Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Is there a good way to earn AM in U.S without flying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:00 am
Original Poster

i live in L.A, i checked the website for their partner program where you spent and get AM. but i dont see any business that is close to L.A. Does anyone know? thanks
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
Originally Posted by jackhuang14823
i live in L.A, i checked the website for their partner program where you spent and get AM. but i dont see any business that is close to L.A. Does anyone know? thanks
They partner with a number of hotel and car rental chains that have a presence in the US, including Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Mariott, Preferred, Radisson, Starwood. That's "not flying". Of course, if you meant business you can use "at home" (where you don't need a hotel stay or a rental car), that's different. But in turn, some of those hotels have US credit cards use can use to earn points which you could presumably later transfer to AsiaMiles. Or, if you already use those hotels and have accumulated points through stays and bonuses, you could similarly transfer. (Preferred, though, does not have a point program AFAIK; you can only earn miles directly on stays.)

Oh, and IHG has Priority Club Dining, so if you join that, accumulate Priority Club points by dining at particpating restaurants on qualifying days, using a registered credit or debit card, you'll earn points in those dines. 10000 points in the Priority Club program can be turned into 2000 AsiaMiles. Not as good a rate of earning miles as you get with earning miles directly at the dining programs of AA, BA, UA, NW, DL, CO, AS, etc, etc, but it's the only AsiaMiles transfer partner that has a dining program that I can tell. And there are tons of dining program restaurants in L A; in some parts of L A you can even have a number of them within walking distance of your house!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:18 am
Original Poster

thank you very much for your reply. I am wondering for the AMEX and CITI bank card, is it for use in Hong Kong only?
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Canada we have the RBC Visa Platinum which allows you to earn 1 AM for every 1 CAD spent. However, only applicable to Canadian residents with a Canadian mailing address. Don't think they have anything similar for those residing in the U.S.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:46 am
Original Poster

thank you for your info.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
thank you very much for your reply. I am wondering for the AMEX and CITI bank card, is it for use in Hong Kong only?
Quite possibly it may be limited to Hong Kong or at least Asia residents (if you meet the residency requirement, whatever it is, I'm sure you can use it worldwide), but as a US resident you can get the very popular Starwood AMEX which is fee-free the first year and $30ish a year after that, and earns 1 SPG point per dollar spent, and transfers 1:1 to AisaMiles, so it's like earning 1 AsiaMile per dollar spent except that need to do transfers periodically.

And it can actually be 1:1.25 if you're patient: From the SPG website:

You can transfer up to 99,999 StarpointsŪ into Asia Miles(TM), which can be redeemed towards free flights, upgrades and companion tickets to over 880 destinations, at a 1-to-1 ratio. And for every transfer of 20,000 Starpoints, you'll earn 5,000 bonus Asia Miles, which will be automatically added to your transfer. There is no minimum point transfer requirement for Platinum members. Gold members have a minimum point transfer of 1,500 Starpoints and Preferred members have a minimum point transfer of 2,500.
Because of that 25% bonus when transferring 20k at a time, many FTers in the US prefer the Starwood AMEX even to the airline cards for many US airlines which can be had easily. You can't earn a 25% bonus on AA miles with AA's card, or with NW's card, etc. (Doesn't work well for CO or UA as the transfer is only 2:1 there, but for many the airlines it does work better than the airline's own card.)
Old Dec 8, 2007, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

For Starwood AMEX, Do i only get points for spending at specific place? or anything? Also, how do i transfer my points so i can use it for Asia Miles? THANKs
Old Dec 8, 2007, 3:02 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
For Starwood AMEX, Do i only get points for spending at specific place? or anything? Also, how do i transfer my points so i can use it for Asia Miles? THANKs
You can get points anywhere AMEX is accepted.

To transfer from SPG to AM, see:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...nerCode=CATHAY

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.