked baggage:
1. 50 pounds each piece, two total pieces (AA story).
2. Cathay by telephone says two pieces, 23 kilos each.
3. Cathay online says all checked baggage is limited to a max. combined weight of 30 kg (I guess that is the combined weight of two pieces?)

For carry on baggage:
1. AA says the same as in the US.
2. Cathay online says a total weight of 10 kg (22 lbs) - let's see, with the weight of my roller itself, my laptop, and my medical equipment, that's already about 10 kilos with NOTHING else. (and the limit is even less for economy class).
3. Another thread in this forum says they rarely if ever enforce either of these cabin baggage limits.

Can someone enlighten me as to what the real limits are likely to be for me?

With the almost punitive excess baggage charges many airlines are enforcing these days it is important to understand what limits will actually be enforced.

Also, I will be traveling without frequent flyer status on Cathay or any other One World airline.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX DM, PPS LIFE, IC RA, SPG GD
Smile

Just follow the restriction that you read online.
That's what I always do. Since your ticket body was only TPEHKG, you only able to check in one luggage and not more than 30 kgs for business class.
Except if you fly out from TPE to North America via HKG (the same day flight), you'll be able to check in 2 luggages each 32kgs.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CCAYICC
Just follow the restriction that you read online.
That's what I always do. Since your ticket body was only TPEHKG, you only able to check in one luggage and not more than 30 kgs for business class.
Except if you fly out from TPE to North America via HKG (the same day flight), you'll be able to check in 2 luggages each 32kgs.
Thanks for the helpful advice!

Are you sure it is only 1 checked baggage allowed? That totally changes the way I have to pack if so. The website seems to be silent on this topic. And they don't seem to have the amount of the excess baggage charges listed anywhere, which is bad form.

Also, does the duration of my stay in Hong Kong make any difference? (This is part of a One World ticket that gets me back to the US eventually.)

In any case, if necessary, I will be prepared to have some items taken out to be shipped (which will be significantly cheaper I think than paying the airline).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:35 am

Programs: CX Diamond
if your ticket weight limit says PC then it's 2 bags of 23. if your tkt says 20K then ur allow that plus what ever extra you get from your status....

If your ticket being a OW ticket, is the same ticket number (or connecting ticket) as used for your U.S. sector, you are allow 2x23 bags......on the TPE-HKG sector.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:42 am

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by GrizShel

Are you sure it is only 1 checked baggage allowed? That totally changes the way I have to pack if so. The website seems to be silent on this topic. And they don't seem to have the amount of the excess baggage charges listed anywhere, which is bad form.

Also, does the duration of my stay in Hong Kong make any difference? (This is part of a One World ticket that gets me back to the US eventually.)

In any case, if necessary, I will be prepared to have some items taken out to be shipped (which will be significantly cheaper I think than paying the airline).

unless you have, say, 70kg+ of stuff total, or more than two check in bags, I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

In 8 years or so I have never had my carry-ons weighed (or challenged) when flying in J or F.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 12:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, CX DM, PPS LIFE, IC RA, SPG GD
Originally Posted by GrizShel

I suggest you to call CX again and explain to them about your ticket condition and also mention to them regarding you have stop over in HKG.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CXDM
if your ticket weight limit says PC then it's 2 bags of 23. if your tkt says 20K then ur allow that plus what ever extra you get from your status....

If your ticket being a OW ticket, is the same ticket number (or connecting ticket) as used for your U.S. sector, you are allow 2x23 bags......on the TPE-HKG sector.
As far as I can tell I have one ticket number all of the way through even though traveling on 3 different airlines. I don't know how to view the rules, etc. for my e-ticket. Makes it kind of hard to dispute with the check-in agent if they happen to get it wrong and try to apply the wrong limits. The website for Cathay seems to be lacking a lot of details, and this is one of them (or I just can't find the language regarding rules pertaining to flying on a OW ticket).
Old Jul 7, 2009, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Forget what you read... online or AA.

You have a RTW ticket. The piece concept applies - according to the airline carrying you. Not who issued the ticket.

If you're flying on CX, then its the piece concept for CX. 2 pieces , 23kg each.
If you're flying on AA, then its 2 pieces, 50lbs each.

If you're flying on BA, then its 3 pieces, 23kg each.

For 'proof' you need to consult each airlines' website, under PIECE concept which applies once your travel includes the US/Canada on your ticket.

Hand luggage however will be independent from each city you're checking in from and does not follow a 'general' rule.
Old Jul 7, 2009, 1:48 pm

Guy Betsy is correct.
The type of the ticket determines if you are on the piece concept or the weight concept. This is what you need to find out first. RTWs and tickets between Asia and Europe or North America and Europe usually are piece concept, tickets between Europe and Asia or inside Asia or inside Europe are weight concept. This is also true for all connecting flights and additional flights with stopover etc within the same ticket (not! within the same booking).

The weight concept is easy. Economy tickets usually have a 20 kg, business 30 kg and First 40 kg limit.

The piece concept depends on the airline operating the sector. Some have 32 kg (= 75 pounds for countries which still hold on to this non metric systems), some have 23 kg = 50 pounds for all classes, some have 32 kg for premium classes and passengers with status and 23kg for everybody else, some have 32 kg for international itineraries. You need to check the website of each airlines where you plan to check bags.

The cathay website is pretty clear. Piece concept on an international itinary in business class should be 2 pieces 32 kg each. This is what i allways got with F RTW tickets, even on flights between Europe and HKG.
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_...ggageallowance
Old Jul 8, 2009, 8:05 am
Suspended

NOt sure how experienced you lot are but the OP clearly states he is in Biz class and I do this monthly connecting to BA in business class and take 3 pc up to 23 kg each, when I did my last trip to LAX it was all on CX in biz and I also checked in 3 pc no problem
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
About the same questions.
I will buy a ticket ORD-NRT-TPE, HKG-NRT-ORD.
I will use 15K AA miles for TPE-HKG one way. And I will stay in HKG for 3 days.
All in Y.
From reading the web site, My luggage allowance is 20kgs since I don't have a the trip in one PNR. Is this right? Is there a way to get around?

Thanks

yuchung5
Old Jul 23, 2009, 11:25 am
Suspended

cathay is normally lenient with hand baggage for business class but please bear in mind if you carry the roller on, make sure you note the equipment used and whether the bins can take the bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.