Wiki Posts
Search

Worth choosing a special meal?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2008, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Worth choosing a special meal?

We are lucky enough to have just booked some CX F flights LHR-HKG-AKL and return later in the year. My partner doesn't eat meat, only fish and vegetarian food, and from what I can gather from menus posted hereabouts she may have very limited choice (if any). Most recent menus seem to have a veg option for the western main course, but the Cantonese options are obviously fairly meaty.

So, is it worth her requesting a veg special meal? She obviously doesn't want to miss out on the caviar/salmon, and I have seen a fish options on a few menus; if something else on the menu caught her fancy would there be a problem with her having that instead of the VSPML?

Thanks,

BC
Old Jul 12, 2008, 3:28 pm

Programs: Shangri-La GC Exec, QF Silver, HH gold, SPG gold, BMI DC Gold, Amex Plat
You could try http://www.airlinemeals.net/indexSpecialmeals.html to see if anyone has reviewed CX special seafood / vegetarian meals.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
For some reason (probably due to low demand) CX is not offering a seafood meal per se.

But as you are flying F, I'm quite sure that an individual seafood (caviar & other stuff)/vegetarian combo can be set up. Best would probably be to contact either your travel agent or then MPC.

CX veg meal choices from their website:

"Vegetarian Meals

Western Vegetarian
Also known as "Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian". This meal contains no meat or seafood but does include dairy produce such as butter, cheese, milk and eggs...

Strict Western Vegetarian

Also known as "Vegan". This meal contains no meat, fish or dairy products.
Oriental Vegetarian
A vegetarian meal prepared and cooked Chinese-style without meat, fish or game, dairy products or root vegetables including ginger, garlic, onion, spring onions etc, or anything that is grown underground.

Indian Vegetarian

An Indian-style spicy vegetarian meal that contains no meat or seafood but does include limited dairy products. Ordered by the majority of Hindus who cannot eat meat or fish.

Strict Indian Vegetarian

This meal does not contain any meat, fish, egg, diary products, game, seafood or root vegetables including ginger, garlic, onion and potato."
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
This is certainly a dilemma if you're flying in F or C, but for Y, it probably is advantageous to order a special meal. I flew CX873 and CX870 (SFO/HKG/SFO) in Y and on each leg, there were Indian passengers in front and in back of me who ordered the Hindu veg meal, and it smelled pretty good...before we got the regular meal service.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS/BA/CX/EK
Thanks all. Can't find any reviews of F SPMLs but will talk to the travel agent and see if they can sort something out with CX. Probably not too much of a problem, and we're definitely looking forward to the flights with 3 out of 4 in new F (first sector ex-LHR is the 343, though).

BC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.