Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

HELP! upgrade to J or F on my last trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 1:49 pm
yiu
Original Poster

Programs: MPC Silver

Hi guys!

I need some suggestions from you experts.
Right now i have 54,341 Asia Miles left, and I have 5 more trips left (YYZ-HKG, HKG-YYZ, YYZ-HKG, HKG-YYZ, YYZ-HKG).

You need 45,000 to upgrade to J.
You need 60,000 to upgrade from J to F.

I've calculated that I will only have enough points for upgrade to J once and once as well in F.
In the end, if I upgrade to just J, I will have around 40,000miles left, and if upgrade to F, i will have around 30,000miles left. (im trying to upgrade on my 5th trip)

The question is, should I pay a bit more and pay for a J ticket to upgrade for F? Is it worth it? I'm those people where I don't enjoy redeeming electronic and hotel stayover on Asia Miles.

Thanks people!
Old Feb 14, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: CX DM / SQ PPS / VN Platinum
Originally Posted by yiu
The question is, should I pay a bit more and pay for a J ticket to upgrade for F? Is it worth it?

sure
Old Feb 14, 2009, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marco Polo Club
Originally Posted by yiu

The question is, should I pay a bit more and pay for a J ticket to upgrade for F? Is it worth it? I'm those people where I don't enjoy redeeming electronic and hotel stayover on Asia Miles.
I say F over J any day. it's a better experience.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 1:59 am

With completely flat seats in business class, the upgrade to J to F is not as significant (well, for experiences, perhaps, but not as significant as Y to J). This is almost always the case in most airlines.

I'd save the miles and upgrade your Y flights o J. That will save you more cash ... but still continue to travel in comfort.

To buy a J ticket compared to 'upgradable' Y ticket would cost you twice or three times more... plus you need to spend more miles to upgrade to F. It's just not worth it in my opinion.

Now, it's a different story if your company or someone else is paying for your J ticket.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 12:14 pm
yiu
Original Poster

Programs: MPC Silver
Thanks everyone for all your feedback! I've decided to top up my Asia Miles buy paying a little bit of money for my 2nd J ticket. To top up i only need 180$US to upgrade to J.

Thanks everyone! Really appreciate it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.