Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Award - how does it work?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:54 am

Programs: BA(GGL) QF LTS CX AM, Hilton Diamond, PPL(A)
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Wanted to check if someone has recent experience with booking a companion award.

I am especially interested if the award space comes from the same 'bucket' as regular redemptions or from a different 'bucket'?

Looking esp. at HKG-ZRH-HKG in July/ August if that helps. Currently not showing any 'normal' award availability but could potentially route via DUS or FRA. I only want to book CX if companion award is possible. Thanks!
It comes from a different bucket (which typically has more avail than the normal award availability). Why don't you just call in to ask them if there is availability? That's the only way to know for sure.

I personally find if there is a lot of "I" availability, you stand a pretty good chance... though there was this once where I managed to snag a HKG-LHR companion award with not a lot of I seats left...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:53 pm

I have a question regarding rebooking of companion award ticket.

I have a purchased return flight in I class and a confirmed redemption (companion) return flight in U class.

I need to change the return leg of my I class flight to a later date. There is availability in U class as well for the later date.

Once I change my I return leg, will my U return leg automatically change as well since it is a companion ticket? Can I do I have to make the U change - if so can this be done online, or would I need to call that dreadful Asia Miles hotline?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 7:02 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Once I change my I return leg, will my U return leg automatically change as well since it is a companion ticket? Can I do I have to make the U change - if so can this be done online, or would I need to call that dreadful Asia Miles hotline?
No. CX's system is not that advance

Yes you need to call AM... If I remember correctly it won't work even you call the 3333 revenue booking hotline as they can't (or won't maybe...) move your U class ticket... On the other hand AM can change your I booking so you'll be better off calling AM and ask them change all stuff for you...
Old Jan 8, 2019, 1:58 pm

Hmmm... I wonder what will happen to the companion ticket if I don't call and change the date of return leg? Will the companion ticket be invalidated now that the date of the purchased ticket is different? Perhaps CX system indeed isn't smart enough and the companion effectively may fly separately?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:25 pm

Programs: CXAM BAEC
I think there will be a risk as the T&D of AM mentions: "If Members purchase a First or Business Class ticket for travel, they can also redeem a companion ticket. The companion must travel on the same flight, date and class of service. Companion Tickets are only available on round-trip flights."
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:12 pm

I called Asia Miles and they say date change on the companion ticket can only be done by phone at a whopping cost of US$40 or 4,000 Asia Miles per sector!
Old Jan 9, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Hmmm... I wonder what will happen to the companion ticket if I don't call and change the date of return leg? Will the companion ticket be invalidated now that the date of the purchased ticket is different? Perhaps CX system indeed isn't smart enough and the companion effectively may fly separately?
The companion ticket will void. Even if the system is not smart enough the ground agent is as there's remark on the companion ticket

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.