Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Old Oct 20, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: SQ QPP1, HYATT DIA, SPG GOLD, HH GOLD, IHG GOLD
Originally Posted by percysmith
How are you using your Citibank PM? Card-present swipe?

My insurer (Manulife) doesn't take Unionpay either, it's done via online bill payment against the Bankcomm Unionpay card. Bankcomm Unionpay can pay most PPS merchants.

Using online bill payment on Citibank PM earns no miles.
I think it's a swipe system and then my agent called up his office and took down the authorization number. I got a receipt after that. It should be miles-earning as I had done a similar thing last year. Actually not that bad since HK$25k of insurance premium translates slightly more than 3k miles; and I need to pay them anyway.

Hmm.....online bill payment against the BankComm UnionPay card??? I didn't know I can do that to my insurance premium. Maybe I can ask whether I can prepay the whole premium for next year before the end of the bill payment earning pts thingy next month.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:34 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Originally Posted by MilesBuzz
How are you using your Citibank PM? Card-present swipe?

My insurer (Manulife) doesn't take Unionpay either, it's done via online bill payment against the Bankcomm Unionpay card. Bankcomm Unionpay can pay most PPS merchants.

Using online bill payment on Citibank PM earns no miles.
I think it's a swipe system and then my agent called up his office and took down the authorization number. I got a receipt after that. It should be miles-earning as I had done a similar thing last year. Actually not that bad since HK$25k of insurance premium translates slightly more than 3k miles; and I need to pay them anyway.

Hmm.....online bill payment against the BankComm UnionPay card??? I didn't know I can do that to my insurance premium. Maybe I can ask whether I can prepay the whole premium for next year before the end of the bill payment earning pts thingy next month.
Bankcomm Diamond can pay most insurers who are PPS merchants. I think most retail insurers are PPS merchants.

And by paying via Bankcomm Diamond, you earn a better earn rate ($4/mile) than any Visa/MC* can using swipe (even when that's allowed, many insurers such as Manulife and AIA don't).

*(except for cards with welcome offer, like CCB 10K miles for 20K)

You might not have a welcome offer to use for card swipe anyway - Bankcomm's $4/mile bill payment has no cap (there is a $30K cap per payment, but you can make unlimited payments a day and merchants don't mind receiving funds in multiple PPS payments).
Old Oct 21, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: CX MPC SL, MK KF SL
DBS Black Card

Anyone seen the new DBS black card? Apparently there's no limit on how many miles you can actually earn:

http://www.dbs.com.hk/en/consumer/cr...lackcard_e.htm

Local Spending HK$6 = 1 Mile
Overseas Spendin HK$4 = 1 Mile
Old Oct 21, 2011, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by theJae
Anyone seen the new DBS black card? Apparently there's no limit on how many miles you can actually earn:

http://www.dbs.com.hk/en/consumer/cr...lackcard_e.htm

Local Spending HK$6 = 1 Mile
Overseas Spendin HK$4 = 1 Mile
These earn rates have existed since 2009

http://web.archive.org/web/200904241...card/tnc_e.htm
(same as current http://hk.dbs.com/en/consumer/credit...card/tnc_e.htm)
Old Oct 21, 2011, 9:52 pm

hi all, is everyone converting their DBS points to Asia Miles before the end of this month to take advantage of the extra 10%? I am thinking of transferring all of my points next week, do DBS do this type of offer frequently?
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

"is everyone converting their DBS points to Asia Miles before the end of this month to take advantage of the extra 10%?"

I will be, can't speak for everyone.

"do DBS do this type of offer frequently?"

Nope. First ever. dunno why they're appreciating the value of their DB$ instead of devaluing them, so not going to hold out.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 11:45 pm

"is everyone converting their DBS points to Asia Miles before the end of this month to take advantage of the extra 10%?"

I will be, can't speak for everyone.

"do DBS do this type of offer frequently?"

Nope. First ever. dunno why they're appreciating the value of their DB$ instead of devaluing them, so not going to hold out.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 1:25 am

Anyone know if any of the stores in HSBC's "lifestyle" category sells iPhones? SOGO, Jusco or any of them? Having set 4x bonus on this category, I would get about 1 AM per 3,33 HK$, which is way better than DBS Black 1AM/6$ (or current 5,45$) I would get at the Apple Store.

Any quick suggestions would be much appreciated. ^

Last edited by svellmann; Oct 22, 2011 at 1:32 am
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:06 am

Tax payment

Hi Percy and folks,

Tax payment coming up, argh.

Just wondering whether there are any cards out there offering any goodies? Rebates are good even if I can't get any points.

Btw, want to clarify one thing with DBS Black - it's $6/mile with all outlets in town, including the doctor's clinic, online payments (local purchases), cinemas and local shops, right?

Like Percy, I'm tempted to convert my points with DBS Black to take advantage of the 10% extra, but probably not have many points yet cos my card is still quite new.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,
Maya
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:37 am

[deleted, duplicate post]

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 22, 2011 at 4:34 am
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by svellmann
Anyone know if any of the stores in HSBC's "lifestyle" category sells iPhones? SOGO, Jusco or any of them? Having set 4x bonus on this category, I would get about 1 AM per 3,33 HK$, which is way better than DBS Black 1AM/6$ (or current 5,45$) I would get at the Apple Store.

Any quick suggestions would be much appreciated. ^

I doubt any. Should've gone 5X for home category.

https://www.hsbc.com.hk/1/2/special/...224b#lifestyle

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 22, 2011 at 4:34 am
Old Oct 22, 2011, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by maya1005
Tax payment coming up, argh.

Just wondering whether there are any cards out there offering any goodies? Rebates are good even if I can't get any points.
No Asia Miles offers this year to date.

Dah Sing 1% Daily Goodies offer still best for tax payments. For fear of OT accusations, I'll PM you the details.

Edit 6:47pm - oh, can't PM maya1005. Details here then:

http://www.dahsing.com/en/html/credi...es_reward.html

In each statement cycle
If you spend $100 or more in non-supermarket retail spending
You get 1% on bill payments, including salaries tax payments
Max $100 rebate (i.e. $10,000 tax payments per month).

The retail spending - can be more than one slip. But must be posted in the same statement cycle as the tax payment.

You can earn this on more than one card. In August, I have four Dah Sing cards earning this offer simultaneously. I received $100 x 4 in early October.

Btw, want to clarify one thing with DBS Black - it's $6/mile with all outlets in town, including the doctor's clinic, online payments (local purchases), cinemas and local shops, right?
$6/mile:
Doctors - yes but you'd hardly get any clinic to take Amex. Hospitals maybe.
Online purchases - yes
Cinemas - yes
Local shops - yes where accepted

Like Percy, I'm tempted to convert my points with DBS Black to take advantage of the 10% extra, but probably not have many points yet cos my card is still quite new.
Sorry, only really useful for members with huge DB$ balances.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 22, 2011 at 4:49 am
Old Oct 22, 2011, 4:38 am

re svellman

I doubt any. Should've gone 5X for home category.
I wish. But in that category I can always use the DBS black Amex for decent conversion since its new so im still getting bonuses too but with 4x hsbc bonus I can get better mileage on my Zuji (who don't like Amex) bookings until August. Hsbc is the only visa/master i have besides cx and dbs amex. Can't have it all I guess, DBS conversion is decent too, just always trying to max.
Thanks anyway!
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: CX MPC SL, MK KF SL
that's awkward, saw it in last issue of CX newsletter and thought it might be new.
Old Oct 22, 2011, 5:26 pm

HSBC Singapore Visa Infinite (HK$2.5/mile)

http://singapore-promotions.com/wp-c...dent-Cover.jpg

2.5 miles/S$ (S$0.4/mile or HK$2.5/mile) on all spending.

I wonder will HK get this card also, and what the qualification requirements will be (HSBC Private Bank?)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.