Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

CX F SFO to HKG. Thoughts. Best in the world. IMHO

Old Feb 25, 2009, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

In HKG at the F Wing in a Cabana. Thoughts on flight and service.

Check-in at SFO. Very inefficient. There was no waiting at the F line but for whatever reason a gentleman from the C counter montioned me over. Have no idea what the F agent was doing. I confirmed seats as asked about Lounge access. At that time the agent printed the lounge passes. Wanted a print-out of the itin so I would not be presenting always big papers. He could not do but said he would asked. Did not proceed.

Screening at SFO. No priority lane and CLEAR was already closed.

Lounge at SFO. CX uses the BA Terraces Lounges. The F Lounge was a set of double doors off the hall. CX does not monitor use so one would think the flight was packed in F. As it was only three F seats were occupied. There was one guy coming in and out from the C Lounge for champagne.

Boarding at SFO. Was somewhat orderly but you have to wonder.

The Flight. This makes you forget everything else. As stated only three passengers including me. I will not go into details because that is available herein within FT. The first thing I noticed was the seating. With only 9 total seats it feels pretty private. The angles of the cabin make it private. Done the EK and SQ private suites and this was much better. I think it is the best mainline F cabin in the skys. I much prefer it over the mentioned EK and SQ along with all the other especially the UA new suite. The FAs introduced themselves and were great the whole flight. Given a changing suit which I selected S for my wife. Also opted for the ladies F amenity kit by Ipa-Nima. The mesh colors of the kit and the interior pouch look great. That is in total contrast to the men kit which has a Victronix label on the outside. The AVOD was excellent with much more content and easy to navigate. The swing out screen made for a real viewing pleasure. The two lavs in F were huge. Among the largest in the air. I can not say many other wonderful things about this plane. Fortunately I will take the exact same plane in a bit. Will return to the US aboard the same type of plane.

The WING. I made it over to the wing which is right by my next gate. The only thing I miss is the frig that was in the Cabana. Could you a bottle of nice cold water. I will have to find one on the way out along with some papers.

In closing. CX has done a great job with their F product given the confines of the 747. It is very comfortable and feels private even without the doors. The service onboard was excellent and I can not wait for my wife to see her new F amenity kit. At this point I much prefer to fly CX like this over SQ into SE Asia. Getting to where I need to be this afternoon is a little work and I would probably not follow this routing again. But for SE Asia it is great. Regards from the Wing.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

It's good to see a fresh report on CX F. And it makes me itchy to fly CX again. I'm glad that in the air, the most important part of the flight, the product excelled.

Re the lounge, remember that all top tier OneWorld flyers get to use the F lounge, even if flying coach. That might explain why it was crowded.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Great that you enjoyed your flight.

The check-in in SFO is indeed a little strange. There can be a longer line in F than in J. The F counter may process the J passengers and vice versa. The problem is that there is only one F check-in counter.

For the BA Terrace in SFO, I think those in there were entitled to the F lounge accesses. There are normally one or two DMs and many more EXPs on this flight. They can all get into the F lounge. DMs can bring in two guests and EXP can bring in one. People do get in and out because it is a lot more spacious outside with a few internet stations (compared to one in the F room). In addition, the bathroom is outside.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
Posted a trip report over in that forum, but agree that it's a great experience. My wife, I and our 4-month old were the only ones in the F cabin going HKG-SFO last week. Could not have asked for a better experience.

Liked the 74A more than the 77A, for the spacious feel and more private cabin. As others have stated, there is far more traffic from FAs on the 77A due to galley locations. But it's far from an "unbearable" experience, and we enjoyed the JFK-HKG trip a lot as well. The lav is quite nice on the 74A as well, and for us, made changing the baby a bit easier.

We only tried the F section of the Pier, which was fine. Didn't care for the J section of the Wing - crowded, loud and poorly laid out, IMO.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
SanDiego1k. Know you want to ask.

The ladies amenity kit is a lime bright soothing green. Not so green with a outside draw string mesh cover. It has the Ipa-Nima logo on cloth affixed to the outside. The interior holds a clutch with a zipper top. The outside has a leaf pattern with beads on one side. Inside- toothbrush with colgate toothpaste and mouth wash, ear plugs, wood hair brush with plastic brushes (Cathy Pacific on handle), make-up remover pads, Aesop oil free facial hydrating serum, parsley seed anti-oxidant facial toner, resurrection aromatique hand balm, camellia nut facial hydrating cream, booklets from Aesop and Ipa-Nima with the later offering a free gift. Also note the clutch looks to be silk lined with pouches inside. Ipa-Nima logo inside. Probably the nicest kit (aka also fun) ever received.

The service from HKG to NRT was good. Only one extra seat left on this sector in F. Of course no amenity kit. I will enjoy the ride back. Regards from the GHT.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
I'm excited to hear that they are distributing the new Aesop amenity kits already... the info here wasn't very clear about when that would happen (it mentioned April for the male kits). I've got YYZ-HKG in F next week... getting very excited!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Nice review/post. But I'm curious: Why do you prefer CX F to the SQ and EK F suites?
Old Feb 26, 2009, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

More detail on amenity kit for men.

I did not want to post this and possibly distribute bad information. But I was told because I made a comment that the men's kit was just not exciting that a new kit was coming branded with the FA thought Bally. But I am not sure and she was not 100% on the brand name. But something new is coming. Does that make sense?

EK F suite. Now I have not done this on the A380 but the A340. The suite is nice and it is private. Much more private than the SQ A380 suite. But the service and food on EK is just nothing compared to CX and SQ let alone NH and JL. EK has hard product but short on style IMHO.

SQ F suite on A380. I flew this sector SIN to NRT and am on record for not being impressed. SQ could have done much more being the launch airline for the A380. In short I thought the cabin lacked style and warmth. On the other hand as stated given the confines of the 747 CX took what they had to work with and made a beautiful cabin with angles, lines and curves which make you feel very comfortable and private. I thought about my comments on the way from HKG to NRT and they are well deserved. CX has always had great service but now they have a great cabin to go along with it. It is just good and I was pleasantly surprised.

The ladies amenity kit is just cool. Looking at it they went beyond tradition and the colors are bold compared to anything out there. As stated it is fun as I look around the room and my wife has her LH F, JL F, UA F and TG C amenity kit pouches she uses to store things. That kit is going to be popular.

More on the return if necessary. Maybe I will see that men's kit. Regards
Old Feb 26, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I did not want to post this and possibly distribute bad information. But I was told because I made a comment that the men's kit was just not exciting that a new kit was coming branded with the FA thought Bally.
I think Bally is what the website says as well.

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
On the other hand as stated given the confines of the 747 CX took what they had to work with and made a beautiful cabin with angles, lines and curves which make you feel very comfortable and private.
Agree with you here. Really a nicely designed cabin and a very good seat.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by ylwae
I think Bally is what the website says as well.
There's a thread on this forum that introduces the new amenity kits in F and J coming out later this year. You can check it out for more info!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Ipa-Nima gift with F Amenity Kit.

In the bag you will find two pieces of paper. One is from Ipa-Nima. They offer a free gift of a key chain while stock lasts. You must respond via e-mail and provide a scan copy of your F boarding pass. See the offer at www.ipa-nima.com under Cathay Pacific First Class Amenity Bag. They send to you. Enjoy!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 8:40 pm

Programs: AC.SE
Originally Posted by b-kpf
There's a thread on this forum that introduces the new amenity kits in F and J coming out later this year. You can check it out for more info!
Thank you!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Ipa-Nima is quick. I received a e-mail back confirming my request and that the item may be shipped out of LA otherwise possibly HK.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:51 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum 1MM, AC SE*100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the report.. I too love the CX F suite, and think it is the best in the air right now!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

NRT to HKG Lounge access at NRT F.

Checked in for flight and asked about the CX Lounge at NRT. Sounds like a shared Lounge with C. Looking at the info board noted that the JL F Lounge was on the 3rd floor and CX is on 4th. So gave the JL Lounge a shot and was able to use their F Lounge. I do not fly OW that much intl and only have AA lifetime P status so was not sure. Just a FYI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.