Discuss your meal options here

Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by conde
True, I'm sure there will likely one entree from the main menu that seems appetizing. I am not bent on having food that is kosher or halal; just no swine. I would be open to trying other special menu types as well. However reading from listed menus, bacon in corn chowder, ham in salad, anyone's guess to how the dim sum is prepared... I thought that maybe an alternative menu might seem more appealing to my tastes. I have never ordered a special meal for a flight before. I have not tried the food in Cathay Pacific's F cabin before, however I thought the food in J was underwhelming. In all likelihood, I will probably not order a special meal, but would like to consider alternate options.
Pork is very popular in Asia (*), and ordering a kosher or halal meal is the only reliable way to ensure that you have no pork. You can't reasonably say "I don't want a salt-free/gluten-free/low-fat special meal but I want salt-free /gluten-free/low-fat items from the regular menu", etc. That's what the special meals are for.

Since you said you will mix meat and milk products, a halal special meal would be a better fit.

(*) and elsewhere...I once had an excellent pork chop in the city of Tiberias.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, CX Dia, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Dia
F class food getting even better??

I have to say it has been over 1 year since my last flight from JFK-HKG in F and I always found the food to be good to very good, but this last trip 2 weeks ago both ways the food was simply great! I have always said to myself do not order steak on a plane because all past experiences on all airlines is that you receive a medium well done tough piece of meat (including my past experiences in F on CX). I was shocked on both ways the flight attendant asked how I wanted my meat cooked. I thought that is just for show but I asked for medium rare and sure enough it came so close to that. The meat was also so tender and flavorful and I am a foodie and have eaten at many of the top steakhouses and truly the New York strip steak (HKG-JFK) rivaled that which I have eaten in the top places. I am truly amazed how this could be and how they did it but truly an amazing experience with top notch service as always. Unfortunately my next trip on this route will be on UA, back to reality.

Old Feb 19, 2013, 8:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by conde
True, I'm sure there will likely one entree from the main menu that seems appetizing. I am not bent on having food that is kosher or halal; just no swine. I would be open to trying other special menu types as well. However reading from listed menus, bacon in corn chowder, ham in salad, anyone's guess to how the dim sum is prepared... I thought that maybe an alternative menu might seem more appealing to my tastes. I have never ordered a special meal for a flight before. I have not tried the food in Cathay Pacific's F cabin before, however I thought the food in J was underwhelming. In all likelihood, I will probably not order a special meal, but would like to consider alternate options.
There are a few things
Caviar and balik salmon r served on all LONG HAUL segments so u can eat that
Salad they can get rid of pork products in it
There will always be a beef /steak almost all the time
The Chinese choice are mostly seafood based in f
Unfortunately dim sum almost will get some pork eg siu mai but they can serve the prawn dumpling or seafood dumpling of vege dumpling only
There should be snack items but don't get wonton r shui gau as they contain pork
Breakfast - u can get eggs make to order just skip the bacon and sausages
Desserts- well should be safe
There's always a vegetarian pasta dish as well
Really I think u r safe. But if u want u can order the special meal
Old Feb 19, 2013, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by correctioncx
There are a few things
Caviar and balik salmon r served on all LONG HAUL segments so u can eat that
Salad they can get rid of pork products in it
There will always be a beef /steak almost all the time
The Chinese choice are mostly seafood based in f
Unfortunately dim sum almost will get some pork eg siu mai but they can serve the prawn dumpling or seafood dumpling of vege dumpling only
There should be snack items but don't get wonton r shui gau as they contain pork
Breakfast - u can get eggs make to order just skip the bacon and sausages
Desserts- well should be safe
There's always a vegetarian pasta dish as well
Really I think u r safe. But if u want u can order the special meal
There's always the chance that deserts, for example, could contain gelatin which can be from pigs etc.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xenole
There's always the chance that deserts, for example, could contain gelatin which can be from pigs etc.
Or horse?

There is always ice cream
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by correctioncx
Or horse?

There is always ice cream
Ice cream can contain gelatin too.

More likely camel judging from my spelling of "dessert"
Although horse is and has been unknowingly on the menu over here for a while.....
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Glob AA Plat
Originally Posted by unfrequentflyer
I downed 2 bottles of Krug on my last CX flight
same here^
Old Feb 21, 2013, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by xenole
Ice cream can contain gelatin too.

More likely camel judging from my spelling of "dessert"
Although horse is and has been unknowingly on the menu over here for a while.....
Well if u ex Lhr then changes of horse content might be quite high?
Old May 24, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
CX 888 JFK-YVR First Class Meal

First time flying CX, by far it was the best meal in the sky I have ever had, and the best service (thanks, Carrie).

Old May 30, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Can anyone post F menus from BOM flights CX685 / CX684?

Thanks in advance! I will be soon taking what is likely to be my last ever F flight on a 744.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 1MM, DL Gold - 2MM, AA Plat - 2MM
Vegan Meal Service in F

I am flying CX from LAX to HKG in F in November.

I east mostly Vegan but I am not a fanatic about it. Has anyone every tried any of the Vegetarian meal choices? Is it good? Should I just stay with the regular F menu and eat the seafood?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:23 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by timbre
I am flying CX from LAX to HKG in F in November.

I east mostly Vegan but I am not a fanatic about it. Has anyone every tried any of the Vegetarian meal choices? Is it good? Should I just stay with the regular F menu and eat the seafood?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Based on my experience flying F to Europe/NA a handful of times, I'd say that the vegetarian pasta options can be hit and miss. They are usually never awful, rarely outstandingly good (ex-LHR comes to mind), but usually just mediocre.

Generally the pasta will have cheese, so that may not be considered vegan. However I know in F the meals are often loaded "unassembled" so you may be able to get pasta without cheese, though I'm not 100% sure about that.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 3:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by midlevels
Based on my experience flying F to Europe/NA a handful of times, I'd say that the vegetarian pasta options can be hit and miss. They are usually never awful, rarely outstandingly good (ex-LHR comes to mind), but usually just mediocre.

Generally the pasta will have cheese, so that may not be considered vegan. However I know in F the meals are often loaded "unassembled" so you may be able to get pasta without cheese, though I'm not 100% sure about that.
The sauce may contain cheese

I think it is safer to order the special meal if you really can't eat certain things. And if they have spares you can order from the normal menu.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 6:09 pm

you can also ask the crew if they can assemble a special vegetarian dish for you, which will be the vegetable sides from the other main courses on the menu but this will be dependent upon what is left.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
To digress from the kosher/halal/veg give-and-take (which I do find interesting), does anyone know what is served on CX 411 between ICN and HKG in J? It is a late afternoon departure, so I would suspect dinner. Just want to know how much I should eat in the CX Lounge before the flight.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.