Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best credit card coversion rate to Asiamiles in 2009? (For FTers based in HK)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by percysmith
I only looked at the PLK card cos it had the better welcome offer at the time. Also has the perm fee waiver. But it has an annoying feature of rounding up your bills to nearest $10 and donating the diff to PLK. I don't like PLK as a charity...

PLK and core Plat/Titanium has no difference in earn rates/redeem fees.
i had the option to op that out
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:53 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by kaka
i had the option to op that out
Called Shacom about it and they told me to fax them a written request - done. Is that how you opted out?

I won't switch it off if the charity is World Vision or Red Cross (well, I now have doubts about the latter). But PLK is sort of forced on me rather than me willing to support its cause.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:09 am
Suspended

Called Shacom about it and they told me to fax them a written request - done. Is that how you opted out?

I won't switch it off if the charity is World Vision or Red Cross (well, I now have doubts about the latter). But PLK is sort of forced on me rather than me willing to support its cause.
there's a checkbox on the "new" form now that still has the AM promotion
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:41 am
Suspended

Joke of the month

I've gotten SCB's new promotion after the 6.5x extra points (making $2/mile)
i'll get a few Pizza hut coupons upon spending 56K HKD
It's such a joke it gives me good incentive to say byebye to this card.
I have enjoyed their last 2 promos. time to churn my StanChart relations.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 7:45 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

there's a checkbox on the "new" form now that still has the AM promotion
Oh okay. The box wasn't available when I applied.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:33 am

Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

I've gotten SCB's new promotion after the 6.5x extra points (making $2/mile)
i'll get a few Pizza hut coupons upon spending 56K HKD
It's such a joke it gives me good incentive to say byebye to this card.
I have enjoyed their last 2 promos. time to churn my StanChart relations.
I haven't got my $2/mile extra points yet, tho my promo said they'll be paid out by 31 July.

But you're right - SCB wrote itself to irrelevance as far as miles as concerned. If you don't have a SCB AE and need to keep that for overseas spending, you're well advised to churn the card for the $500 Park'N'Shop offer. My SCB card balance went from five digits to $130 (that was Grand Cinema for two with 10% discount).

(OT as far as FT's concerned) I did look into earning Manhattan ID points instead for their concerts - I recently paid $1,000 per ticket to a scalper for a Miriam Yeung 903id ticket requiring 30,000pts. A 3.33% return - which doesn't sound bad until an intern told me the concert booking hotline sold out (of redemptions) at 9:03am of the first day (first public redemption: 9:00am).

Oh I just got home and got the promo...$500 coupon for $13.7K from now to 31 Aug for me. It's "coupon", and I never eat in with more than one person, nor do take-aways for work anymore (colleagues like Pizza Box instead), so even for 13.7K I'm gonna fuggetaboutit.

Last edited by percysmith; Jul 8, 2011 at 6:20 pm
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:12 am
Suspended

Wirelessly posted (Palm850/V0100 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

I haven't got my $2/mile extra points yet, tho my promo said they'll be paid out by 31 July.

But you're right - SCB wrote itself to irrelevance as far as miles as concerned. If you don't have a SCB AE and need to keep that for overseas spending, you're well advised to churn the card for the $500 Park'N'Shop offer. My SCB card balance went from five digits to $170 (that was Grand Cinema for two with 10% discount).
15 Jul
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:36 am

15 Jul
I was about to correct myself cos the 15 July 2011 date is stated in clause 11.

But when I called SCB CS, they said they're gonna award the points "in stages from now to 31 July". I asked her to check the date again and she still said 31 July.

Well I'm not gonna bother writing a letter to SCB to complain just cos the points are 16 days' late. Just as long as they don't tell me they've already finished awarding.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold OWE
I think many of us do not like the way StandChart does things (e.g. the 12-1 to 15-1 debacle) but I find myself using the VI as the primary card nowadays after Fubon withdrew the 6-1. So basically stuck with it, especially for the Amex. Current structure :-

Local (everyday general use): StandChart VI / StandChart Amex / Amex Plat Credit Card (all 7.5-1)
Local (weekend >$300): Fubon Elite Visa (6-1)
Local (>$500 6x monthly): Fubon Elite Visa (166 miles bonus)
Local AAVS / Autopays: StandChart VI (7.5-1)
Overseas: SC Amex (2.5-1) and Fubon Elite Visa (3-1)

I've just put in the application for the BComm Unionpay for the 4-1 for >$300. From a miles earning perspective, wonder how much more I can streamline this? I am considering the DBS Black Amex but waiting for the right time to max out the welcome offer. Anyway, my point was that I really don't see anyway out of StandChart in the near term as no one else does better than 7.5-1 for local visa/master; would love to be corrected of course.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by toplayer
I think many of us do not like the way StandChart does things (e.g. the 12-1 to 15-1 debacle) but I find myself using the VI as the primary card nowadays after Fubon withdrew the 6-1. So basically stuck with it, especially for the Amex. Current structure :-

Local (everyday general use): StandChart VI / StandChart Amex / Amex Plat Credit Card (all 7.5-1)
Local (weekend >$300): Fubon Elite Visa (6-1)
Local (>$500 6x monthly): Fubon Elite Visa (166 miles bonus)
Local AAVS / Autopays: StandChart VI (7.5-1)
Overseas: SC Amex (2.5-1) and Fubon Elite Visa (3-1)

I've just put in the application for the BComm Unionpay for the 4-1 for >$300. From a miles earning perspective, wonder how much more I can streamline this? I am considering the DBS Black Amex but waiting for the right time to max out the welcome offer. Anyway, my point was that I really don't see anyway out of StandChart in the near term as no one else does better than 7.5-1 for local visa/master; would love to be corrected of course.
I'm also carrying my PB VI to pay people who don't take AE but aren't restaurants.

I think I'll lose my PB account by the end of the year - I moved my payroll to BEA so my TRB needs to be 1M (in fact it's been cut down to <0.5M).

I might redeem the $300 fee to redeem the miles on the PB VI as there's only 30K points there and I need to clear the points on my SCB AE before they expire in March 2012. I think I'll use the 16 pts/mile Moneyback redemption method to credit my a/c...that's $8/mile not $7.5 but at least its fee free.

(I remember doing an analysis in which I concluded it takes 720,000 points to make the 15 pts/mile for $300 rate preferable to 16 pts/mile via Moneyback route.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:40 am
Suspended

(I remember doing an analysis in which I concluded it takes 720,000 points to make the 15 pts/mile for $300 rate preferable to 16 pts/mile via Moneyback route.
I think i'm close to there but not quite there even after they credit me the bonus points from the 25000 miles promotion, so all my points will go to moneyback soon. since it's free(and has a daily cap), i can start doing it now and can finetune (top up or give up)as all the bonus arrives fir my departure in August.

Anyway, doesn't Shacomm levy a $10/1000AM charge capping at $500? Does Shacomm have a max points to earn per unit time? (Like fubon, 3*monthly limit/month)
Old Jul 7, 2011, 2:03 am

Anyway, doesn't Shacomm levy a $10/1000AM charge capping at $500?
Yep, that's why I'm using PB VI instead of Shacom for my "other VI/MC" payments.

Does Shacomm have a max points to earn per unit time? (Like fubon, 3*monthly limit/month)
Nope.

But they're quite stingy with credit limits (1.5X monthly salary for me), so you may end up having to prepay the account before you use it.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 4:38 am
Suspended

Yep, that's why I'm using PB VI instead of Shacom for my "other VI/MC" payments.

Nope.

But they're quite stingy with credit limits (1.5X monthly salary for me), so you may end up having to prepay the account before you use it.
that's alright. it's better than paying by cash or even worse by fubon that gets no points but card forex charges
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:11 pm

This probably happened a while ago - HK taxis are taking Octopus cards. 30 cabs have been kitted out with Octopus readers last Dec http://stu.hksyu.edu/~shuo/web/2010/12/09/12803 . The taxi unions are raising hell for lost opportunities in tax evasion.

A new source of miles anyone? Guess most of us here have Octopus AAVS that earns us miles at $8/mile. I can imagine earning 500 miles just from cabrides in the next two months (I'll be taking a lot of rides home due to financial year-end). Too bad there's only 30 of them - anyone know the taxi reservations number for these cabbies?
Originally Posted by yellowtip
Finally finally finally!!!

I always thought the HK taxi maffia was too strong to let this happen...

Hope they expand it soon before these 30 cabs miraculously disappear.
I finally got on a taxi that takes credit cards.

http://www.autotaxi.com.hk/eng/index/index.html
2627 8866

They also have an Apple app that helps order in taxis.

It's a bit different from what I expected. The cabs don't take Octopus or Paywave, but rather Visa and MC cards with EMV chip.

But it's a bit gimmicky - the cab we got on didn't have the card terminal connected, and refused to connect it when we got to the hotel we were going to citing the time it takes. We suspect it's more to do with the fact our trip was short ($18), the cabbie still wanted to evade profits tax, or both.

Maybe they'll be more cooperative if it's a longer trip. I also suspect we also have to put all our cash in our briefcases/handbags, and show the cabbie a cashless wallet with only cards in it in order to get our miles.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: CX Silver, SPG, etc.
Any chance a forum moderator could summarize current offers on the first page of the thread? 57 pages is a lot to go through, and I'm having a hard time finding details on current offers... Just a thought, though =)

Just got my CX Elite Amex; intro period earn seems pretty good at 4/1 local and 2/1 overseas but after that may have to explore other options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.