Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2011, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
Then we shouldn't use value miles using premium redemptions like the 14-25c valuation you're using http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...-hk-8.html#113

Should be closer to my 10.2c ($0.102) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/catha...ying-club.html
i have no problem redeeming for my trip last may tho. yes i had to keep calling but i did eventually get my ticket on the days i want. i wouldnt put a 0.1 valuation for my flights i'd say! (HKG-LHR-FCO-BUD-CDG//AMS-HKG) even a K/M ticket would cost more than 15500 HKD!

a changable HKG-LHR//AMS-HKG would cost to 10K and FCO-CDG is 130-150 on train (cheapest sociallable 1-way) and much higher on a plane. i would still think high teens would be a reasonable value to put. FWIW, 30000HKD (26XXX++)is how much a D ticket TPE-Europe would cost.

Last edited by kaka; Sep 19, 2011 at 12:26 am
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:18 am
Suspended

have someone bought those 10% bonus asiamiles from DBS black bazaar? how long does it take to credit? (some other miles are dying on Oct 31 so i need to redeem before)
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by kaka
have someone bought those 10% bonus asiamiles from DBS black bazaar? how long does it take to credit? (some other miles are dying on Oct 31 so i need to redeem before)
Kaka, "bought" the miles last weekend. From the T&C looks like 8 weeks to post.

http://dbs3.esdlife.com/blackbazaar/...e0&itemId=114&
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:44 pm
Suspended

AMEX have confirmed both my $100 coupons upon 5x >100 spendings with 2 different AMEX cards (DBS and AMEX plat)
Old Sep 21, 2011, 6:20 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

AMEX have confirmed both my $100 coupons upon 5x >100 spendings with 2 different AMEX cards (DBS and AMEX plat)
Same here, I did 3 (Amex Plat, DBS Black, SCB AE). I admit this promo caused me to stock an excessive amount of liquid soap, but like the $5 promo I'm sure I'll run down the supply over time.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:08 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

Same here, I did 3 (Amex Plat, DBS Black, SCB AE). I admit this promo caused me to stock an excessive amount of liquid soap, but like the $5 promo I'm sure I'll run down the supply over time.
due to my family's (including my gf) obession towards premium icecream, some certain swiss-branded icecream helped us(just me, really) achieving the goal.

defo didnt help citysuper no longer stock them.

of, for the $5 promo, did you buy stuff that cost <5?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:02 pm

due to my family's (including my gf) obession towards premium icecream, some certain swiss-branded icecream helped us(just me, really) achieving the goal.

defo didnt help citysuper no longer stock them.

of, for the $5 promo, did you buy stuff that cost <5?
Oh yeah - did a few 3-cup boxes of Haagen-Dazs Creme Brulee also.

$5 - I did Nestle "square" jelly. Think they were $3 each. You?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Oh yeah - did a few 3-cup boxes of Haagen-Dazs Creme Brulee also.

$5 - I did Nestle "square" jelly. Think they were $3 each. You?
i got lemons(3), soft drinks(4.5) and etc... depending what i need/want.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:43 am

Bonus points with branded HSBC cards

If I use the Code card or Dickson card (they are linked to my HSBC MasterCard) for their discounts, do I still get the 5x reward points?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 12:51 am

I plan to settle my TWD72K Taipei 101 Grand Hyatt hotel bill with my SCB cards. I plan to use whatever's left of my overseas 10X using my MC and SCB AE the remainder.

I'm thinking it's a good idea to go down to the hotel cashier and partial settle the bill to 10K (approx TWD40K) with the SCB MC on the night before checkout. If they DCC, it's better to sort it out alone at night (calling out the duty manager if necessary) rather than to wait until checkout day and have my mum, my sister in law, my niece and my nephew egging me on do sign the DXMNED SHIXXY THING DCC OR NO and get a move on to Zoo/Shop/Airport (my brother's cool, he's probably outside having a fag).

The final settlement on checkout day should be relatively straightforward with the SCB AE. I qualify for the $500 rebate for $5.5K spending at the same time.

defo do that, i usually settle the bill after breakfast but before checkout if .... happens... and if you're planning to split the bill anyway settling before hand is a smart idea IMHO
I normally wake up very late, so I just did the pre-checkout with a clerk at the Grand Hyatt Taipei.

Let's just say this non-PRC DCC experience is a lot more civilised. Instead of being forced to sign or tear up the transaction in its entirety and curse the staff as in the PRC, I was given a slip (this is a thermal slip - merchant copy) for the Mastercard (acquirer: Global Payments (this caused a couple of double takes at the card slip when I was filling it cos I thought I mixed it up with a HKD local slip)) with the following statement:

"Please select transaction currency:

1. [ ]HKD 9,256.28
FX Rate 0.2746670HKD/NTD
OR
2. [ ]NTD 33,700" (the remainder went to SCB AE, I exhausted my 10X cap)

I already told the clerk I wanted NTD charging and she keyed in "2" in the credit card terminal even before I signed her copy. I proceeded to tick the box next to 2, signed and returned this merchant copy of the card slip to her.

My copy of the credit card slip came out as follows:

"Please select transaction currency:

1. [ ]HKD 9,256.28
FX Rate 0.2746670HKD/NTD
OR
2. [X]NTD 33,700

I have chosen not to use the MasterCard
currency conversion process and agree
that I will have no recourse against
Mastercard concerning the currency
conversion or its disclosure

持卡人存根
---------
I AGREE TO PAY TOTAL AMOUNT
ACCORDING TO CARD ISSUER AGREEMENT
"

Now that's meaningful choice. Suxk shxt Bank of Cheapxsses! You'll only get AEs from me from now on!!!

Other observations about DCC, CC and ATM cards in Taipei:

1. I tried to use as much AE as I can cos I know the Hyatt bill will blow my MC spending targets away. However, other than the five-star hotels (Hyatt, Sheraton, Le Meridien (Mum has a very sensistive digestive system so we gravitated towards 5-star hotels instead of night markets), acceptance of AE in Taipei is poor. I had to whip out the MC for local bookshops, museums, even Watsons!

2. Of the four MC transactions, the Hyatt is the only place where DCC is offered (this time, I read through every MC card slip before I signed it). Dunno if whether Taiwanese acquirers are less aggressive than PRC acquirers (BoC China in particular) or whether DCC is only really prevalent in hotels.

3. The rate I got for ATM card on Mon 27 Dec is 0.2627 (0.68% *below* 24 Dec HKAB sell) and SCB AE on Tue 28 Dec posting is 0.2676 (0.15% *below* 28 Dec HKAB sell). I'm pretty happy with these rates, and with the rate differential too (even though I'm paying roughly 0.53% more for AE, I'm earning 4% in miles!)

4. The AE rate last observed of 0.2676 is 2.65% higher than the DCC rate offered by Global Payments of 0.2747. Still no bargain (and a ripoff considering the forgone overseas miles!)
My applause for Global Payments Taiwan is misplaced. Global Payments (HSBC) must have been surpised to hear there's a compliant terminal on their system, and promptly buttfxcked it.

This week I'm spending some quality time with my girlfriend in Taiwan. I'm writing this mid trip, tho most of the card-swiping (and the below DCC buttfxck) was on day 1.

Everything from the Taipei airport bus, THSR, Tu Hsiao Yueh and Eslite processed my Shacom PLK MC ($1.6/mile) correctly. Even a small little restaurant in the Sun Moon Lake took my MC without complaint. The only places that didn't take my MC is Chunghwa Telecom for my prepaid card (but for NTD50/day for unlimited 3G data it's a must buy) and 7-Eleven.

All was well until I got to the hotel (a Chinatrust hotel). I suspected hotels are a popular DCC spot (my "model" DCC transaction is Grand Hyatt Taipei). I followed the cashier to the terminal, which had a big Global Payments logo, which the cashiers blu-tacked "Hui Feng" (HSBC) in Chinese.

I was presented a DCC slip with exactly the same wording as Grand Hyatt Taipei, and I even started signing it, looking up to remind the cashier "and you will charge NTD, won't you?".

"No choice" came the reply. She already was printing the customer copy (first slip from left). Unlike the Grand Hyatt slip, no currency choice is printed.

The next thing my girlfriend must have seen me do was lean on my stomach over the counter, waving my arms and demanding the cashier do it again.

The cashier was helpful, and has probably seen this complaint before. She repeated the process step by step.

1. Stick card into EMV chip reader.
2. Key in Enter (I think) and amount followed by Enter
3. Machine starts printing out merchant copy and customer copy (third slip from left).

The machine no longer stops between merchant and customer copies then before

And when the cashier reversed the payment (twice), the following is printed (second and fourth from left):

Local AMT: -NTD1,602
FX rate: 0.2742199HKD/NTD
TXN AMT: -HKD439.30

Quite evidently, Hui Feng has decided it can dispense with the choice for merchants' customers to opt into DCC, and buttfxck everyone.

My poor cashier had the patience to transact the amount for the third time, this time using my SCB AE card...I can't complain of her persistence.

For reference, the SCB AE just posted yesterday for 428.42 or NTD3.74/HKD. The above DCC rate quoted indirectly is 3.65, the rate I got for fee-free SCB withdrawals is 3.72 and the HKAB sell rate was 3.73. So the DCC scalp is 2%. Of course I also lose the $2.5/mile earn rate on foreign spending for $8/mile normal HKD spending earn rate.

It's not Hui Feng China that's the problem. When it comes to ripping customers off, the World's Local Bank is very global.

Last edited by percysmith; Oct 2, 2011 at 12:47 am
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:17 am
Suspended

so this is the place you were complaining about a few mths ago instead of someone where AE is a massive rip-off?
it's not THAT bad! (i've been thinking SYX all along)
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:37 am

so this is the place you were complaining about a few mths ago instead of someone where AE is a massive rip-off?
it's not THAT bad! (i've been thinking SYX all along)
Did I have any complaints about cards in TPE before? I don't recall any. Last time I was here Global Payments was even compliant (I was using it as a model for describing how a compliant DCC should work). Also AE NTD rate not crap, just that AE not accepted everywhere and sometimes u've non-AE promos (like current Shacom $1.6/mile) which are better.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 4:39 am

(Taiwan trip cont'd) After a few days on a local tour (read: minimal card spending to do) we ended up back in TPE early last evening and started to hit the clubbing spots. Being low on cash, I took my Shacom MC to charge as much as I can.

The first spot we hit were Spark 101. Chinatrust NTD txn no problems there.

The next spot was a bit of a shock - in house DCCed me. On being presented with the slip, with the hostess again already holding the customer copy, I walked the hostess back, forked over cash and demanded the transaction be reversed. The cashier presented me with another DCC slip to sign and I launched into a Mandarin tirade about how HKD is still there and she didn't fix anything. It turns out she merely wanted my signature on her (merchant) copy of the reversal slip - I don't know why that's necessary but I didn't see any problems signing for something that will give me money (I didn't sign the original DCC slip), so OK.

Room 18 was cover charge at the door so no help there (the day will come where clubs will take miles-earning Visa Paywave cards, but meanwhile cash is still king in tight spots).

On my suggestion (given Living Room is one of our favourite drinking places in HK), we headed to W Taipei's WOObar. The sitting cages rock (literally) but being a hotel we naturally got DCCed.

I made the point of specifically asking for NTD in advance to no avail...Girlfriend was getting used to seeing me wave my arms and demand DCC reversals at this stage and thank goodness the server served the DCC charge and reversal slips on a plate.

I love the fact Taiwan card slips almost always identify the acquirer, unlike the anonymous cowards that most HK acquirers are. W Taipei WOObar is a Global Payments merchant like the Chinatrust hotel (logos on back of slip). in house's slips were marked with "TS" characters on the back. My first guess is Taishin Bank http://wapedia.mobi/en/List_of_banks_in_Taiwan but I have a bona fide Taishin Bank card slip and it looks nothing like the in house slip (not to mention DCC was not applied). The first four digits of in house's merchant and terminal IDs match those of WOObar and the Chinatrust hotel, and the font and wording is similar, so I concluded the acquirer is Global Payments again but printed on anonymous coward paper.

Last edited by percysmith; Sep 23, 2011 at 5:34 am
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Did I have any complaints about cards in TPE before? I don't recall any. Last time I was here Global Payments was even compliant (I was using it as a model for describing how a compliant DCC should work). Also AE NTD rate not crap, just that AE not accepted everywhere and sometimes u've non-AE promos (like current Shacom $1.6/mile) which are better.
nono. u wanted to go euro bound but there was alternative suggestions. and that WAS taiwan?
Old Sep 24, 2011, 5:27 am

nono. u wanted to go euro bound but there was alternative suggestions. and that WAS taiwan?
Yes indeed. Disgraceful to have to admit I've been made to TW when we've enough time to go to UK. The $1.6/mile offer made up for some of the hurt...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.