Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

UOB "Inifinte" VISA Black Card - Best Asia Miles for VISA

UOB "Inifinte" VISA Black Card - Best Asia Miles for VISA

Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:12 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by tedhl
well...I have the feeling that the "once-per-year buy-miles-cheap" thing isn't going to happen either...frankly quite a waste of my time and effort to apply for this card...all the key benefits originally mentioned in this thread...four seasons breakfast, HKD 6 = 1 mile, etc are all ending...not much real benefits at all compared to other platinum visa cards.

and, I'm very unlucky compared to theworld and very unimpressed by the services so far...I sent in my application at end Nov...didn't really hear back from them until early last week (~2-3 weeks), and told me the application was approved and said the card will be delivered to me by last Friday...but so far haven't heard or seen anything yet either Friday or Saturday or today (all working days supposedly).
finally, got the card today, almost 2 weeks after the Dec 21 Friday delivery date mentioned by the lady who called me (I didn't ask for any express processing or whatever, don't know why she mentioned to me a date which they missed by almost 2 weeks).

anyway, I called the service hotline too, and they also confirmed there's nothing at Langham either...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
Anybody got the news on the coming AM purchase program from the service hotline?
I am waiting for this promo to top up my AM account.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:03 am

VISA Black Card - Best Asia Miles for VISA? I will look into it this card sounds like a great rewards card...
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Location: Australia Cathay Marco Polo Gold, Hilton Platinum VIP, Hyatt Gold Passport, Hertz Gold, PC Platinum, AMEX Centurion
I just phone up the Service hotline of UOB and noticed that the 4 Seasons Hotel promo is gone and it is actually a promo from VISA Infinite itself and nothing to do with UOB Bank.
Actually it work out great if you pay for the HK$6380 annual fee and get 60,000AM back! Obviously if you want to top up your AM account for a business or first class redemption from CX. Much netter than buying the AM from CX.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 1:26 am
Original Member

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
in fact...one somewhat dumb question maybe, but how do I know what benefits this card gives me, besides going to the Visa Infinite website (not from UOB) ?

in the card package they sent me, there's the credit card, the priority pass card, a bunch of forms (e.g. supp card application, monthly auto debit, award redemption, fee structure, etc), but there's really nothing describing the benefits/privileges that come with the card. in the letter in the package, it says "A summary of the UOB Visa Infinite Benefits and Privileges is enclosed to give you an insight into the exclusive privileges of UOB Visa Infinite"...but I really found absolutely nothing in the pack besides the forms, and it's very much unlike any other credit card (at least a small booklet describing the benefits). e.g. I don't even know how many UNI$ I'm supposed to get per dollar spent locally and overseas (unless I remember the details from the previous invitation/application letter), the specific private clubs I have access to, any discount offers with any merchants (most of this discount offers should be UOB-specific and so can't be found on the Visa Infinite website), etc...

I'm going to call them now to ask them all these questions...but just somewhat surprised by the level of service so far from this supposedly highest-end Visa card...do they really expect every card member to call them to get all these details ? or is the benefits/privileges booklet mailed separately (but then it's contradictory to what the letter says, "a summary...is enclosed") ?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 3:11 am

Programs: Centurion, Lan Platinum, ANA Mileage Club, HHonors D, SPG G
Ted,

do let us know what you find out from UOB. I've still got the application sitting on my desk. does the VISA infinite website provide any info?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 8:34 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by chinatown
Ted,

do let us know what you find out from UOB. I've still got the application sitting on my desk. does the VISA infinite website provide any info?
yes, the Visa Infinite website does give some information, but (1) it's outdated already (e.g. Four Seasons club access still listed there), and from my experience with the Visa Platinum website, I don't expect the details there to be updated too soon (2) most often the benefits of these credit cards come from the banks themselves and not the as part of Visa Platinum/Infinite central organization - so I'm looking for what UOB is providing beyond the relatively simple core Visa Infinite offerings.

I called the UOB service center, at first the agent didn't quite understand what I meant, but after a couple of minutes he realized it and said it's probably because the 2008 benefits booklet is not yet ready (come on - they shouldn't be working on this only after 2008 has started - I have received the 2008 version of HSBC Premier card benefits in the mail in the past few days already), and so they didn't include any for me (then, frankly, this being a supposedly quite high-end card, I'd expect them to at least change the letter a little bit to reflect this and not still said the booklet is enclosed). I asked when I can expect the 2008 booklet then, he said probably another month or two. I then asked him to send me the 2007 version first for me to have a look (and in fact I also want to compare later what they added / took out in the 2008 version). He said I'll get it in a week's time - let's see how long it takes this time.

I also give them the feedback about the long processing time of the card application, and the fact that the delivery of the card (by DHL) took 2 weeks more than what they promised on the phone - he said they'll look into it, then I also asked them for a formal reply too after they have found out why.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:13 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by tedhl
yes, the Visa Infinite website does give some information, but (1) it's outdated already (e.g. Four Seasons club access still listed there), and from my experience with the Visa Platinum website, I don't expect the details there to be updated too soon
I stand corrected - I checked the Visa Infinite website after posting the above, and found that it's indeed been updated since I last checked (on Jan 2 or 3). Now instead of the Four Seasons Club access (i.e. the "free breakfast", and some other clubs that were shown there a few days ago), now there's 3 items under Private Club Access in HK:

- The Health Club at Kowloon Shangri-La
- Hong Lok Yuen Country Club
- World Trade Center Club Hong Kong

but, same as before, all these are once per month only...this limit in visit frequency really pales in comparison with the usual sense of club access from other cards. esp the one on health club, if I'm going to this gym / swimming pool once a month only, I probably would have some other memberships to access other health clubs anyway...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:17 am
Original Member

BTW - this way of checking the benefits of my new Visa Infinite card, from the Visa Infinite Asia Pacific website - I also figured out by myself by Google only, and if I remember right, none of the UOB letters / agents ever mentioned about it. From the official sources from UOB so far, I only know about the sign-on bonus of UNI$720k as the only benefit of this card...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
is the card still available?
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:11 am

yeah i wonder what's the point of giving a once a month health club benefit.. seems pretty pointless to me.. not to mention the KL Shangri La is likely out of the way for most people. that screams CRAP OFFER

World Trade Center club- crap offer once again

seems like the UOB service is mediocre at best. But in my application, i did get a business card of a AVP Sales & Customer Relations - Premium Cards, attached to it. Perhaps you can call her..

Wendy Li- 2209 3003 (direct line)

I hope that she can answer the questions you asked the agent previously.. Seems like UOB doesn't have the service to match the alleged tier of the Visa Infinite. Pales in comparison to a AE Platinum Card (not the plat credit card) Customer service reps for AE plat card Hong Kong seem more "on the ball" and can answer to any questions immediately, or at least call back in 5 mins with an answer.

By the looks of it, the 500k Asia Miles for 50000HKD looks like a thing of the past. In the meantime, ill just keep churning away at that ol reliable Standard Chartered Amex.. 3 bucks hkd an Asia mile is still good as gold in my books.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:11 pm

As far as benefits go, to me the UOB visa infinite card only offers the priority pass benefit and an average way to gain miles... one has to decide if it is worth paying 6K HKD for these benefits.... With respect to other "benefits" offered by Visa Infinite, I feel they would become more crappy as the economy improves ... like more of these "once per month" visits will become standard... As far as UOB goes, I am not expecting anything from them ...
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Agree with you on the value of the free Priority Pass access. I still think that if you are after the AMs, you can consider paying $6380 for 60,000 AM. It is still a great way to top up miles.

Hemz88: Yes, it is still a/v. You can send PM to me for a referral and get the invitation package.

I hope that the AM purchasing promo program will be on soon!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 11:47 pm

Programs: CX DM / Marriott LT Titanium
cardiology : got the invitation pkg this morning, the rep came to see me. they plan on starting the AM purchase program again, they are working on a pricing restructure.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 1:37 am

Re: Pricing restructure

interesting... Maybe a decrease on the amount of miles for $50000? just pure speculation from my end. If the rep told u that they're going to have it again this year, perhaps its worth applying for with the annual fee waiver.. just to be on the safe side - in case the offer of Miles for cash doesnt tickle your fancy.

but 6300 dollars for 60k AM isnt half bad i suppose.. have to agree with cardio on that bit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.