Wiki Posts
Search

Discuss your meal options here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by Chincia
Hey Guys,

What sort of Snacks are served in Cx Y class?
For long haul, you can ask if there is cup noodles. I've heard BBQ pork buns were available a while back for long haul as well, but don't know if this is still the case. Otherwise, the snacks available for Y would be peanuts, biscuits, chocolate, etc.

Last edited by b-kpf; Mar 11, 2010 at 8:47 am Reason: missing a word in the sentence
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:03 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
In J they offer those useless 'apple crisps'. An abominable product.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
There's normally some fresh fruit in Y as well - apples or bananas.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by b-kpf
For long haul, you can ask if there is cup noodles. I've heard BBQ pork buns were available a while back for long haul as well, but don't know if this is still the case. Otherwise, the snacks available for Y would be peanuts, biscuits, chocolate, etc.

Omg, if there's bbq pork buns... I'll die! I'm crossing fingers they will have it.

But having Chocolate, biscuits, fruit, etc, a good variety for economy.

I haven't travelled since 2000, so Should be interesting to see how much has changed and travelling on a different airline.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by b-kpf
Does anyone know if they serve the full dinner meal right after departure on FLT 883 departing LAX to HKG at 11:50 pm?
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:21 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Flying CX 110 SYD-HKG, 07:35am departure. Anyone flown this recently in J? Do they have snacks / noodles apart from the 2 main meal services?

I've had differing service on this flight when I've flown it previously. There is always a meal service after take off, but then sometimes they've served a meal 3 hours later, and then nothing else for the rest of the flight, and no snacks at all. Then another time, there was just the usual meal after take off, then meal 2 hours before landing. I'm wondering whether I need to prepare and bring some food with me in case there are no decent snacks/refreshments onboard...and it's a travesty that I need to ask this when flying J class!
Old Mar 21, 2010, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Flying CX 110 SYD-HKG, 07:35am departure. Anyone flown this recently in J? Do they have snacks / noodles apart from the 2 main meal services?

I've had differing service on this flight when I've flown it previously. There is always a meal service after take off, but then sometimes they've served a meal 3 hours later, and then nothing else for the rest of the flight, and no snacks at all. Then another time, there was just the usual meal after take off, then meal 2 hours before landing. I'm wondering whether I need to prepare and bring some food with me in case there are no decent snacks/refreshments onboard...and it's a travesty that I need to ask this when flying J class!
It used to be meal on takeoff and then a meal closer to HK, 2 hours out as you say. They have brought the second meal earlier, which is much better. Snacks are 'piss-poor' apple chips, muesli bars, etc, noodles are on offer.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 12:54 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hau cheng
It used to be meal on takeoff and then a meal closer to HK, 2 hours out as you say. They have brought the second meal earlier, which is much better. Snacks are 'piss-poor' apple chips, muesli bars, etc, noodles are on offer.
So they definitely still have noodles as a snack? If they only have chips, nuts, chocolates and muesli bars as snacks, then I might need to pack something....
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
So they definitely still have noodles as a snack? If they only have chips, nuts, chocolates and muesli bars as snacks, then I might need to pack something....

Ok, I think I'll bring on some snacks just in case as well.

Is it safe to bring on board bottled water?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:40 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Chincia
Ok, I think I'll bring on some snacks just in case as well.

Is it safe to bring on board bottled water?
Leaving Australia there is no restriction on bringing water onboard if you buy it in the terminal. Heading towards Australia, they still have the stupid secondary check to stop you bringing water onboard.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by sxc
Im pretty sure, and better quality 'wonton mein' than your usual polystyrene packet noodles.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 3:54 am

Programs: CX DM, TG *G, HH DM
Special meal request: Fruit platter

Did anyone try the special meal "Fruit platter" on long-haul? I'm contemplating going for this when flying J-class on CX271, but if others have bad experiences along the lines of "one apple and a pear, with banana on the side" then it might not be worth it as I can get these on board already!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 6:29 pm

Discussion of CX 879 Menu

In response to sxc's comment on CX 879 SFO to HKG daytime J meals:
"I know we are not meant to discuss in this thread but since you brought it up...I think that the reason why they are serving mid-flight is that since this flight is nominally a "day flight" many people were probably getting hungry towards US dinner time. So I can kind of understand the timing of the meals in this case.

As for the meal quality, looking at the menu, I would have avoided the choices you made. Just the description can tell me that they would be cheap and oily meals. The good thing is that CX shows you all the meals - did the other ones not look any better or you only prefer to eat the asian meals?"

CX 879 Menu as reference
CX 879
San Francisco to Hong Kong
Business Class
February to April 2010
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...8QbNHDNy5bqQeI

Lunch
Starters
Seasonal mixed salad with Portobello mushrooms and sesame oriental dressing
Seared ahi tuna with shiso pesto

Main Courses
Grilled Beef Tenderloin with lemon thyme jus, red bliss potato parsnip puree, wax and green beans, roasted pepper and carrots
Or
Fried sea bass with sweet wine sauce, steamed Jasmine rice and stir-fried pak choy with carrots
Or
Braised chicken with dark soy sauce and basil, egg fried rice, kailan, mushrooms and carrots
Or
Linguini pasta with garlic basil oil, sun-dried tomato, asparagus and shiitake mushrooms

Cheese and Dessert
Cambozola, Cheddar, Munster Cheese
Fresh Seasonal Fruit
Marble Cheese Cake with berry compote
Tea and Coffee
Pralines

Snacks
Smoked chicken panini
Baked barbecued pork bun
Wonton with noodle in soup
Haagen-dazs Ice Cream

Dinner
Starter
Fresh Seasonal Fruit

Main Courses
Pan-roasted chicken breast with tomato basil sauce, pearl couscous, asparagus and baby carrots
Or
Stir-fried egg noodle with shredded pork and choy sum, chili sauce
Or
Crab cannelloini with red pepper coulis and sautéed spinach

Cheese and Dessert
Cambozola, Cheddar and Munster Cheese
Cherry Crumble with whipped cream
Tea and Coffee
Pralines
879-1126/1127/1128J <F~A/10>

My thought:
sxc... I of course understand why CX is trying to serve the meal mid-flight (and also to discourage people from ordering midflight snack...) as it is closer to dinner time in West Coast. However, I think the second meal service should coordinate towards local time and helps passengers to adjust to local time. Most passengers were deeply asleep as the light suddenly turned on. So in reality, the second meal service was pretty abrupt. It is more appropriate to do what they do in the past - just roll out the mid-flight snack cart or have the F/As do a snack order run. Then it will be more appropriate.

In terms of why I pick those meals, I am just not too much of a beef fillet fan and when I saw the entree selection, I stick with the safer choice. In hindsight, I should go with the cannelloni for dinner, but after looking at the amount of cheese and cream sauce, it was bit too heavy. I eat beef but just not a big fillet fan. Regardless, the quality of CX appetizers and salads is always good, but once it comes to those main courses, they were just poorly presented and simply not "business class quality", rather than a glorified economy class quality.

Carfield
Old Mar 24, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
A bit out of topic, I once saw a FA drop a bread roll on the floor inside the gallery; she simpy pick it up and put it back to the food cart to serve. I wonder this is an exceptional case
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sohoboy
A bit out of topic, I once saw a FA drop a bread roll on the floor inside the gallery; she simpy pick it up and put it back to the food cart to serve. I wonder this is an exceptional case
Omg! I would've freaked out if I saw that! That would've made me loose my appitide. I hope it was only an exception too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.