Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discuss your meal options here

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2013, 7:39 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I understand that CX has rice cookers aboard.

Accordingly I was wondering if steamed rice always available in longhaul F? That is to say, if the menu says "egg fried rice" can you have plain steamed rice instead?

Just curious! Many thanks in advance. Checked the catering FAQ but did not see an answer.

For long haul def yes! As they usually serve the Chinese option with steamed rice. They also have skillets as well for freshly made eggs
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by 747867
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is the status with Cathay Delight these days? Is it served on every flight? Alternating months? Only in the lounges in HKG?
cathay delight and pacific sunrise are served on board in even months.
Cathay Delight was quite good.

I was confused by the Pacific Sunrise...had an odd taste. The bubbles were quite fun however.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I understand that CX has rice cookers aboard.

Accordingly I was wondering if steamed rice always available in longhaul F? That is to say, if the menu says "egg fried rice" can you have plain steamed rice instead?
Originally Posted by mayodave
On long haul yes. I have actually enjoyed a multi cultural cooking session of fried rice (for the crew) using the F kitchen and what a debate we all had about what makes the best fried rice, we all threw in what we thought was good and had a great laugh in the process and some great fried rice
Yes, steamed rice is always available in CX LH F. If you're not eating during the regular meal service, it will take them ~20 minutes or so to prepare a new batch of rice using the onboard rice cooker.

Don't count on that "multi cultural cooking session of fried rice (for the crew) using the F kitchen" happening in the future. Or in the past.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:27 pm
Suspended

Anyone travelled to DXB lately?
For the overnight flight in both directions what do they serve. Is it Dinner and Breakfast or they skip breakfast?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:29 am

For HKG to DXB and DXB to HKG flights, there are always two meals. Daytime will get a hot meal after takeoff and a refreshment prior to landing (similar to Australia to HKG daytime flights - some noodles or pasta dishes with fruit bowl). For overnight flight, it is always a hot dinner/supper (if late) after takeoff and a CONTINENTAL breakfast prior to landing (no warm entree).

Carfield
Old Sep 28, 2013, 12:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Carfield
For HKG to DXB and DXB to HKG flights, there are always two meals. Daytime will get a hot meal after takeoff and a refreshment prior to landing (similar to Australia to HKG daytime flights - some noodles or pasta dishes with fruit bowl). For overnight flight, it is always a hot dinner/supper (if late) after takeoff and a CONTINENTAL breakfast prior to landing (no warm entree).

Carfield
Thanks
Do they have a snack option as well?
Old Sep 28, 2013, 4:28 pm

No they don't have any snack options on medium haul flights.
Only the long haul flights to Europe/USA/New Zealand/some late night flights to Australia feature this snack option.

DXB is only seven to eight hours long, so no snack options... just the typical one hot meal and one light meal.

Carfield
Old Oct 5, 2013, 1:17 am
Suspended

No they don't have any snack options on medium haul flights.
Only the long haul flights to Europe/USA/New Zealand/some late night flights to Australia feature this snack option.

DXB is only seven to eight hours long, so no snack options... just the typical one hot meal and one light meal.

Carfield
Sorry but you are completely wrong. The Overnight DXB serves the following in J class
Supper with 2 main course -( hate using the stupid American entree term).
Cheese
Dessert

Or you can select the late light option with soup and a Middle East platter with chicken kebab hummus and pita bread and dessert.

This option doubles as a snack item and u can order it anytime

Breakfast is 2 HOT options
Chinese dim sum with no pork

Egg dish with veal sausages

Fruit

Yogurt

Bakery basket

They actually served me the full breakfast 40 minutes before landing.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:18 am

Correctioncx... I am glad that CX has changed its menu and sorry that I have not provided you with the most updated information. But I don't work for CX or any airline, and all my informations come from other people's contribution. It will be nice if you can post your menu in the CX J Menus 2013 thread, so everyone will know about the updates in the future. CX will change its menus to reflect the demands from passengers. CX seems to be adopting the same style of service on Middle East flights as their Australian flights. Maybe the competitions are getting fierce.

I also want to take the chance to remind everyone that I have no connections to CX and cannot guarantee that all my information is up to date. I only rely on past menus, and sometimes I can't help to feel a bit under-appreciated based on the tones of some of the responses here towards me and other FT talkers. The tone of the messages can be a bit friendlier. Most of us really don't work for CX and we only try our best to answer your questions based on our experiences.

The menu threads really need your contribution.

Thanks,
Carfield

Last edited by Carfield; Oct 7, 2013 at 6:30 am
Old Oct 7, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, MPO Gold, Presidents Choice Gourmet Coffee, Flying Blue, Flying Club
Originally Posted by mayodave
...what a debate we all had about what makes the best fried rice, we all threw in what we thought was good and had a great laugh in the process and some great fried rice
The right answer is rice in wok first, then the egg.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:46 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Thumbs up Carfield, You are Awesome.

Correctioncx... I am glad that CX has changed its menu and sorry that I have not provided you with the most updated information. But I don't work for CX or any airline, and all my informations come from other people's contribution. It will be nice if you can post your menu in the CX J Menus 2013 thread, so everyone will know about the updates in the future. CX will change its menus to reflect the demands from passengers. CX seems to be adopting the same style of service on Middle East flights as their Australian flights. Maybe the competitions are getting fierce.

I also want to take the chance to remind everyone that I have no connections to CX and cannot guarantee that all my information is up to date. I only rely on past menus, and sometimes I can't help to feel a bit under-appreciated based on the tones of some of the responses here towards me and other FT talkers. The tone of the messages can be a bit friendlier. Most of us really don't work for CX and we only try our best to answer your questions based on our experiences.

The menu threads really need your contribution.

Thanks,
Carfield
As near as I can tell, you do the yeoman's work when it comes to all things menu, and have been doing so for years; I for one appreciate your hard work. And obviously, you're not on every CX flight in every cabin in every direction every month, so you rely very heavily on the information that others provide; the fact that someone asks a question and you answer them based on your depth of knowledge/research is awesome. Asking questions and providing answers are largely why most of us are on FT.

Over the years the decrease in civility and increase in coarseness on FT have become quite pronounced, seemingly as the member community has gotten larger and larger, but many members of varying tenure seem to have fallen into this unfortunate habit. If I could make people treat others civilly I would, but if I had that kind of control over others I likely wouldn't be spending any time on FT. Try and not let it get to you, and remember that you're very much appreciated on FT.

tl;dr - You're awesome, haters gonna hate, and you're awesome.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
I'll be flying JFK-HKG in F in December and I am debating an AVML special meal. I've seen pictures of a couple menus and have always seen a vegetarian option listed. Is there a vegetarian option on all long-haul flights?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 4:44 pm

Location: California, USA / Tokyo, Japan / Manila, Philippines
Programs: AA / CX MPO AM / Hyatt Discoverist / Marriott Platinum / Shangri-La
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
As near as I can tell, you do the yeoman's work when it comes to all things menu, and have been doing so for years; I for one appreciate your hard work. And obviously, you're not on every CX flight in every cabin in every direction every month, so you rely very heavily on the information that others provide; the fact that someone asks a question and you answer them based on your depth of knowledge/research is awesome. Asking questions and providing answers are largely why most of us are on FT.

Over the years the decrease in civility and increase in coarseness on FT have become quite pronounced, seemingly as the member community has gotten larger and larger, but many members of varying tenure seem to have fallen into this unfortunate habit. If I could make people treat others civilly I would, but if I had that kind of control over others I likely wouldn't be spending any time on FT. Try and not let it get to you, and remember that you're very much appreciated on FT.

tl;dr - You're awesome, haters gonna hate, and you're awesome.
+1
Old Oct 20, 2013, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by merc1234
I'll be flying JFK-HKG in F in December and I am debating an AVML special meal. I've seen pictures of a couple menus and have always seen a vegetarian option listed. Is there a vegetarian option on all long-haul flights?
Yes there is always a vegetarian option on F and J meal services on long haul flights. They are always the pasta option. If you don't eat carbs, you might want to order a special meal even in F or J. I believe that there is always a meal or seafood component to the salad, but they are loaded separately. They can always serve you a plain salad. The soups really vary from month to month, so it is hard to tell. Cheese/Dessert should be fine unless you don't eat dairy. The light snack options might be limiting, but for the noodle dishes, the meat/seafood/dumplings are loaded on a separate container, but the broth is often chicken or pork flavored. Breakfast is a bit easier and the eggs are freshly prepared, and the side meats and vegetables are loaded on a separate container. However I definitely recommend ordering an AVML meal, especially you are very strict with your diet. Plus in F, you can always order items in the menu if you want it. They always load extra dishes, and I have a feeling that pasta is not a particularly popular dishes, especially CX really does not have a huge variety of pasta dishes. They always serve the agnolotti. They always load one soup or salad per passenger, so no worries.

I hope it helps!

Carfield
Old Oct 20, 2013, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Plus in F, you can always order items in the menu if you want it.
I'm pretty sure that you can ask for a J menu and order items off that, too. Some may be the same (or similar), but I would imagine that they would be plated in F style.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.