FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cathay Pacific | Marco Polo Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club-487/)
-   -   Is Gold worth it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cathay-pacific-marco-polo-club/705139-gold-worth.html)

jwrhn Jun 18, 07 11:40 pm

Im kinda cheap so for me $1500 US for 2500 miles seems kinda steep....
Especillly given the fact the upgrade classes are going to cost more in October. I would assume you will only be eligible for an opup from one of the fare classses that are eligible..but I could be wrong.

cxfan1960 Jun 18, 07 11:55 pm

A roundtrip mileage run to PEK costs much less and will add a little more than 2500 miles.

The biggest benefit to me is seat guarantee, not op-up, because I need to travel on very short notice. Still, I did not like to do mileage run for some unknown reasons.

The traveler has to decide whether that is worthwhile.

kaka Jun 19, 07 12:55 am

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 7924159)
I think that may have to do with the routes, and possibly your point of origin. Some routes have a lot of J passengers and the chances of op-up are much smaller. Also it seems to be quite direction-dependent.

Agree: Cargo+Y thick routes - AMS/SFO... it might be easaier to nick one than F/Y thick routes - LHR/JFK

In fact I've got opuped once being Silver HKG-AMS.
not putting on any hope for the coming LHR-HKG... In fact I'm trying to see if i should reroute to AMS-HKG instead. but with the extra tax cost and 1 day delay AND a far from full Y class.... forget it.

Guy Betsy Jun 19, 07 7:24 am

Originally Posted by hau cheng (Post 7918910)
Is going to Gold worth it?

Is it worth me paying quite a deal more to go J class on a longer haul flight or contacting CX for a one month extension and booking a flight in September (when I hadn't planned on doing so)?

Many thanks.

Gold is worth it when you need to book the lowest class of economy class ticket and its sold out and GOLD status gets you that guaranteed seat more than 72 hours of travel! Great during peak travel days!

cxfan1960 Jun 19, 07 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by cxfan1960 (Post 7924249)
A roundtrip mileage run to PEK costs much less and will add a little more than 2500 miles.

The biggest benefit to me is seat guarantee, not op-up, because I need to travel on very short notice. Still, I did not like to do mileage run for some unknown reasons.

The traveler has to decide whether that is worthwhile.

I made a little mistake. Round-trip PEK will add a little less (not more) than 2500 miles.

kaka Jun 20, 07 3:18 am

Singapore or Seoul is what you should be looking for....
I'd be surprise if you need to whack out more than 5000 HKD for a ticket to SIN for V above.
Even D to BKK is just below 6000. (CX.com)

snowmilky Jun 23, 07 9:40 am

I joined MPC Dec, 2006. During the last 6 months, I collected almost 100K miles starting from zero. I took the HKG/PEK/HKG trip weekly and HKG/YYZ/HKG once every 2 month. I can tell you that I never get an op-up. I was on J only if I paid for it. So disappointed. I also wonder if I am black-listed.

I had an argument with the ground support staff in HKG when I was travelling with my wife to PEK. At that time, I was still silver. They declined my wife the lounge access. I am aware guest is not allowed for silver. However, we are talking about a close family here. The rule is so un-human.

I have been an Elite (Star Alliance Gold) with Aeroplan for 6 years. Their upgrade rules are well defined. The lounge access extends to all close family members travelled with me.

Perhaps, they treat the DM as a king. I can't tell as I have not been a DM. They certainly don't offer too much to middle tier members including silver and gold.

cxfan1960 Jun 23, 07 10:32 am

I never argued with anyone in CX, so I cannot comment on whether there is any black list for that. If you read my posts, you can also tell that I have not been op-upped often lately. With all cabins full, the chances of op-ups on many CX long-haul flights are small these days. For my flights to/from the Mainland, I mostly take KA, and I have never had an op-up on KA flights.

Some airlines have some well defined op-up/upgrade policies - AA, BR, etc. However, in the end, it is just a trade-off.

Guests are not allowed for lounge access for the lowest tier, but as I remembered (I still have 150,000 miles in UA, but I have not flied UA for years), in the case of Star Alliance Silver, there is no lounge access even for the member.

You should be a Gold member by now. You can take your wife with you.

kaka Jun 23, 07 10:52 am

I'd say they are quite tight on lounge access. There was once i was in the airport being told i was already silver prior to flying my last 3000 miles. Outcome? no way.
Another time it was "miles not posted yet". Also, its a no no no. That was in BKK.

Another time i was trying to force my gf and myself on the liast flight to TPE on waitlist. 15 mins before checkin close, i went to B18 and gave them my silver card and had my fingers crossed. I told them i'm not getting on the bloody flight by myself. 10 mins later we both had our BP(of coz, we didnt sit together). Had i not been a silver or them seperating the waitlist i dont think i could have forced my way in. There was like 10-15 ppl waiting statusless.

TBH, the CX ground staff stands no obligation to argue with you. If the first answer is no, the rule says no. the answer from their superior will also be no. The more you argue the more you look like an idiot.

cxfan1960 Jun 23, 07 12:44 pm

I have the feeling that there is a MPO guide for members and there is one for the staff. Often the one for members shows the minimum they can do. There seems to be some additional guidelines on what the staff can do from my experience with CX, e.g. accessing CX lounge on KA flights (I believe also for Gold and Silver members too), award redemption, priority boarding with traveling party, etc.

However, in terms of the number of guests allowed for lounge accesses, there is very limited flexibity, and spending 7000 or 10000 miles for a lounge pass is really not worthwhile.

Getting back to the subject, while I never did, and probably shall never do, a mileage run for Gold or Diamond, being a high tier member is really worthwhile. I get a lot of convenience and flexibility when I fly - especially on CX and KA - and on other OW airlines as well.

jjpb3 Jun 23, 07 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by snowmilky (Post 7946789)
I had an argument with the ground support staff in HKG when I was travelling with my wife to PEK. At that time, I was still silver. They declined my wife the lounge access. I am aware guest is not allowed for silver. However, we are talking about a close family here. The rule is so un-human.

I'm sorry, but I can't say I have much sympathy for your side of the argument. The differential access for Golds vs. Silvers serves as an incentive to reach the higher tier; having a close family member with you does not justify undermining the structure of the FFP. If you were so concerned about leaving your wife alone, you could have stayed with her ... outside the lounge.

kaka Jun 23, 07 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by jjpb3 (Post 7947800)
I'm sorry, but I can't say I have much sympathy for your side of the argument. The differential access for Golds vs. Silvers serves as an incentive to reach the higher tier; having a close family member with you does not justify undermining the structure of the FFP. If you were so concerned about leaving your wife alone, you could have stayed with her ... outside the lounge.

I would try my luck, but would never push for entrance. (except for trying to sneak in... haha)

fakecd Jun 23, 07 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by snowmilky (Post 7946789)

:rolleyes:

I just don't get it. You make it sound like you are denied something you are entitled to, where the truth is, the rule black and white crystally clear say "Gold member above can take in the guest". So what makes this so un-human? You'd be more cool if you just went it, picked up 2 bottles of water, and met you wife outside.

When I travelled with my GF last, I didn't bother asking, yet "argument". Well, you're gold by now...

jujube Jun 23, 07 9:03 pm

Not to hijack the thread but the opportunity of op-ups are definitely down in last year or so based on family members (1DM and 2 Gold) travel experiences. Even on frequent routes like HKG-SIN they have not experienced as much op-ups either and CX last minute change of planes depending on capacity has allowed them to manage that too.

cxfan1960 Jun 23, 07 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by jujube (Post 7948725)
Not to hijack the thread but the opportunity of op-ups are definitely down in last year or so based on family members (1DM and 2 Gold) travel experiences. Even on frequent routes like HKG-SIN they have not experienced as much op-ups either and CX last minute change of planes depending on capacity has allowed them to manage that too.

Do they really do a lot of last minute change in planes?
* That can put the pre-assigned seats into chaos.
* Changing to planes with more Ys and fewer Js or more Js and fewer Fs? That seems to be a lot of trouble to avoid op-ups for passengers. Op-ups are good gestures to valued customers anyway.
* Changing to a smaller plane won't help overbooked flight.
* Changing to a bigger plane is too costly - it seems to me that op-ups are better options.