Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance as a GO?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2007, 1:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Baggage allowance as a GO?

I'll be flying LHR-HKG in Y in 2 weeks, and I have been told that I have 30kg allowance. Knowing that I might have a lot of stuff to carry, I have been trying to increase my baggage allowance without paying. I called MPO, the CSO told me to redeem a voucher with miles. Then I called CX res, the answer was a straight no. This is the first time in years that I will be taking excess baggage with me, so any tips on how to avoid being charged for excess baggage? ^
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:00 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
30!? i thought you get more being GO. Im a silver and im entitled to 20 +10.

according to here, you should have 20+15kg....
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by kchika
I'll be flying LHR-HKG in Y in 2 weeks, and I have been told that I have 30kg allowance. Knowing that I might have a lot of stuff to carry, I have been trying to increase my baggage allowance without paying. I called MPO, the CSO told me to redeem a voucher with miles. Then I called CX res, the answer was a straight no. This is the first time in years that I will be taking excess baggage with me, so any tips on how to avoid being charged for excess baggage? ^
How much more do you intend to take?

MPC or CX res will not help you even if you're DM!

The only people to help you increase your baggage limit are the CX sales people - in CX offices. You have to go speak to some of them or get your TA to talk to them and give them a reason why you need the extra limits.

I moved from LHR to SIN way back in 2000 and even though was travelling in F, both MPC and CX res would only allow 40kg. That's it. I was close to having 70kg then.

It was only through a contact at CX in LHR that I got in touch of some CX personnel. They knew who I was, and they basically said do not call CX res. They will put note on my PNR and advise LHR check-in. So on day of departure, I was well taken care of. I checked in 4 bags totalling around 80kg!

However, the check in is now done by AA these days, and I don't know who you can call nowadays.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 2:59 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
However, the check in is now done by AA these days, and I don't know who you can call nowadays.
Is it? The people who have checked me in at LHR have always worn a CX uniform.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sxc
Is it? The people who have checked me in at LHR have always worn a CX uniform.
Yes they are CX people. They have CX uniform and CX name badges. Also on the LHR security pass they have CX written on it. Hope they don't plan to substitute the CX staff as I find them to be pretty helpful.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Marsh
Yes they are CX people. They have CX uniform and CX name badges. Also on the LHR security pass they have CX written on it. Hope they don't plan to substitute the CX staff as I find them to be pretty helpful.
not sure if it is worth to outsource LHR ops... 4 flights a day and CX wouldnt want to piss 1000 ppl off every day

Last edited by kaka; Jun 25, 2007 at 10:36 am Reason: i cant stand my bad grammar...
Old Jun 25, 2007, 5:19 pm

Programs: BR Gold, MPC Silver
As gold, I've been able to check in to my monthly LAX-HKG-MNL flight with 3 checked baggages at 30Kg each at no charge.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
That's because it's transpacific, and the rules are different for transpacific. For a Gold on an itinerary including a transpacific flight your allowance is 3 pieces of up to 32kg each (2 is standard, 1 more for being Gold).
Old Jun 25, 2007, 8:17 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
A lot depends upon which city you are checking in. As a silver, I regularly have up to 40 KG flying in Y class and its ok. Its only if it gets over this do they scold, but I haven't had to pay yet. There is a tolerance for FF over and above the extended limit I have found.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:27 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I often travel with no checked luggage. My carry-on is normally less than 10kg. It is just too much a hassle for me to haul luggage in and out hotels, cars and airports.

I thought most FFs were like me. I am apparently wrong. Are you guys carrying brochures or equipment when traveling? 30kg-40kg is a lot.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:31 pm

Programs: JL Sapphire, Aegean Gold, Accor Platinum, HHonours Gold
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
I often travel with no checked luggage. My carry-on is normally less than 10kg. It is just too much a hassle for me to haul luggage in and out hotels, cars and airports.

I thought most FFs were like me. I am apparently wrong. Are you guys carrying brochures or equipment when traveling? 30kg-40kg is a lot.
Coming back from Syd to HKG Ive always got goodies such as books, honey, etc. Things expensive in HK.
Old Jun 25, 2007, 9:46 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Originally Posted by hau cheng
Coming back from Syd to HKG Ive always got goodies such as books, honey, etc. Things expensive in HK.
No wonder.
Old Jun 26, 2007, 3:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hau cheng
A lot depends upon which city you are checking in. As a silver, I regularly have up to 40 KG flying in Y class and its ok. Its only if it gets over this do they scold, but I haven't had to pay yet. There is a tolerance for FF over and above the extended limit I have found.
I had a student offer(+15kg) and the silver benifit (+10kg) once in HKG. My luggage was 53 kg in total, and they were clearly unhappy and i had to take my steel-toe boots out. Eventually I went through without paying when it went under 50kg... (20+15+10+5(buffer)). Not sure if it was because of 50kg that they arent happy with, or they just worked along the rules.

Now I'm moving back, this post makes me wonder if i should try take more things than i'm allowed to. (However, i'm wondering if i could interline onto BR from CX and carry all my 20kg+ luggage without a problem from LHR)
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Sorry all,
I know it has been discussed and baggage limits are quite "flexible" due to the checkin agent. but, I'm flying on LHR-HKG today and have realized I might have a luggage problem. Say i have 50kg of baggage, how likely will i be charged over-weight luggage? And is there a "rate" for charging luggage?

Last edited by kaka; Jul 2, 2007 at 7:10 pm Reason: found BA's excess baggage info
Old Jul 2, 2007, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
In F, not at all. In J, maybe. In Y almost certainly.

1% of the first class fare per kg is the book rate I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.