Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Airline Partner Upgrade Using CX Miles Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

I've tried searching, both here and on the cathaytalk forum. I've tried calling MPC but they don't answer! So,

1) If I use CX miles to upgrade a BA flight, do I pay for the BA flight first and then contact MPC for the upgrade? or
2) Do I contact MPC and pay for the flight and upgrade at the same time?
3) Given I can't seem to get through, is this something that can be done by any CX ticketing office?
4) If the upgrade is only available for one of the legs, can I still upgrade one leg and waitlist for the other or do I have to have confirmed upgrades for both legs?
5) Do I earn CX miles and club miles for the paid class?

I found the T&Cs on the AsiaMiles website but, while I could see how they applied to CX flights, I'm not clear in terms of Airline Partners.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:39 am

Originally Posted by ethan
I've tried searching, both here and on the cathaytalk forum. I've tried calling MPC but they don't answer! So,
I'm surprised, are you sure you're calling the right number, as a DM they should pick up very quickly.

1) If I use CX miles to upgrade a BA flight, do I pay for the BA flight first and then contact MPC for the upgrade? Yes, if there's award availability
3) Given I can't seem to get through, is this something that can be done by any CX ticketing office? 2747-5500 or [email protected] Call this number you will get through if you are a DM
4) If the upgrade is only available for one of the legs, can I still upgrade one leg and waitlist for the other or do I have to have confirmed upgrades for both legs? You can waitlist until the ticket deadline - then you will have to forgo the UG or redeem with the Wled segment replaced by another on some random date with availability
5) Do I earn CX miles and club miles for the paid class? If it's an eligible fare class, yes

I found the T&Cs on the AsiaMiles website but, while I could see how they applied to CX flights, I'm not clear in terms of Airline Partners

Seems crystal clear to me.

Last edited by B-HQC; Jun 8, 2007 at 7:09 am
Old Jun 8, 2007, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
3) That's the number I called - it's on the back of my DM card, but I don't get through - it wasn't even ringing - just silent (calling from overseas). Even though it is silent, am I meant to enter my membership number at this point? If that still doesn't work can I do this through the UK reservations line?

4) But according to CX website there is no oneway upgrade for BA partner airline. So does that mean I have to waitlist both legs or can I confirm one leg and waitlist the other? If it never clears do I just forgo the miles or do I get to use it later on a subsequent flight on that route?

Still not clear to me!
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:20 am

Check the CX website - MPO contact us. They have numbers for every country. yes, you are right about there not being one way UGs - I've edited my post above
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:46 am

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
If you are planning to travel anyway - with or without upgrade, then yes. Otherwise check on dates with upgrade availability first.

3) Given I can't seem to get through, is this something that can be done by any CX ticketing office? 2747-5500 or [email protected] Call this number you will get through if you are a DM.
The email response will be slow. It will also take many emails to settle.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Somewhat to my surprise there still seems to be a problem with the MPC number (+852 2747 5500 or +800 2747 5500). I tried today and it took over 20 redials before I could get anything except busy tone. Once you do get to the IVR as a DM then you get through pretty much straight away.

And yet a very senior CX manager told me several weeks agoi that within days of our meeting the capacity of the call centre would be increased 30%. Obviously either that didn't happen or it is still not enough.
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by christep
Somewhat to my surprise there still seems to be a problem with the MPC number (+852 2747 5500 or +800 2747 5500). I tried today and it took over 20 redials before I could get anything except busy tone. Once you do get to the IVR as a DM then you get through pretty much straight away.

And yet a very senior CX manager told me several weeks agoi that within days of our meeting the capacity of the call centre would be increased 30%. Obviously either that didn't happen or it is still not enough.
There was no problem up until last Sunday (HK time). This must have happened very recently.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 7:49 am

Programs: UA MM *G; Lifetime United Club; CX Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cxfan1960
There was no problem up until last Sunday (HK time). This must have happened very recently.
I too must have dailed 20 times last week to get through (I was calling from China and it was the HK number I called.). Pretty bad service if you ask me.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: No longer Diamond and missing the good old days of CX
Originally Posted by 1K Student
I too must have dailed 20 times last week to get through (I was calling from China and it was the HK number I called.). Pretty bad service if you ask me.
Do you have MPO elite status? What time of day (HKG time) are you calling? Both factors have significant effect on the time you have to wait.
Old Jun 10, 2007, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by 1K Student
There is a MPC number for northern China and another for southern China. However, you cannot call from a mobile phone or a payphone. I was in China in January and found that I could not call from my mobile phone. If I remember correctly, I could not even hear ringing. I did not have access to a land line. So I ended up calling the Hong Kong's number.

Also, if you have a mobile number in China, you can leave that with MPC. Last month when I was in PEK, I called MPC (using internet) but got disconnected twice. Before I called for the third time, they already called my mobile number in China.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Jun 10, 2007 at 9:29 am Reason: Also not accessible from payphone
Old Jun 10, 2007, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: None any more
Originally Posted by kchika
What time of day (HKG time) are you calling? Both factors have significant effect on the time you have to wait.
Yes, but what we are talking about is having to dial 20 times or more to get anything except busy tone! Yes, once connected to the MPC system and entering your number you get prioritised, but the problem is not being able to get through to the platform to enter the number!
Old Jun 10, 2007, 5:09 pm

Come think about it, I had no problem up to the end of last week calling the toll-free number from the US. However, I did recall when I was calling MPC from the lounge in HKG 2-3 weeks ago, it took me threes time to get through. The first two times were busy.

Last edited by cxfan1960; Jun 10, 2007 at 5:10 pm Reason: Fix typo
Old Jun 10, 2007, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA MM *G; Lifetime United Club; CX Gold; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by christep
Yes, but what we are talking about is having to dial 20 times or more to get anything except busy tone! Yes, once connected to the MPC system and entering your number you get prioritised, but the problem is not being able to get through to the platform to enter the number!
Yes. The call just won't even connect! Once the call connects then everything is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.