Gold Early Renewal - How to avoid waste?

Old Jun 20, 07, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Diamond, AA Gold, Bonvoy Platinum
Gold Early Renewal - How to avoid waste?

I am currently Gold. My anniversary date is end of August. I have reached 60,000 - with no chance to reach 120,000 for Diamond by August. However I have at least 10,000 this weekend and maybe 20,000 more miles by the annniversary.

I called Marco Polo and asked to renew Gold early but they say it cannot be done on the same tier (Gold) only for Diamond. Supervisor confirmed.

I want the 10K or more I will fly, to count for next year.

One suggestion (by a MP agent) was that I remove my MP number from the record, save the boarding passes and call them in September. The disadvantages are that I cannot monitor the record online, and perhaps miss an upgrade opportunity as their system will not know I am gold. I am travelling on a Business ticket - so lounge access is not an issue.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:11 pm

Programs: QF Emerald. CX Nobody
2 things.

First: I hear your miles aren't "wasted". Yes those 20,000k will not be recorded officially, but say in case your next year's qualifying mile is 40,000, they will consider this "20,000 extra" you gained this year, and my extend you gold requalification. It's unofficial, it's not gurantteed, but it has happened to others I hear. Or say you only fly 15000 next year, they may extend you Silver based on this. It's an recurring issue but there's unofficial policy in place.

Second: I'm really surprised that MPC staff suggested you remove MPC#. It's a dirty trick that's talked about here and elsewhere, but for CX to suggest this to you, is beyond my comprehension. Oh well, again, the trick is keep the MPC# in your records, but just prior to boarding (when op-ups would have been processed anyways), ask them to remove the FFP number from record, and get a new BP not showing the #. If you are lucky enough to be op-upped, they would have finished all seat-allocations so I doubt they will "cancel" the op-up after you remove ur MPC#.

A note though, if you remove ur MPC# at check-in and you are given op-up, the agent will say you no longer qualify for op-up, and literally give you Y-bpass instead. So trick is wait until flight is closed, say 30min before departure.
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fakecd View Post
2 things.

First: I hear your miles aren't "wasted". Yes those 20,000k will not be recorded officially, but say in case your next year's qualifying mile is 40,000, they will consider this "20,000 extra" you gained this year, and my extend you gold requalification. It's unofficial, it's not gurantteed, but it has happened to others I hear. Or say you only fly 15000 next year, they may extend you Silver based on this. It's an recurring issue but there's unofficial policy in place.

Second: I'm really surprised that MPC staff suggested you remove MPC#. It's a dirty trick that's talked about here and elsewhere, but for CX to suggest this to you, is beyond my comprehension. Oh well, again, the trick is keep the MPC# in your records, but just prior to boarding (when op-ups would have been processed anyways), ask them to remove the FFP number from record, and get a new BP not showing the #. If you are lucky enough to be op-upped, they would have finished all seat-allocations so I doubt they will "cancel" the op-up after you remove ur MPC#.

A note though, if you remove ur MPC# at check-in and you are given op-up, the agent will say you no longer qualify for op-up, and literally give you Y-bpass instead. So trick is wait until flight is closed, say 30min before departure.
As dirty tricks are concerned... ive got a LHR-HKG and connecting to HKG-TPE on BR. Is it possible to get a redemption ticket, get the lounge pass, arrive HKG, pick up luggage, call MPC to change dates, check in with BR, use CX lounge, board BR flight?
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:44 pm
Moderator: Cathay Pacific Asia Miles and Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
I do not know if the extra 20000 miles this membership year can be considered for renewal the next year, but it cannot be used for qualification for the next tier - at least this was the case for me. If OP has 100000 miles the next membership year, I don't think the extra 20000 miles this year can be added to give him a Diamond status. If that is OP's intention, then the miles may be wasted.

Personally I have not tried the trick of removing the MPC# and adding back later, and I don't know if I will ever try that. It sounds like it has been working for people.
Old Jun 20, 07, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by kaka View Post
As dirty tricks are concerned... ive got a LHR-HKG and connecting to HKG-TPE on BR. Is it possible to get a redemption ticket, get the lounge pass, arrive HKG, pick up luggage, call MPC to change dates, check in with BR, use CX lounge, board BR flight?
A couple of notes:
* Somehow I do not like this idea, even if it works.
* Except for DM, how can you get into CX lounge without first checking-in at CX? If you check in, do you uncheck-in after you arrive at the lounge?
* CX will have a record of you accessing the lounge and not taking the flight. I don't know whether that will affect your future dealing with MPC when you really need help.
* You have to find a way to use your unused award ticket before it expires.
* Even if it works, I think that is really too much trouble to get to the lounge.
Old Jun 21, 07, 1:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 View Post
A couple of notes:
* Somehow I do not like this idea, even if it works.
* Except for DM, how can you get into CX lounge without first checking-in at CX? If you check in, do you uncheck-in after you arrive at the lounge?
* CX will have a record of you accessing the lounge and not taking the flight. I don't know whether that will affect your future dealing with MPC when you really need help.
* You have to find a way to use your unused award ticket before it expires.
* Even if it works, I think that is really too much trouble to get to the lounge.
ok. the thing is, i've already had a ticket on LHR-HKG and HKG-TPE on seperate tickets. I can checkin for both flights in london i suppose(so i have both the lounge pass and BP).
Upon arrival to HK I'll call MPC to uncheckin, but i still hold the lounge invitation. OR even, hold BP and silver card to access lounge. Then they wont even have record (or they register membership details when accessing without an invitation?)
Use it then board my other flight.
Just thinking of the feasibility,,,,, so.
Old Jun 21, 07, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Don't do this. It can't be worth the risk of screwing up your whole relationship with CX just to get a few minutes in The Wing.
Old Jun 21, 07, 3:38 am
Suspended

noted and accepted. thanks
Old Jun 21, 07, 6:22 am
Suspended

I think a lot fof your guys have underestimated what CX knows and don't.

Sometimes CX turns a blind eye and let things get through, but if you keep on taking advantage of the system don't be surprised to get a nasty shock (ie. cancellation of the MPO membership as you have violated the T&C).
Old Jul 18, 07, 8:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (DM), Hilton Honors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by traveler18 View Post
I called Marco Polo and asked to renew Gold early but they say it cannot be done on the same tier (Gold) only for Diamond. Supervisor confirmed.

One suggestion (by a MP agent) was that I remove my MP number from the record, save the boarding passes and call them in September. The disadvantages are that I cannot monitor the record online, and perhaps miss an upgrade opportunity as their system will not know I am gold. I am travelling on a Business ticket - so lounge access is not an issue.

Any suggestions?
I'm in the same situation as of today. I just renewed my gold tier status, and my membership year doesn't end until sept 31st. The problem is that I will definitely not be flying 60K miles between now and Sept 31st to get to Diamond, but I will be flying about 10K miles on AA domestic flights in Aug and possibly 16K jfk-hkg in september. Has anyone tried that trick about removing the mpo number from the boarding pass prior to boarding? Because I am tempted to claim missing miles after Sept 31st b/c it will greatly help for re-qualifying gold, and actually might put diamond within reach for me for next year. But I'm unsure about just how "dirty" a trick it is and whether or not to risk it with CX. I don't think they can monitor the AA flight very closely, but the CX one, I'm not so sure about. Any opinions?
Old Jul 23, 07, 1:20 am

Programs: MPC Gold, SPG Gold, Silver HHonors, UA Prem Exec.
This happened to me in 2005, I reached my gold tier membership requirement early and MPC will not reset my miles until I reach the membership anniversary date. I ended up finishing my membership year with approx 75K miles. In 2006, I didn't need to travel as much and I ended up completing the membership year with about 10K short of retaining my gold status so I asked MPC to review my 15K credit from 2005 as part of the renewal calculation. They approved the request within minutes and renewed my gold membership. I don't think they will allow you to roll the credit over for more than one year but if you're are 20K short from reaching the Diamond tier then I reckon MPC will grant you the membership
Old Jul 23, 07, 2:21 am

Renewal current tier level is one thing. Upgrading is another. It is easier to request flexibility in renewal.
Old Jul 24, 07, 3:46 am

Programs: CX DM
Originally Posted by G-man82 View Post
But I'm unsure about just how "dirty" a trick it is and whether or not to risk it with CX. I don't think they can monitor the AA flight very closely, but the CX one, I'm not so sure about. Any opinions?
i've done this for several years now, and i've seen others do it. i can't speak for CX, but i don't see why they would mind. after all, they have good reason to base membership tier on crediting date rather than the activity date (and remind you of such on every statement).

remove the FFP while you are at the lounge and close to boarding.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: