Wiki Posts
Search

Switch From Sq To Cx Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2007, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, CX Diamond, AA Exec Platinum
Switch From Sq To Cx Advice Please

I am currently an SQ PPS Member, a Lufthansa Senator, and a Qantas Platinum member. I am intending on switching my travel to CX. I was wondering if it was possible to earn status through Marco Polo Club but earn miles into another oneworld account such as AA. This would be similar to SQ allowing one to earn PPS sectors with SQ but earn miles into a more generous star partners mileage program.

In addition what are my chances of earning diamond status? I fly SYD-HKG-JFK in F round trip twice annually as well as one HKG-DXB in J roundtrip and a HKG-PVG in F round trip. What bonus does one receive for F cabin travel?

Also I have one concern in that I have heard that the A330s will be converted to two cabins, with no 744 service to Australia does this mean that it will be a two cabin market? Also will the A340 non stop to JFK become two classes or will it be replaced by a three class 77W?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:02 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
For the first question: No. MPC status and AM miles comes together... Unless you have a European address then you could earn BA miles with MPC status.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:15 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
You will need to fly at least 210,000 miles within a max of 3 years in order to reach diamond, and then maintain 120,000 miles annually. You get 150% miles for F.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by JFKHKGSYD
I am currently an SQ PPS Member, a Lufthansa Senator, and a Qantas Platinum member. I am intending on switching my travel to CX. I was wondering if it was possible to earn status through Marco Polo Club but earn miles into another oneworld account such as AA. This would be similar to SQ allowing one to earn PPS sectors with SQ but earn miles into a more generous star partners mileage program.

No way

In addition what are my chances of earning diamond status? I fly SYD-HKG-JFK in F round trip twice annually as well as one HKG-DXB in J roundtrip and a HKG-PVG in F round trip. What bonus does one receive for F cabin travel?

That would come up to about 85k club miles. Diamond is 210k to qualify, 120k to renew. CX only gives 150% for F.

Also I have one concern in that I have heard that the A330s will be converted to two cabins, with no 744 service to Australia does this mean that it will be a two cabin market? Also will the A340 non stop to JFK become two classes or will it be replaced by a three class 77W?

While the fleet type used remains to be seen, SYD will definitely continue to see F service. The A346s to JFK will soon be replaced by 77Ws.

Thanks in advance for your help.
First of all you would not have enough Club Miles so qualify for Diamond anyway, so there is no point of using MPO since you already have OW Emerald. CX treats Emeralds well. Ironically, given the importance of CX's premium passengers, MPO does not reward them equitably (mileage wise) at all. Personally, this has been a major sour point with CX, and I switched to AAdv last year after many years of DM. Still, if you are content with all of this (and the rather high qualifying Club Miles) DM remains., by far, the most valuable OW Emerald tier due to the magnitude of "unpublished" benefits.

More importantly however, given your travel pattern, I would not recommend CX. Have you looked at the schedules? Taking CX SYD-HKG-JFK is a 30+ hour journey involving a almost five hour layover in HKG, I believe the QF one stop is around 20 hours, a full 10 hours less journey time. I do not know any premium traveler that would be content with such a major waste of time regardless of the quality difference between the two products, which quite frankly are not that great in F.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by kaka
For the first question: No. MPC status and AM miles comes together... Unless you have a European address then you could earn BA miles with MPC status.
BAEC not surprisingly have a worse redemption rate compared to Asiamiles.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by JFKHKGSYD

Hang on !

Why would you be asking such a question if you are already CX Diamond , as in your profile.

Unless you're not who you really are? You don't need to switch to MPC if you're only flying few CX flights - you can of course just credit towards your own OW FFPs.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Mar 27, 2007 at 8:52 am
Old Mar 27, 2007, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: None any more
GB, I believe this is our old "friend" who has been trolling here many times under many different guises...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.