Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond on Y

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Diamond on Y

Flew to LAX-HKG-MNL end of February and got great treatment from the Cathay staff. I was greeted, asked if I wanted anything to make my flight comfortable, gave me a bottled water and I was served first on both meal times during the flight. This never happened while being Gold so I don't know if this is a new service initiative by Cathay. The two other passengers sitting next to me were very impressed with the service I received and indicated they may now try to fly Cathay exclusively as well.

Flew MNL-HKG-LAX today and had mixed results. The FA (not sure she was a manager) in charge of economy, greeted me at the beginning of the flight, gave me an Evian and then promptly forgot all about me.

During the second meal service, I asked the other FA if I could talk to the ISM, the FA in charge of economy came over and basically said, she had forgotten about me while the other Marco Polo club member across the aisle had gotten his meal ahead of everybody in the section. The FA even asked me if she had given me bottled water in the beginning of the flight which I promptly showed to her. I was gonna escalate it to the actual ISM but didn't want to hassle with it anymore. 11 hours flight and she forgets who the Marco Polo members are in her section, just weird.

On another note, the seat next to me was empty although it showed filled up during the online checkin. I guess I should stop changing my seat during online checkin and trust that Cathay will block the seat next to me if possible. I've always changed my seat during online check in thinking that the next seat is taken.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:10 pm

Programs: Cathay Silver, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LapuLapu
she had forgotten about me while the other Marco Polo club member across the aisle had gotten his meal ahead of everybody in the section. The FA even asked me if she had given me bottled water in the beginning of the flight which I promptly showed to her. I was gonna escalate it to the actual ISM but didn't want to hassle with it anymore.
So what was the problem again? You didn't get your first meal choice? I

was not aware Marco Polo members get their meals ahead of everyone else.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
It is not often the case that you will be given bottled water, but if they don't, you can always ask. FAs are quite accommodating to reasonable requests by DMs.

It is not often that you will be served first on meals.

It is not always that they can block the seat next to you even if you requested to have it blocked. I once got the seat next to me released by the gate agent even though there are other empty seats around. They may release that as long as there is a good reason to.

Even if they greet you, they can forget about you for the entire flight. That happens, but if you make any request, they should be quite accommodating. There is probably not necessary to bring to the attention to the ISM. That can easily be esculated to a DYKWIA situation to the crew and other passengers, and is not a common behaviour for MPC members.

BTW, if you need to talk with an ISM, please be aware the ISM may rest in the middle of a long haul flight, but he/she should be available at a minimum during the first three hours and the last three hours. I have seen ISMs who worked 12 hours straight on HKG-SFO flights.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by pacificboot

Depending on the crew, MPC DMs may get meals, or make their selections, ahead of other passengers.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:35 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
Depending on the crew, MPC DMs may get meals, or make their selections, ahead of other passengers.
If you receive the special service accept it gratefully. But it is not something you are entitled to.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by sxc
If you receive the special service accept it gratefully. But it is not something you are entitled to.
That is very true. Let the FAs or the ISM initiate, we just follow the flow. It is nice to say "thank you", not just for the special service, but even for any regular service. It will only help if the FAs feel your appreciation.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
According to the rule,they have to address and greet all the DMs or GOs in Y, however some of the crews might just ignore it. That's why consistency is always the problem of CX crews.

I have been in EY once on a long haul flight (CX253) after being a DM. The FP came to greet me and took my order of all two meals. The BC could remeber my surname all the way. So far it is one of the best CX Y flights ever in my life. If there are too many elites on your flight, I guess there would have less special treatement. Nowadays,even DM in J,the ISM might just come to say a hi,and that's it. Choosing a less demanding flight (like 253) instead of a flight filled with DMs (251/255) would be a good choice if you want some special treatment.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:28 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
bottled water is a DM unofficial perk? I'm Gold and I've received that. I guess it must have been an exceptional flight.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:24 am

Programs: CX DM, QF PLT, SQ G, EK G
I have been a DM for 12 years (too long) and about 60% of the time the ISM will speak to me or you get the star treatment in Y it goes up to 90% when in J. We can not expect too much as a DM when we are flying at the back of the bus. So when you do get the treatment enjoy it and if feeling cheeky see if you can get some nice wine back from J I always do! CX do look after us much better than QF
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
Originally Posted by pacificboot

The problem for me is consistency. I am fine without the perks as having access to lounges is good enough for me.

But if the service is spotty, why even recognize your frequent flyers while on board the flight?
Old Mar 10, 2008, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by LapuLapu
The problem for me is consistency. I am fine without the perks as having access to lounges is good enough for me.

But if the service is spotty, why even recognize your frequent flyers while on board the flight?
Except for the official perks, additional treatments have been inconsistent. Occasionally I was not even greeted, but perhaps I was asleep when the ISMs/SPs came by.

CX may even intentionally make it inconsistent and crew-dependent so that we do not have any expectations but treat the additional perks as good gestures.

Most of the time, when the FAs and ISMs offered me anything, I asked to have them after the cabin lights were off to avoid the FAs being asked by other passengers.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Silver, MU Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by G-man82
bottled water is a DM unofficial perk? I'm Gold and I've received that. I guess it must have been an exceptional flight.
It depends on the ISM really.

I was given LHR Fast Track Pass, a glass of champagne and bottle of water in a few LHR Y flights as a GO. However I was rejected once (only asked for a bottle of water) by the ISM once. It might be because I am just a lowly student.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ny911
It might be because I am just a lowly student.
It's always lingering in me... how does student get gold /diamond in CX. surely a few long haul in F will do. Still, it takes 3 HKG/LHR/JFK/HKG in a year for gold. do you have that much time???
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by kaka
It's always lingering in me... how does student get gold /diamond in CX. surely a few long haul in F will do. Still, it takes 3 HKG/LHR/JFK/HKG in a year for gold. do you have that much time???
The key is to get rich parents!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by kaka
I'm a student also, and EXP on AA. I do some consulting work for a tech start-up company and that gets me out of town a bit. Grad students don't get paid all that much. I occasionally still get asked how old I am, and sometimes they ask to see my BP when I'm already in the lounge to see if I'm really supposed to be there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.